MJ#757 ..it's an 87...no, it's a 95, no, it's a...97+?

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i envy you... alot :D

yeah but you should here the mouthful we all get about it...my mom HATES that all of us guys have these jeeps. three are mine, my brother has two, and my dad has one. I also have a parts cherokee behind the barn (it needs to go and soon) and enough parts to probably build two more less bodies. starting to thin out the parts cache though...i'm done with projects for awhile after rebuilding the diesel and the 3800.

lol my mom hates mine and she hardly sees it :nuts: nor a stash of parts. but one for now is fine i guess jamminz.gif

I agree. thoughts have crossed my mind to sell it all lately...starting to get sick of the forums and wrenching. overwhelmed actually. the 'rents are both right that I should get something to drive that doesn't need anything, and won't break on the way somewhere.

anyways, speaking of not breaking...I put 175 miles on the mj so far between today and yesterday. by the end of the day tomorrow, I should be up to 400 miles and my first oil change. it runs great, idles great, just needs the exhaust buttoned on properly (the rear pipe is ovaled out b/c it was too big, so it leaks), and all of the in-cab things such as lights and stereo installed.

I'm picking up a 91 H.O. fuel sending unit tomorrow from geonovast...trading him an xj one since he's running an xj tank in his wheeling truck. that will correct my fuel gauge issues and allow me to upgrade to the H.O. pump for a full conversion.

oh, I got bored so the center of the hood and header are black now...gonna continue this to the cowl, following the lines on the raised steel then paint the whole top black and bedline the bed right up over the rails. gonna bedline the bottom edge too most likely. pardon the bright pics.

if you look closely, you'll see the shifter extension I'm currently building. this will be a trigger-style shifter and I may consider making them. it will be alot shorter than it is currently.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the door wiring, power mirrors (yay no more chrome...garmj your chrome mirrors are on the way :D), and power switches and lock solenoids. still need to put the power window motors in, but waiting until I pick up the tinted windows to put those in.

1000 miles and running like a champ!

today I put the old school sony cd player in the 87, and put the driver and passenger door power wiring in. all that's left to get tunes in is take the knee board off, and install the crossover harness for the power windows locks and mirrors, and hook up a couple connectors. then put the window regs in.

still not done with the interior wiring for the interior and cargo lighting though...

OH! almost forgot...templated out my new rear bumper mounts using wade's from hucks4wd templates and expanding upon them. they're 24" long for the outer brackets. and I'll also have to convince him to make me 20" long the inner brackets. the center bolt from the factory mounting location is located 14" forward from the clevis mount.

now chris at hucks will cut them out from 1/4" steel plate and drill them for me this week. they'll use 8 bolts on the frame on each side, and a brace between the inner and outer piece which will have two bolts each side. side pulls will be no problem.

oh, the main bumper section is 2x6 3/16" wall box tube, the frame plates are 1/4" thick the outers will be 24" long from tip of clevis mount (they go completely through the bumper) to front edge of the plate, the inners are only about 20" long from inside of 2x6 tube to front and the inners are bolt-on while the outers are weld-through.

the side guards will be 2x3 3/16" wall box tube and braces for them will be 1x1 square tube or 1x2 something in that area.

yes, it will be heavy. BUT for only a bit more weight I'll have that much better protection. the bumper contours will follow that of 89eliminator's rear bumper.

I dropped $13 at the self wash today and came out with a pretty clean truck, no salt or grime built up underneath (people look at ya funny when you don a wetsuit and some goggles at the car wash, and climb underneath :nuts: )

anyways, as a result of the car wash...paint has begun to peal up on the passenger door. whoever painted the truck after it had it's wreck years ago didn't prep properly.

SO this spring when it's getting longarmed, it will get a paintjob. it's going to be semi-gloss black, OR I'm thinking of going black and white camo with it (very cool IMHO)

the interior will probably go to black since I've got a spare black interior from the 3800 (picked up my 98 charcoal interior a few weeks ago)

I also pulled the spare tire carrier, and toolbox out (permanently) and the drop-in bedliner. today I'm picking up the 88 chief I bought for parts...can you say rollbar? :brows: jamminz.gif

what do you guys think? just semi-gloss black, or camo black/white?

-Pat

revised bumper plans for side protection. obviously this is a very basic schematic.

do you plan on reinforcing the space between the frame rails just a thought. since quite a few have gotten smacked there and appears to attract other vehicles like a magnet. other wise it looks great :cheers:

revised bumper plans for side protection. obviously this is a very basic schematic.

do you plan on reinforcing the space between the frame rails just a thought. since quite a few have gotten smacked there and appears to attract other vehicles like a magnet. other wise it looks great :cheers:

yup. was kind of hard to portray here lol.

these are REALLY crappy pics.

but.

got the rollbar...it was already removed from the parts truck. unfortunately, couldn't pick up that 88 chief because the wiring is fubar. fuel pump only comes on when the radio is on, and the starter turns over at

-100 mph lol. so, I'll go tow it home next weekend.

anyways, here's the crappy pics of the bar mocked up in the 87. it needs the mounting plates all replaced but otherwise is in good shape.

spare tire mocked up in new location

OBA tank in it's location

so, for $250 for an 88 chief that's completley fubar rust-wise but only 130k miles, I think I did well.

got another dana 44 (3.73 gears possibly limited slip),

dana 30 (3.73 gears)

aw4,

np231 (never been engaged),

new radiator and nice e-fan,

good engine bay harness (this is great because the one from the 87 was fubar but this one is nice so I have a complete 4.0 swap kit),

factory front skid,

front tow hooks plus brackets

t-case skid

gas tank skid

split rear window

tan folding buckets plus brackets

full gauge cluster plus sending units

working dash clock

factory radio

good tan carpet

e-brake assembly

floor shifter assembly

tilt black steering column

cruise control

remote mirrors plus blockoff plates

nice 5 spoke jeep wheels and good tires

rollbar and frame brackets

I think it's funny how I can catagorize every part of value off the truck by now...

Pat, it would sure be nice if all your pics didn't look like there's a smoke fire going on in your garage. Any way you could upgrade the pics? I'm interested in what you are doing, but it all gets lost in the pics - zero detail. A newer digital camera might be in order? :cheers:

Pat, it would sure be nice if all your pics didn't look like there's a smoke fire going on in your garage. Any way you could upgrade the pics? I'm interested in what you are doing, but it all gets lost in the pics - zero detail. A newer digital camera might be in order? :cheers:

yep, i know. I cannot for the life of me find our damned digital camera...everyone says they don't know where it is, but obviously SOMEONE has it because it's not me. I don't want to spend the money on the digicam right now.

the pics were better before I swapped the faceplate on the cell phone...I think I'm gonna put the old one back on since that's free for now.