Well, damn....

mjeff87

14 minutes ago, JMO413 said:

Totally agreeing with mini on this one. Nothing is ever FREE!!

truer words were never spoken.  we're paying for every single person in the hospital.  ever single workplace closure.  every person that can't work due to the debilitating side effects they incurred.  this is a global pandemic.  people getting sick costs this country serious money and people who aren't vaccinated are by far the largest group getting really sick.  it all comes back to us.  we are paying for it.  every penny.

I'm sure most of you know my mom was in an accident recently.  went to the hospital to get scans that showed brain bleeding.  the only reason she got a room in the ICU was because one of the covid people died earlier that day.  the kid in the other car had to go in for surgery, but by the time he was out of the ER, my mom had already taken that last room and so he was shipped via ambulance all the way to a different hospital that had some space.  then 2 days later mom needed to go to stepdown but ended up being trapped in the same ICU room (thereby denying anyone else who really needed it) because there were no available stepdown rooms, once again due to the plethora of covid patients. 

what do you think this costs us?  none of those people in the hospital are going to pay their substantial bill so it comes back to the rest of us via taxes or via health insurance premiums.  the longer this goes on, the more it costs us. 

the shot is free and safe and plentiful.  get it.  or at the very least, please stop any efforts at preventing others from getting it. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, mjeff87 said:

As of 0945 this morning, I got the covids.  Rapid test, so they followed up with a PCR to confirm...should have those results tomorrow hopefully.  I honestly think its a false positive, I feel absolutely fine.  No fever, not sick at all, no loss of olfactory senses.  Oh well, I get a 14 day paid vacation from work.:laugh:

If I really do have the coof, I give it a solid "meh".

Wishing you a quick recovery if you do have it.

19 hours ago, mjeff87 said:

As of 0945 this morning, I got the covids.  Rapid test, so they followed up with a PCR to confirm...should have those results tomorrow hopefully.  I honestly think its a false positive, I feel absolutely fine.  No fever, not sick at all, no loss of olfactory senses.  Oh well, I get a 14 day paid vacation from work.:laugh:

If I really do have the coof, I give it a solid "meh".

Lucky! I had it before it was cool and mainstream and I had to take personal days off of work to get better. Shortly after that anybody who got it had an additional bank of sick leave added to their time off to use just for Covid. Argh, I am bitter. 

I am curious, if you have no symptoms of being sick what prompted you to do the test in the first place?

12 minutes ago, MiNi Beast said:

:yeahthat: i wonder the legitimacy of those test myself. LIKE $80 FOR A TEST. :eek: can't say I would shell that out myself...:dunno:

CVS had a 2 pack for like $25 by me.  had to take them a few weeks back when i was sick.

either way, i wish this 'rona fear would just end already.  2 years in, with no end in sight.  

can't help but notice you said you want the "fear" to end, not the "horrible things that the illness is doing to people" to end.  :( 

either way, the only end is if enough people get masked and vaxed so we can choke out the spread. 

9 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

The horrible thing is what disinformation is doing to the people.

Over 800,000 dead so far, just in this country.  I wonder how many more will die because they believe the disinformation.  :(

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

can't help but notice you said you want the "fear" to end, not the "horrible things that the illness is doing to people" to end.  :( 

either way, the only end is if enough people get masked and vaxed so we can choke out the spread. 

dude i've been masked since it started, I'm sick of it.  

Just now, 89eliminator said:

dude i've been masked since it started, I'm sick of it.  

we're all tired of it.  :(  I think all americans can come together and agree on that.  :L: 

but sometimes the world just sucks and you have to do sucky things to get through it without it sucking way more.  :(   at least this isn't the spanish flu where they had no vaccine and the world more or less had to go with masks/distancing and then... wait for people to stop dying everywhere, I guess.  that had to suuuuck.  I can't even contemplate living through WW1, then the flu, then the great depression.  dang.  :(  :(  

4 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

:yeahthat: i wonder the legitimacy of those test myself. LIKE $80 FOR A TEST. :eek: can't say I would shell that out myself...:dunno:

Around here there is no cost for testing. Drive to pharmacy, sit in parking lot, call the # on a sign and a technician comes to your car window and you shove the q-tip up your nose. They go inside with the snotty q-tip then come back a few minutes later with the test result. 

I do not believe the covid illness is ever going to go away, just like the flu or common cold. It will probably fade into the background once the entire population (with a vaccination or not) has been exposed. It could be pretty much eradicated if a true inoculation could be developed, not one that simply reduces or eliminates the symptoms a person has when infected with the virus. An inoculation that prevents the infection is what could stop it in its tracks. 

