MJ#757 ..it's an 87...no, it's a 95, no, it's a...97+?

old motor is out, new one in, engine bay almost completely done, interior half done.

pics are here:

a few of the pics to post up.

piles of parts

removal/install

-

M.O.R.E. motor mounts

having issues with the 95 steering column bolting up...it's dispraportionate. oh well, it will work somehow.

progress :D

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That front bumper sure looks like a hassle to work around on a project like this.

oh no, not at all. if I hadn't already converted the headlight wiring over to H.O. wiring, it sure woulda been (you CANNOT remove the front clip without taking off the bumper). but as is, I've got a nice place to put all my tools, a great place to stand while doing work at the back of the engine bay. the hoist works just fine for this, it's long enough.

I love that front bumper...it's taken it's fair share of roadkill.

well, I got the dash and interior wiring back in, and the steering column mounted up.

now all that is left is;

install starter and battery wires, splice one wire for + to fuse box

install distributor cap rotor plugs and wires

bolt up torque converter and install dust shield

install cross-pipe for borla

install coolant reservoir

install speedo sensor and wiring harness

then fill it with coolant, and splice the wires. I also have to put the fuel pump back in, but will be just putting the renix pump back in as adapting the H.O. pump will kinda suck. it will at least run decent enough off of renix to move it.

as for the 95 column, the bottom mount is actually just a guide...it's either ceramic or plastic composit, and not bolted on. it slides and turns easy, and the lower bolt lines up properly. just had to drill one hole.

oh, there are some random interior things to be done yet too, but I'm none too concerned about those.

column installed

gauges and mileage on the xj i took the parts from. I'm changing the mileage to zero before I drive anywhere, and having it professionally done with a disclosure statement. I'm not trying to fool anyone, just to catalogue the miles on it since build.

out to go get that shtuff done.

there are two connectors going to the rear on the MJ harness...one of them is for speakers and interior wiring such as the cargo light and dome lights, the other goes to the tail lights.

anyways, I tore the xj rear wiring apart and removed everything from the rear doors on back, then cut it all apart and removed the fuel pump connector, then swapped the two pins on my fuel pump connector to reverse polarity.

dug through my parts and found a junk 2.5 interior harness from an 89 MJ, then cut the two connectors out so I could make an adapter connector.

I'm going back outside to put the fuel pump back in it (which has proven to be an absolute b*@$£ because of the slosh tray inside the tank), then to drop in the distributor, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, starter, and battery wiring.

will be working on it until it's running tonight...I've found the two fuel pump wires in each harness so that's all I need for it to run.

it runs! :thumbsup: :banana: :brows: jamminz.gif 8)

just not well.

I have to fill it with coolant, and transmission fluid.

then install the coolant sensor

then figure out why the starter doesn't come on when you turn the key...you have to manually start it with my plunger button right now

install the dust shield on the trans.

install the shifter cable and linkage

install PCV valve on valve cover, and figure out the vacuum system.

install coolant reservoir and connect.

install aux. fan.

wire in tail lights.

install crossover pipe.

how do you manually start it with your plunger stick?

it's a jumper wire with a plunger button on it, hook one end to the power on the battery, one end to the solenoid wire on the starter. turn key on, push button while looking in the engine bay.

think go-baby-go button off of a shifter.

Not running well might be because of your missing vacuum system.

nope, all vacuum was plugged...and the only vacuum disconnected was the charcoal canister and plumbing for vac. reservoir/heaterbox.

it's the distributor. cylinder number one was literally just before TDC and the distributor installed was hitting directly on, or slightly after TDC. I need to move it counterclockwise by one tooth, and it will run properly.

:yes: :clapping: :banana: :banana: RUNS AWESOME! jamminz.gif :cheers: :brows: 8) :bowdown:

I've just got to top off all fluids, put the proper coolant temp sender in, install the dust shield on trans, install the transmission shifter, connect the crossover pipe to the catalytic, hook up a few small vacuum items, splice the trans. control switches in, splice tail lights, aand re-install the kneeboard and center console.

oh, she sounds BEAUTIFUL while doing a peel btw :rotf:

so how will you be shifting gears? or did i miss that

floor shifter out of the cherokee. but when I put the floor shifter in the 1-2 position, I can select to lock it in to 1st gear by flipping a switch. I can also lock the torque converter in any gear.

so how will you be shifting gears? or did i miss that

I set him up with basically every part be needs. He has all the harnesses, computers, steering column, and all the good $#!& you can imagine and parts you can't too, :brows:

That engine was great and with 3,000 miles it was just broken in. jamminz.gif

I shouldn't have sold it, but Pats a stand-up guy and I know he will enjoy it. :yes:

Now that he has done one swap, he can help swap my '94 XJ parts onto my MJ no problem. ;)

the 95 shifter cable won't work...gotta use the one off the xj behind the barn. don't want to drill even more holes through the firewall.

Is that because you didn't use the '95 trans or because the firewall is different?

the 95 shifter cable won't work...gotta use the one off the xj behind the barn. don't want to drill even more holes through the firewall.

Is that because you didn't use the '95 trans or because the firewall is different?

trans are identical (the one in the truck is out of a 95 also), it's just because there wasn't a hole in the firewall.

now there is...I didn't feel the need to crawl under the xj to pull the cable, plus the routing of it was kinda ghey and looked tedious.

got the center console area "done", dash is "done" engine bay is "done".

what's left;

double-check fluids after first test drive.

install speedo sensor and wire (already connected, just need to swap with old cable)

wire tail lights

install aux. fan

install my aux. fan wiring harness, and fog light wiring harnesses with relays.

tie down various wires and hoses

install hood, wiper shroud, and wiper arms and blades.

then in the future wire the stereo from the 3800 into it and install the power locks, windows, and mirrors.

here's the fuel pumps. the silver one is renix, gold is H.O. they're not even close to being interchangeable.

overhead view. only thing I don't like is the blue spark plug wires

the white paint on the inner fenders and firewall really isn't that clean. not happy about that...it got oil sprayed everwhere.

need to install the hood, cowl, wipers. (and finish the wiring hanging from the mirror :ack: )

interior basically finished.

trans control panel. there is a torque converter lockup switch, 1st gear lock-in switch, and trans temp gauge.

new location of the 4x4 CAD air switch...directly between the stock center console and the remnant of the xj full center console.

here's the fuel pumps. the silver one is renix, gold is H.O. they're not even close to being interchangeable.

the white paint on the inner fenders and firewall really isn't that clean. not happy about that...it got oil sprayed everwhere.

need to install the hood, cowl, wipers. (and finish the wiring hanging from the mirror :ack: )

interior basically finished.

trans control panel. there is a torque converter lockup switch, 1st gear lock-in switch, and trans temp gauge.

new location of the 4x4 CAD air switch...directly between the stock center console and the remnant of the xj full center console.

I figured out what to do with the blue plug wires... :idea:

Put some pretty pink wire loom on them. :brows:

It would make your paint choices look so special. :rotf:

:cheers: