MJ#757 ..it's an 87...no, it's a 95, no, it's a...97+?

Well, I understand why you're doing it. All the transmissions/gearboxes, etc in the stuff I work on is either painted gloss light grey, gloss white, or bare stainless. If it leaks even a drop, you know. And you can wipe it up easily right then, then fix the leak whenever time allows.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I understand why you're doing it. All the transmissions/gearboxes, etc in the stuff I work on is either painted gloss light grey, gloss white, or bare stainless. If it leaks even a drop, you know. And you can wipe it up easily right then, then fix the leak whenever time allows.

exactly. I'm taking care of my truck, so that it will let me know when it needs me to take more care of it :roll:

my dad is going to acid wash the borla and downpipe and clamps at work on monday for me, so I couldn't bolt down the intake and exhaust today...but I got the water pump sealed up, cleaned up the throttle body, fuel rail, injectors, and valve cover and painted them today.

here's the results.

the fuel rail is the only thing so far to get straight gloss black

I'll be putting the dizzy on in the morning, with the dipstick tube. then I'm cleaning the a/c compressor and mounting it. I'll be making tabs to permanently mount to it for easy engine removal too. it needs to come off of the stand, because the 3800 is coming in on monday to have it's engine removed. it needs to be running and driving by mid-december now since my dad's diesel is about dead. he's going to drive the 3800 while we restore the smoker.

I'm going to be working on a tractor tomorrow, and we have to re-organize the shop tomorrow and get rid of everything that's in it that can be put in the barn. then we can get all of these projects done.

I didnt like the choice of white at first, but with everything setup it looks so sexy. Nice job man.

Damn I wish I had a shop like that.

thanks. a finished product always looks better, and I think it's what I was going for.

well, nothing new except the water pump is all torqued and sealed, and I have the intake/exhaust gasket, t-stat and it's gasket, and valve cover gasket to install now.

I also picked up an oil pan skid plate out of the deal.

pretty unnecessary, but you can't really go wrong with it...

I won't be working on it until the end of the week now, because I picked up a bigger fish tank and stand...so I need to clean it, reorganize my room, swap tanks, and get the trickle filter set up with the refugium. saltwater takes time to set up, but oh so worth it :D

:wall: :doh:

so I cleaned the 2000 wrangler intake today, and mounted it an the borla up. had some clearance issues, but I managed to grind off a bit of the intake, and put a bit of a divot in the header to make it work. hopefully this won't affect performance much or at all.

but...after doing all the work, I realized that I have a problem.

up to 1997, 4.0's used the power steering pump as the serpentine belt tensioner. with a 2000 intake, I don't have that option....luckily I have the tensioner bracket, but this means I have to get all new a/c pump and bracket, and alternator :rant: :headpop:

I'll post pics in a bit...

Yeah, Borla headers and the 99+ intakes are not compatible. Even of you buy a new one and ask if it will fit a 99+ XJ with no problems, they lie and say it will. With the fuzzy pics it's hard to tell what you grinded off the manifold to clear. I know on the strokers forum most guys could not get enough clearance for the Borlas. Luckily I had plenty w. my Mike Leach header. I wrote to Kolak first to make sure I had enough clearance before I installed it. :D

At first I modded my original p/s bracket to fit the new manifold, but didn't like it as it's a bear to get the tension right on the serp belt. It's much cleaner install and easier to adjust the belt using the 96+ p/s pump and bracket with the newer adjustable idler pulley. You can actually reuse your existing idler pulley near the A/C compressor; they're the same. And of course you have to get a new serp belt to fit the 99+ HO 4.0 XJ engines, NOT the GCs.

"I have to get all new a/c pump and bracket, and alternator". Why??

Yeah, Borla headers and the 99+ intakes are not compatible. Even of you buy a new one and ask if it will fit a 99+ XJ with no problems, they lie and say it will. With the fuzzy pics it's hard to tell what you grinded off the manifold to clear. I know on the strokers forum most guys could not get enough clearance for the Borlas. Luckily I had plenty w. my Mike Leach header. I wrote to Kolak first to make sure I had enough clearance before I installed it. :D

At first I modded my original p/s bracket to fit the new manifold, but didn't like it as it's a bear to get the tension right on the serp belt. It's much cleaner install and easier to adjust the belt using the 96+ p/s pump and bracket with the newer adjustable idler pulley. You can actually reuse your existing idler pulley near the A/C compressor; they're the same. And of course you have to get a new serp belt to fit the 99+ HO 4.0 XJ engines, NOT the GCs.

"I have to get all new a/c pump and bracket, and alternator". Why??

I only clearanced the intake a little bit, and actually put a 1/8" to 3/16" divot in the borla itself. if this proves restrictive, my brother will remove that section of tube, bend and weld a new one, and weld it in (certified welder, he built stainless aircraft exhaust at his last job, and modifications like this don't affect performance in his experience).

as for the a/c pump bracket etc, I had been looking at the tensioner and bracket from the '00 TJ motor I have in the barn...and it is all different. luckily in our pm's you reminded me about the 96+ bracket...which has worked out well for me.