I am the Pandemic Officer for the bank I work at, a position I gladly accepted in early 2019 because, what was the chance of that EVER happening? :brickwall: In our pandemic plan it states the illness causing a pandemic will most likely come and go in waves over a 3-5 year time frame... nope, I don't like the sound of that!

@Pete M It seems like your hospital situation is like ours. My local hospital recently closed the ICU due to a staffing shortage. I don't understand why they fired 2/3rds of the staff who did not want the covid vaccination. All they accomplished was closing critical wings of the building in a time when hospital beds are needed more than ever. Maybe I am obtuse, but wouldn't it be a better service to the community to let healthy people work weather they have been vaccinated or not? From what little I follow in the news, it seems like this is a normal practice across the country? 

based on what I've seen in interviews with the people running hospitals, it has to do with eliminating workers who are unwilling to do the bare minimum to prevent bringing a highly contagious pathogen into a place where very sick people tend to be. 

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

The only current end is enough people getting it.

Sorry, you are very wrong.  It just isn't how this type of respiratory disease works.  The vaccines are incredibly ineffective against controlling infection and spread; while proper masking offers somewhere between minor and significant advantages in certain situations, while doing nothing in others.  Omicron is simply way too contagious, and the vaccines are tailored to the original virus, not what is now a variant that has very much mutated in the areas that the vaccine produced antibodies target.  Vaccination can not win against something that is this easily spread and has such a short incubation period, nor can masking, hand washing, social distancing, disowning your own family because they didn't get vaccinated, or whatever other strategy currently is in place.  That does not mean this is a losing battle, or that what I am saying is cause for alarm, but what I am saying is that reality is (unsurprisingly) not the extreme that is being pushed from either side.

Everyone should look at the available vaccines and determine if it is worthwhile for them to take them, and choose whichever one is least likely to produce significant side effects given their situation.  Certain people absolutely should NOT be getting vaccinated.  Certain people absolutely SHOULD be.  Healthcare is not a "one size fits all" mantra, and it should be cause for alarm when anyone is pushing that narrative.  And yes, you should wash your hands, not touch your eyes/nose/mouth if they aren't washed, not go out if you're sick, consider wearing a N95 mask (cloth masks are effectively useless, and always have been) preferably with eye protection in certain settings, and definitely avoid high risk settings unless you're comfortable with the consequences, but most importantly actually try to be healthy in general. 

Obesity, poorly managed diabetes (as in, anything short of being fully managed), and vitamin deficiencies are some of the strongest correlations to severe illness; while interestingly enough mental health issues are also a strong correlation, with anxiety and stress being some of the major culprits.  So, get some exercise, stop eating at McWendy's King JR every meal, put down the god damn soda, engage in things that make you happy, and maybe (I mean definitely but can't say that) take some (4000IU~) supplemental vitamin D and just like that you'll probably knock it most of those major correlations.  Yes, correlation does not equal causation, but it's overwhelmingly not healthy people who are being hospitalized or even developing significant symptoms.  It's also overwhelmingly people who are D deficient who are.

I've handled/been in contact with hundreds of SARS-COV2 patients over the last year.  And yes, I'm vaccinated.  The above post is my opinion and not to be taken as medical advice.  Please be nice to other people, and don't disown your own family over this.

28 minutes ago, DirtyComanche said:

Sorry, you are very wrong.  It just isn't how this type of respiratory disease works.  The vaccines are incredibly ineffective against controlling infection and spread; while proper masking offers somewhere between minor and significant advantages in certain situations, while doing nothing in others.  Omicron is simply way too contagious, and the vaccines are tailored to the original virus, not what is now a variant that has very much mutated in the areas that the vaccine produced antibodies target.  Vaccination can not win against something that is this easily spread and has such a short incubation period, nor can masking, hand washing, social distancing, disowning your own family because they didn't get vaccinated, or whatever other strategy currently is in place.  That does not mean this is a losing battle, or that what I am saying is cause for alarm, but what I am saying is that reality is (unsurprisingly) not the extreme that is being pushed from either side.

Everyone should look at the available vaccines and determine if it is worthwhile for them to take them, and choose whichever one is least likely to produce significant side effects given their situation.  Certain people absolutely should NOT be getting vaccinated.  Certain people absolutely SHOULD be.  Healthcare is not a "one size fits all" mantra, and it should be cause for alarm when anyone is pushing that narrative.  And yes, you should wash your hands, not touch your eyes/nose/mouth if they aren't washed, not go out if you're sick, consider wearing a N95 mask (cloth masks are effectively useless, and always have been) preferably with eye protection in certain settings, and definitely avoid high risk settings unless you're comfortable with the consequences, but most importantly actually try to be healthy in general. 

