Well, damn....

mjeff87

I never lost taste or smell.  So far, anyway.

Like I said, if this really is the 'vid....I give it a solid "meh".  Like Scott said, if you're an out of shape pile of crap, you might have something to worry about with it.  I don't, and never did deny this was/is a real virus.  Right now, one of my wife's jiu jitsu friends is down pretty hard with it.  Hes half my age, and twice my fitness level but for some reason its hitting him harder than me.  Ive been on a steady regimen of C, D, Zinc and Quercetin for the last 18 months, pretty much since this whole mess began.  So, I suppose that's been a good ticket for me thus far.

Heard back from my boss earlier today.  He said HR should be in touch with me......within a MONTH.  I can only chuckle at this point.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it's looking like the viral load you start with matters a lot.  which makes sense because if you had passing contact with someone infected at the store, your body has less to fight off then someone who spent 2 hours in a car with raging cougher. 

Well, sounds like you may take it in stride and bkess be that, some unfortunately haven't. I hope for a speedy recovery and hope things go smoothly with hr and your financial situation isnt to dire for having to miss work. My buddy was sick as a dog with it but was more worried about missing work, cost him money as he didnt get a full 100% paycheck regardless. That is scariest for some over any virus. :sad:

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

it's looking like the viral load you start with matters a lot.  which makes sense because if you had passing contact with someone infected at the store, your body has less to fight off then someone who spent 2 hours in a car with raging cougher

Umm no thanks. :shaking:

My older brother just tested positive and he was vaccinated, but he hasn’t been vaccinated long enough to get the booster. He’s also in college and loves to go out to bars as well as work out in a gym every day, so he is constantly up close and personal with a lot of things. I’m pretty sure the vaccine helped reduce his symptoms to almost nothing, as he says he feels totally fine. In fact, I can hear him shrieking in his room right now over a video game. I think getting vaccinated is the way to go, if only to reduce the symptoms.

1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer
4.0 Liter w/ AW4 2WD

As far as work goes, I'm in a good spot.  My employer reinstated 80 hous of PHEL leave for anyone with symptoms or an actual positive test result.  Even without that, I have about 16 weeks of leave on hand (annual, personal, comp and sick leave combined) that i could use if needed.  I consider myself fortunate to a point in that regard....I know there's lots of folks who don't have either or both of those options available to them.

4 hours ago, 87Warrior said:

This exact scenario is why I always hated commercial flights!

Not so funny story....my wife and I were flying to Miami a couple years ago for a cruise vacation.  We boarded the (direct flight) plane here in Richmond, and a family of 3 seated themselves right behind us.  Little kid was snotting, coughing and spitting the whole way down (seated directly behind me).  3 days into our 7 day cruise, guess what I ended up with?  Yeah, flu.  Thanks kid.  That vacation started out nice, ended up a train wreck by the end for me.

5 hours ago, mjeff87 said:

Not so funny story....my wife and I were flying to Miami a couple years ago for a cruise vacation.  We boarded the (direct flight) plane here in Richmond, and a family of 3 seated themselves right behind us.  Little kid was snotting, coughing and spitting the whole way down (seated directly behind me).  3 days into our 7 day cruise, guess what I ended up with?  Yeah, flu.  Thanks kid.  That vacation started out nice, ended up a train wreck by the end for me.

That is a rotten way to spend a vacation. 

I got covid the second week into December and I had one of the two shots.

It hit me hard. Aches so bad it hurt to move. The worst chills I've ever had, shivering while wrapped in blankets. And one day I felt almost too weak to move. But I came out of it okay. Took an extra week after quarantine to get back to 100%. Lost my sense of smell for 3 days and that was it.

On 1/5/2022 at 4:28 PM, mjeff87 said:

As of 0945 this morning, I got the covids.  Rapid test, so they followed up with a PCR to confirm...should have those results tomorrow hopefully.  I honestly think its a false positive, I feel absolutely fine.  No fever, not sick at all, no loss of olfactory senses.  Oh well, I get a 14 day paid vacation from work.:laugh:

If I really do have the coof, I give it a solid "meh".

I hope your doing well, recovering, and 100% soon.

Thanks, still doing fine.

I couldn't stand waiting any longer for my employer to contact about my PCR confirmation test, so drove up to the test place this morning (at this point, they are almost 100% driveup/remote, so I just stayed in  my car).  Technically they aren't supposed to tell me anything (per the contract they have) but at this point the wheels have fallen off the train and they really don't care anymore.  It was positive and they printed off a copy of the test results for me.

