Is Comanche Club an Antique Car Club?

Tex06

Just like the title asks.... are we an "antique car club"?  

My state requires a notarized affidavit for antique tags *or* proof of membership to an antique car club. I'm curious if I need to pay $30 to a Notary or not. 

That’s interesting that you need proof to be in a car club that acknowledges it as antique to obtain a historic plate. If that’s what you are going for. I’ve always heard the rule if it’s 30 or older, it’s an antique. In AZ they will hand out historic vehicle plates to cars from the late 90’s which are just barely 20. 

But I guess we are if you look at it with the oldest MJ being 38. 

In WI, the car has to be 20 to get collector plates, nothing else is truly necessary.

At both the Kenosha Homecoming show and the All Breeds Jeep Show, I put Comanche Club down as my club affiliation. I feel like it would depend on the person who looks at your paperwork though. 

In Connecticut anything 20 years old or older is considered to be an antique. We no longer use the term "antique" for registration now, though. The official designation on the tags for years was  "Early American." Now they're changed it again, to "Classic Vehicle."

There's a catch, though. The vehicle has to be in original configuration. It doesn't have to be "original" -- it can be rough or it can be a frame-up restoration (not 100% applicable to an MJ or an XJ, of course), but it can't be modified. So lifts, monster tires, aftermarket flares, etc, would disqualify you.

Have to watch the definition. Antique vs Classic. Some have Antique as pre War II. Classic is usually 25 years or older. Also, there is collector. I think they can be any age, just a rare or older car. I think even new cars can be in the collector status for insurance. 

SC requires the car to at least be 25 years old, and it can only be used for club activities such as shows to be registered and plated as an antique. They restrict the driving to a certain amount of mileage a year, and you can't drive the car as you regularly would. You also have to have antique insurance on the car. However, if it's over 25 you can run a year of manufacture tag. So, since both my trailer and my Comanche are 86s I got a matching set of 86 car and trailer plates off eBay and can run them. 

Maybe we could make a printable "club membership" card for anyone who needed it? Kinkos does laminated stuff if it needs to be official looking.

21 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

That’s interesting that you need proof to be in a car club that acknowledges it as antique to obtain a historic plate. If that’s what you are going for. I’ve always heard the rule if it’s 30 or older, it’s an antique. In AZ they will hand out historic vehicle plates to cars from the late 90’s which are just barely 20. 

It's either a "proof of membership to an antique car club" or a notarized affidavit saying I won't modify my antique. I choose the former if possible. 

20 hours ago, Pete M said:

umm, not sure what I can offer to show proof of "being a club"?

I'm thinking a little card that says member on it is all they're looking for. 

5 hours ago, coheed said:

SC requires the car to at least be 25 years old, and it can only be used for club activities such as shows to be registered and plated as an antique. They restrict the driving to a certain amount of mileage a year, and you can't drive the car as you regularly would. You also have to have antique insurance on the car. However, if it's over 25 you can run a year of manufacture tag. So, since both my trailer and my Comanche are 86s I got a matching set of 86 car and trailer plates off eBay and can run them. 

Maybe we could make a printable "club membership" card for anyone who needed it? Kinkos does laminated stuff if it needs to be official looking.

This was my thought as well. 

I can also do the year of manufacture tags but antique Louisiana plates are hard to come by. 

19 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

It's 25+ in LA. I definitely qualify, i just want to get around signing an affidavit that I'll never ever modify my jeep. Membership in an "antique car club" let's me do that. 

48 minutes ago, Tex06 said:

I'm thinking a little card that says member on it is all their looking for. 

I thought Pete already had something like that. Lemme look ...

[Update] Found it:

37 minutes ago, Eagle said:

I thought Pete already had something like that. Lemme look ...

[Update] Found it:

It says that we do not have permission to see what you linked

21 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

It says that we do not have permission to see what you linked

And has a little frowny face ☹️ 

I might take a magnet and add my name to it if that's alright with you Pete. See if that qualifies me to get the plate. 

Insurance is the big thing on Classic, Antiques and collector Cars. I use Hagerty on my Bricklin. Minimal restrictions. Has to be in a lockable garage, can't use it for a DD. I am not sure on nighttime driving. 

On 5/9/2024 at 7:27 AM, 75sv1 said:

Insurance is the big thing on Classic, Antiques and collector Cars. I use Hagerty on my Bricklin. Minimal restrictions. Has to be in a lockable garage, can't use it for a DD. I am not sure on nighttime driving. 

This is a main reason I have normal everyday insurance on my 62 Austin Healey Sprite, it is registered and plated as and Antique.  According to PA it can't be used as a daily driver, though I've done it for 6 months straight.  Because it's registered as an Antique, my insurance is very cheap as they don't expect me to put many miles on it, and the data agrees with it as I only put 1500-2000 miles a year on the Sprite.

It sure seems based on this discussion, every state is different with their rules.  PA for instance is back and forth in proving originality and showing the vehicle is generally unmodified.  However if it's 25 years old, it can be registered as an antique and 15 years old it can be a classic.  The only thing that's odd to me is that antique trucks still are required to pay the payload capability fee that PA charges.  Even my friend with a 28 Ford Model A truck had to pay the extra money for payload during antique registration just because it's a truck.  The cool thing in PA is once it is registered as an antique, it is registered for life with no yearly registration.

Michigan offers both Historical Vehicle Plates and Authentic License Plates. Authentic Plates are plates that are era correct for the vehicle (@Chad R has one).

To qualify for a historical or authentic license plate, vehicle must be:
•    26 or more years old — based on vehicle model year subtracted from current calendar year
•    Owned solely as a collector's item
•    Used only for events such as historical club activities, parades, and car shows.

Note: A vehicle registered with a historical plate or authentic historic plate cannot be used for routine transportation, except during the month of August when it may be driven anywhere in the state without restrictions.

I was asked when I brought my longbed with me back to Manitoba if I wanted to register as a collector because it was over 25 years old, but I said no. Didn’t want the ugly yellow collector plates 😅 There’s also a requirement to maintain it at a minimum value of $5000 which is debatable at 545,000km. They don’t allow you to insure it for daily use either, although they’ve done away with the strict annual mileage cap they used to have.

The cost of insuring it is less on the grounds it’ll be mostly parked over the winter, instead of having to change to a lay-up policy over the winter and then not being able to drive it out onto the street if you need to without switching back. That’s about the only real benefit.

[Update] I just sent Pete a revised version, using Comic Sans. I think everyone should have that, and it appears to match the font used in the logo graphic.

I just e-mailed Pete a template for printing business card-size membership cards on Avery card stock. If Pete okays it, I'll leave it up to him how he wants to distribute the template. It's in Word, so anyone can open it to fill in your name and the date you joined.

The "ComancheClub.com" is in a font called Comic Strip MN. I don't know if that came onto my computer from Windows, or from some aftermarket font collection. If you don't have that font, try Comic Sans -- I think everyone has that.

image.png.6e11fde56ae3bd95b3933e7a70f2c2fb.png

Pete has received the template. I'm leaving it up to him to figure out how to make it available. I don't know if the forum software allows a way to make a Word document directly available for download.