I payed $1500 for the engine, 3 NEW genuine mopar oil filters ECU, TCM, interior and exterior wiring, 90k mile full gauges, transmission, fuel lines and filter, header, downtube, all new hoses, tranny skid, MORE mounts, and complete R134 system with new condensor and dryer. the intake was free, and the p/s bracket was $15 and the pulley for the pump was $5.

so, for that price I hardly feel bad modifying the borla...I still come out ahead of the game if I screw it up a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
look'n good bro, keep up the good work. i love the 99+ intake!!! :clapping:

thank you, thank you very much 8)

I'm done with the engine now, just need to bolt the flexplate back on, and clean the trans plus mount them together along with the trans mount.

this weekend I'll pull the dash out of the jeep, and disconnect the engine electrical. next weekend I'll pull it all, and clean/prep the engine bay...I also need to repair the front left corner at the same time, so I may get into a little inner fender trimming while I'm working on it. paint the engine bay, run the wiring in the engine bay, dash wiring, install the dash, splice the tail lights and fuel pump, and then the following weekend I would like to install the new motor and transmission.

and the build continues.

I got the truck running with the old motor so I could hopefully destroy the 4.0...but even with holes in pistons she keeps on taking it (with an erradic idle and a tendency to kill itself). I will get on with the swap within the next couple weeks.

the new engine is complete, and I just picked up the last of the wiring harness and electronics...so this weekend I'm laying everything out, and connecting it all up to be sure that everything is there.

then, clean up the harnesses since they're a bit dusty/muddy, and I will take most of the dash apart in the jeep, and get the floor shifter mounted...then I'll pull back the old harness and pain the inner fenders, let them dry, and mount the new ECM.

once done with that, the last thing to do is to gut it the following weekend, and get the new motor installed with the new trans. the weekend after that will consist of installing the new wiring, fuel pump, and fuel lines, and repairing the rear brakes. hopefully I can have it running and driving at that point, and have only finall tweaks to do.

progress!

goblazers, maybe this will make you a bit more jealous...but I just plumbed the air compressor into the building last week :D sorry, I had to. keep in mind that it's more $$$ than it's worth to keep the shop running...$200 a month in gas in the winter, $100 to $300 a month in electric depending on what's operating, and ALOT of upkeep on a 35 year old building that's in dire need of being done (i.e. 30,000 dollar roof job).

and the build continues.

progress!

goblazers, maybe this will make you a bit more jealous...but I just plumbed the air compressor into the building last week :D sorry, I had to. keep in mind that it's more $$$ than it's worth to keep the shop running...$200 a month in gas in the winter, $100 to $300 a month in electric depending on what's operating, and ALOT of upkeep on a 35 year old building that's in dire need of being done (i.e. 30,000 dollar roof job).

sounds like the makin of a MJ roof party :idea: isn't that how they use to do it way back then :cheers:

Read the comments. Supposedly after it cooled off, it started right up again and ran for like 5 minutes with no coolant or water pump before a piston came through the side of the block. Sounds like these engines have more lives than a cat.

Read the comments. Supposedly after it cooled off, it started right up again and ran for like 5 minutes with no coolant or water pump before a piston came through the side of the block. Sounds like these engines have more lives than a cat.

no sh*t right? mine's seized and wouldn't turn over, I broke it loose with a breaker bar (it was REALLY tight) and am still using it to move the truck around...but like I said, it doesn't run well AT ALL.

oh well. I got my block heater today. off to the shop to finish the motor.

on a slightly different note...

I'm ditching the bed, in favour of a tubular one which will be built along the lines of a popup camper with built-in rollbar and roof rack for my spares etc. I want it to look fairly stock, so it will have bedsides on it from another swb bed I have, but I won't feel bad if I scratch them.

that said...the 3800 now has a new shortbox, which means I need 2dr xj doors, and the cab will be extended. that may take awhile though.

well, I finally have the intake and exhaust torqued down and installed...have been waiting on the freeze plug to come in. picked that up on friday

so, popped out the proper freeze plug

all you need to do this project is a hammer, a punch/chisel, and a 5/16" ratchet ans short extension. I also used RTV ultrablack for better sealing.

freeze plug installed...but at that location, the plug would contact the borla, so I flipped it 180

intake, exhaust, and power steering mounted, as well as t-stat and housing. the left side and front of the motor are DONE

only thing left is to drain the oil that's in it (again), put the new O-ring on the oil filter adapter, fill, prime the system, install the distributor, and mount the valve cover. thats an hour or two worth of work, if that.

well, I finally have the intake and exhaust torqued down and installed...have been waiting on the freeze plug to come in. picked that up on friday

so, popped out the proper freeze plug

all you need to do this project is a hammer, a punch/chisel, and a 5/16" ratchet ans short extension. I also used RTV ultrablack for better sealing.

freeze plug installed...but at that location, the plug would contact the borla, so I flipped it 180

intake, exhaust, and power steering mounted, as well as t-stat and housing. the left side and front of the motor are DONE

only thing left is to drain the oil that's in it (again), put the new O-ring on the oil filter adapter, fill, prime the system, install the distributor, and mount the valve cover. thats an hour or two worth of work, if that.

Now if I can get him to plate the frame and stiffen the chassis up. It will be way more fun to blast at speed and also eliminate frame cracking. :thumbsup:

I have the templates. :D

He does owe me a seat riding shotgun on a wheeling trip when its all done.. :brows: He refuses to ride with me when I drive thou... :shake:

His 3.8 will be sweet as a boosted, lifted extended cab shortbox MJ. :cheers:

Sometimes being under pressure is a blast. jamminz.gif