So yeah, I officially have the covids.  I'm going to take them all some donuts on Monday....they really are busting their humps up there.

On 1/6/2022 at 4:19 PM, mjeff87 said:

So good to hear from you DC...its been awhile :beerchug:.   Hope you're doing well.

Been good, just really busy with work.  Haven't done anything with any of my Jeeps recently, so just stopped stopping in.  Trying to get back into it so I'm going to poke around here more often.

47 minutes ago, mjeff87 said:

Thanks, still doing fine.

And I'm sure you will be.  Likely you'll be over it in a few days.  :beerchug:

On 1/6/2022 at 4:32 PM, Pete M said:

you can catch covid again after already having it, so I guess we're all screwed.  :dunno: 

or

we can do the basics to lessen the chance of spreading it to our friends and family.  it's all about mitigation.  doing the basics that reduce the chances of the bad things happening. 

But you can also catch it -- and spread it to others -- after being vaccinated. What we're learning -- after the fact, for those of us (like me) who have been vaccinated -- is that the vaccine doesn't do much of anything. They're now claiming we need boosters every three months, and there's talk of going to EVERY month.

Seriously?

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

But you can also catch it -- and spread it to others -- after being vaccinated. What we're learning -- after the fact, for those of us (like me) who have been vaccinated -- is that the vaccine doesn't do much of anything. They're now claiming we need boosters every three months, and there's talk of going to EVERY month.

Seriously?

I got the shots because if I didn’t l would’ve lost my job, and the next day they pushed it out to 1/4/22 and now it probably will be scrapped by the supreme court with any luck.

Since l got the shot my left arm has been sore with occasional burning sensations, for over 5 weeks.

I am not going to get any boosters.

My wife got the booster and has been sick for two days.

there's simply no way to know how long the antibodies last in the human body until we try and test and measure and see.  and this is what's happening.  it sucks, but so do viruses.  biology is complicated and viruses are complicated and winning the war is complicated.  but there are scientists working on better treatments so it's not like we're stuck forever with only what we have now. 

7 minutes ago, FrankTheDog said:

I got the shots because if I didn’t l would’ve lost my job, and the next day they pushed it out to 1/4/22 and now it probably will be scrapped by the supreme court with any luck.

Since l got the shot my left arm has been sore with occasional burning sensations, for over 5 weeks.

I am not going to get any boosters.

My wife got the booster and has been sick for two days.

Thats the thing i don't like. :fistshake2:

as americans, who are constantly bombard with "we're free so you can't tell us what to do" motto, it can be hard to accept that government has the right to dictate safety, especially in the workplace.  hell, there's plenty of precedent for mandating vaccines to the general populace, regardless of work status.  but I'm curious as to how the Court will see the current proposal as written. 

"Right to dictate safety.."   :shhh: yeah I disagree. Perhaps regulation be best understood as more an over reach into my business. I can undertand the mask requirements on a bus or any federal buildings, hence "federal", being the feds giving covid funds to support businesses and what not.. but I can't help but think how these same businesses that utilized the funds to be able to continue to operate that now have to implement certain regulations now being a condition of acceptance of said funds. Backdoor reach around.....

you can absolutely disagree :L:  but the law is the law.  those laws give you your rights.  and those laws give the government their rights.  the balance is constantly fluctuating, but there's a LOT of precedence for this one.  :dunno:  but we shall see.  as always, we gotta wait for the courts to decide.

CAVEAT:   I have been vaccinated, so don’t think I am against the vaccine, per se.  However, the following comments about the vaccine and it’s roll-out are my observations.

In a former life, before I retired, I was a mechanical engineer for 40+ years.  The last 10 years of my career was involved in product/process quality.   As such, I dealt with a LOT of statistical data, and our decisions in industry were based on that data.

My point with saying the above is the way our government is approaching dealing with this virus is pretty much ignoring the statistics related to it’s impact on people as individuals.  Instead, like it often does, our government is trying to apply a “one size fits all” solution for the entire population.

We now have PLENTY of data that shows that, statistically, this disease is not the same for all people in terms of risk of infection, risk of hospitalization, or risk of death.  But, you wouldn’t know it from the message our government is sending related to this virus.

