Taillight Stolen

Some *&^% person stole a taillight on my 87MJ that mostly stays at the mechanics shop.  Cut the wires.  The other taillight looks like they started to steal it but passed on it; it is hanging out.  I do believe we have a thieving MJ owner amongst us.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a tail light that will fit semi-temporarily without hacking up the body until a proper replacement is found?   I am not opposed to LED ones as a permanent replacement if they exist.  Has anyone crafted a piece of sheet metal that will fit the hole so that a temporary replacement could be mounted to it?

I hate a thief.  I've only had a few things stolen from me, but decades later I still remember each time.

While it's possible it was a fellow Comanche owner, it could also be someone who doesn't own one, but is aware how popular they are right now and is also aware the tail lights aren't available new.  If it were me, I would keep an eye on the local FB marketplace, craigslist, etc, and perhaps even do a search on ebay to see if I could find it listed for sale.

they took the sockets too!  what the heck!!  those come right out!  :fistshake2:  do we all need to use tamper resistant screws now?  :furious2:

a dakota tail can be used in a pinch, but you'll still need sockets.  :( 

5 minutes ago, 500 MJ said:

Ouch, that is rough. What side was stolen? I have a passenger side that is cracked but will work to get you legal again and the sockets you'd need to wire it back up. 

Torque_Shep has made the same offer.  Also cracked but no socket.  Let me find out more.  But in any case, I am impressed with the goodwill and willingness to help out.

8 hours ago, 500 MJ said:

Ouch, that is rough. What side was stolen? I have a passenger side that is cracked but will work to get you legal again and the sockets you'd need to wire it back up. 

The driver side one was stolen but the passenger side is damaged and hanging out.   Torq_Shep is going to send imperfect ones that are missing sockets, if you happen to have those and are willing to part ways with them, let me know.  Thanks! 

BTW, what's happening at the goat farm?

you can get new ones online or maybe even your local auto store. :L:  now's a great time to do both sides and get all new everything! :D  

I gotta at least try to see the silver lining in this tragedy. :( 

10 hours ago, Pete M said:

do we all need to use tamper resistant screws now?

I put tamper proof screws in quite awhile back.  Having lived in high crime areas for a good while I am naturally paranoid.  Any thief worth his or her salt probably has the drivers but just maybe they're not always that smart.  Tried to pick an odd one.

3 hours ago, Manche757 said:

The driver side one was stolen but the passenger side is damaged and hanging out.   Torq_Shep is going to send imperfect ones that are missing sockets, if you happen to have those and are willing to part ways with them, let me know.  Thanks! 

BTW, what's happening at the goat farm?

PMed! 

No goats here. Getting ready to dig out tree stumps and bring in fill dirt for the forthcoming pole barn. Just need lumber pricing to return to normal...

17 hours ago, Manche757 said:

Some *&^% person stole a taillight on my 87MJ that mostly stays at the mechanics shop.  Cut the wires.  The other taillight looks like they started to steal it but passed on it; it is hanging out.  I do believe we have a thieving MJ owner amongst us.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a tail light that will fit semi-temporarily without hacking up the body until a proper replacement is found?   I am not opposed to LED ones as a permanent replacement if they exist.  Has anyone crafted a piece of sheet metal that will fit the hole so that a temporary replacement could be mounted to it?

Karma is a mother eh. 

On 5/4/2021 at 9:36 AM, 500 MJ said:

I believe I am sending him a good passenger one and a cracked driver. They are in my van awaiting me finding a box later tonight to send them out.