Obesity, poorly managed diabetes (as in, anything short of being fully managed), and vitamin deficiencies are some of the strongest correlations to severe illness; while interestingly enough mental health issues are also a strong correlation, with anxiety and stress being some of the major culprits.  So, get some exercise, stop eating at McWendy's King JR every meal, put down the god damn soda, engage in things that make you happy, and maybe (I mean definitely but can't say that) take some (4000IU~) supplemental vitamin D and just like that you'll probably knock it most of those major correlations.  Yes, correlation does not equal causation, but it's overwhelmingly not healthy people who are being hospitalized or even developing significant symptoms.  It's also overwhelmingly people who are D deficient who are.

I've handled/been in contact with hundreds of SARS-COV2 patients over the last year.  And yes, I'm vaccinated.  The above post is my opinion and not to be taken as medical advice.  Please be nice to other people, and don't disown your own family over this.

I agree.

2 hours ago, 87Warrior said:

@Pete M It seems like your hospital situation is like ours. My local hospital recently closed the ICU due to a staffing shortage. I don't understand why they fired 2/3rds of the staff who did not want the covid vaccination. All they accomplished was closing critical wings of the building in a time when hospital beds are needed more than ever. Maybe I am obtuse, but wouldn't it be a better service to the community to let healthy people work weather they have been vaccinated or not? From what little I follow in the news, it seems like this is a normal practice across the country? 

This is the part that I don't understand. Why would you fire nurses who don't want the shot. They have all worked through the pandemic. It makes me wonder why someone in the medical field is willing to lose their job? Iowa put the kibosh on the whole requirement of the shot. The blood bank still went through with it and retained one nurse. That's says a ton to me. The lady while always runs the platelet machine left her job of 25 years ago she did have to get said shot.

you can catch covid again after already having it, so I guess we're all screwed.  :dunno: 

or

we can do the basics to lessen the chance of spreading it to our friends and family.  it's all about mitigation.  doing the basics that reduce the chances of the bad things happening. 

JMO you're going to see a lot of mixed responses because each decision is made by a different person or group that's making the choice based on their own needs at that time. 

11 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Alright alright guys. I don’t want to step in too much but let’s agree to disagree with everything going on in our country, wish mjeff to get better and move to better discussions worth while if the effort to type on the keyboard or phone. 

:L:

Personally I was always a fan of the Darwin Awards.  Pandemic, bring it on!  Way too many people on the planet as it is.  I'm also a big fan of sarcasm, just in case it went unnoticed.  If you don't want to get vaccinated that's fine by me.  Just agree not to go to the hospital when you come down with it and take up space from someone else who may need acute medical care for some other good reason besides personal freedom.  By the way, 94% of deaths from covid are now the unvaccinated.  People also need to go to hospitals and clinics for reasons other than the covid, say like me.  I want to know that the provider has taken the basic steps needed to keep from infecting me.  I'm old ya know, might not take that much and I'm not done with my Comanche yet.

2 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Alright alright guys. I don’t want to step in too much but let’s agree to disagree with everything going on in our country, wish mjeff to get better and move to better discussions worth while if the effort to type on the keyboard or phone. 

To be clear, this is great topic to discuss. Lets not try shutting down folks having a discussion. 

So good to hear from you DC...its been awhile :beerchug:.   Hope you're doing well.

As for why I got tested, it is a condition of my employ (since I didn't get vexxed, I have to test every week, been doing it since late August).

I'm almost sorry I started this whole thread, lol.  Day 2 of woo-flu, apparently, and all is still well.  Haven't gotten the PCR results back yet.  What a racket this is.  YMMV.

3 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

I appreciate your input and being in your position you have my respect. :beerbang:

Now with you stating that, i shall continue to enjoy my daily bowl of cereal. :grinyes:

1 minute ago, mjeff87 said:

So good to hear from you DC...its been awhile :beerchug:.   Hope you're doing well.

As for why I got tested, it is a condition of my employ (since I didn't get vexxed, I have to test every week, been doing it since late August).

I'm almost sorry I started this whole thread, lol.  Day 2 of woo-flu, apparently, and all is still well.  Haven't gotten the PCR results back yet.  What a racket this is.  YMMV.

Do you have taste yet? :confused:

• Pete M locked this topic