Government agencies have almost COMPLETELY hidden the fact that in general, this illness has a 99.7%+ chance of recovery, even without any sort of vaccine.  Furthermore, your chances of being serious ill or dying from Covid is HIGHLY dependent certain specific risk factors, including the following major ones:

1.     COMORBIDITIES – if you are diabetic, or very overweight, or have COPD, or CHF, and a few other serious medical issues before becoming infected, your chances of dying from Covid are FAR GREATER (by orders of magnitude) than for someone who does NOT have those issues.   The information being disseminated about this virus via government press releases and most media completely IGNORES these added risk factors.  

2.     AGE – Persons under the age of 45 or so are very unlikely to be seriously affected.  Yes, they will get sick, but the chances of dying are quite low (assuming none of the comorbidities mentioned above).  If the person is under the age of 18, virtually NOBODY will die from Covid.  In spite of this, we have the government and the media clamoring that all school children MUST be vaccinated, even though they are in the LOWEST RISK group.

In addition, we have a large percentage of the population was initially told (and still believes) that getting vaccinated will protect you from catching this infection.  If you “read the fine print” when the drug makers introduced the vaccines, they never said that the vaccine would PREVENT the infection.  Instead it was intended that the vaccines were designed to LESSEN THE SYMPTOMS and thus hasten the recovery. 

Additionally, those who study viruses and vaccines to control them have stated for years that viruses tend to mutate, and a thus vaccine that is effective now may not be effective with the next mutated strain of the virus.   (This is why flu shots are different each year.) 

Yet, for a long time, the government and media never told us that vaccines for Covid would be a “forever” thing.  Instead, they act like they were caught unaware of how the vaccines don’t deal well with the mutations of the original virus, and thus additional boosters are now required.

What I am trying to point out here is that our government “leaders” (I use that term loosely) have engaged in a campaign of “selected information” to distribute to the citzens.  To compound this, they have engaged in fear mongering, trying to induce EVERYONE to get the vaccine.  Worst of all, they have even resorted to economic terrorism, by threatening to shut down businesses that won’t FORCE their employees to get vaccinated.

The vaccine is not totally bad.  It carries risks for some portions of the population, but then again, so does the Covid infection.   However, the way this vaccine has been rolled out and presented to the population is a case study in government incompetence at it’s finest.

I completely agree with the poor roll out by the "leaders", understanding the lack of awareness of other "leaders" using the opportunities for person gain and their "contribution supporters".  Quite frankly, this "pandemic" has made me more aware of what is going on more so on a global scale, and in more awareness and reading from multiple sources and discussions with others around the country, I can only conclude that the roll out as had a big impact on people's minds. Honestly, I'm more concerned with the effects of the lack of leadership we are under currently. We are a resilient as people and feel this virus will be handled, science wise, in time, however the problem will be the new regulations and the new "normal" as I fear this fight is more then just a virus, but more importantly about our personal rights and current economics issues being overcasted by this "pandemic". GOVERNMENT can shut the whole country down, we have seen that, but to me personally my days have not changed  throughout the start or current state of affairs. I HAVE only become more aware of the sheep. 

The Federal government is tasked with protecting the integrity of the nation as a whole against threats both foreign and domestic.  The notion that vaccines don't work goes against the grain of history since the late 18th century when live attenuated vaccines were administered for small pox.  There's a whole history of diseases that have all but been irradicated for the most part because of the technology.  Typhoid, cholera, diphtheria, pertussis, polio, the list is long.  Right now the vaccine is by and large protecting against death from Covid 19.  All you have to do is look at the stats.... 94 percent of deaths from Covid 19 are among the unvaccinated.  The result is that the medical systems continue be overwhelmed by the pandemic.  Health care workers are leaving in droves because they are burned out and frankly they just don't give a $#!& any longer because the deaths are unnecessary.  It's called compassion burn out.

The government has a vested interest in a functioning healthcare system and it's effect on public safety.  A functioning military.  Try avoiding conscription during a war setting and see what happens to your personal freedom.  You ain't got none.  A functioning economic system is also in the government's interest.  As disfunctional as it has come to be it is still in the government's interest to regulate commerce and trade, both domestic and foreign.  The current state of affairs has clearly had a deleterious effect on commerce, employment, housing, not to mention the general welfare and its promotion thereof. 

Liberties don't come free.  They require sacrifice, responsibility, and the ability to see the benefit of those virtues as they pertain having a cohesive country capable of withstanding the vicissitudes and threats that seem to be endemic to modern life.  The magnitude of which only seem to grow in proportion to population growth and it's concomitant stressors to homeostasis.  Get the vaccine and we will all be better off.  Amazing how all those flag wavers don't seem to give a crap when the welfare of the country is at stake.  Me, Me, Me.....

• Pete M locked this topic