Cash for Clunkers

CODriver

Yeah Tim I had a friend ask me why I don't do the cash for clunkers deal, I laughed and said the truck just needs to be repainted. I also remember seeing an HO mj in a LKQ lot that was straight and rust free and was dumbfounded way back then, wanted to go find the previous owner and try to shake some sense into them but knew it was too late. 

I wish they did a claim or trade for like. There were and are many XJs and MJs that I'd rather not see on the road. Also, a lot of other rust buckets. I wish I could have been able to swap my '98 XJ for a better one at that time. It also wiped out a lot of the lower end Auto Dealers. I think 3-5 just in my county couldn't get cars in the lower price range. 

Worst program ever. It crushed an industry and hurt the middle class in the US  beyond measure.

Never mind the destroying a right of passage for the dreaming kid who wanted to fix up the old jalopy.

Gone were the days of the inspectable/roadworthy $500 car that still had hope. 

The 86 XJ Wagoneer Limited that I got all my conversion parts from was a cash for clunkers trade in. I was lucky I worked at a dealership where they let us take stuff off the cars. That Waggy was spotless in excelent rust free condition. I wish I knew then what I know now about them, I would have saved more stuff off of it. But yeah, that program really screwed up the used car market in the US. And junk yards were only giving $50 each for the cars, which was really low considering that scrap values at the time were high. I guess with the junk yards not able to sell engine or transmission parts, and they had to scrap them totally within a certain period of time, made their overhead cost a bit higher too.