How old are you?

Minuit

CC Age Distribution  

59 members have voted

1. 1. How old are you?

2. 2. Were you a CC member before you turned 18?

On 3/3/2021 at 6:50 PM, ghetdjc320 said:

I remember my dad always telling me, nothing gets stuck more than a 4x4. It is pretty amazing how 2wd can get around. Pick your lines and it’s almost magical. Appologies @Minuit for the hijack. To answer the main question, I was born in the Renix MJ era

One of the rules of thumb "back in the day" was "Two-wheel in, four-wheel out." Meaning if you wanted to be sure you were going to get home, use 2-wheel drive and go as far as that would take you, so you would always have 4-wheel drive to extricate yourself.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Eagle said:

One of the rules of thumb "back in the day" was "Two-wheel in, four-wheel out." Meaning if you wanted to be sure you were going to get home, use 2-wheel drive and go as far as that would take you, so you would always have 4-wheel drive to extricate yourself.

Good rule of thumb for sure. My dad was raised on a sheep farm in the Dakotas and thought me how to drive in the prairies and crossing the creeks. Never needed 4wd, he just showed me how to pick my lines and now my limits. I took him out to Moab with me in 2017 and we never needed 4wd. Just lots of articulation and clearance it seems. The “slick” rock had loads of traction when dry. I think that’s the last time he wanted to go wheeling though lol. He’s a few years older than you and was not up for any more “jarring” rides. Driving on ice though the million dollar highway from Durango to Riverton in a YJ with 35’s and Detroit’s was a white knuckle experience. I think that’s the last time I really went wheeling anywhere. 

I had noticed some are quote young as well.  Some I didn't realize were as young as they are. 

Also thanks for the reminder I graduated to the third bracket this year turning 26.  This is the second time I've had to answer an age range question in the 26+ age bracket.  Kinda strange getting older because mentally you don't feel it but man physically you do. 

7 hours ago, Dzimm said:

Kinda strange getting older because mentally you don't feel it but man physically you do. 

Funny, I didn't really notice that until I hit 50. And all of a sudden, I don't bounce back like I used to. Now , with 60 looming, I'm starting to look forward to long term health issues, kidney problems, chest pain. Funny how quickly things change.

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

go back a few thousand years and the human body wasn't really expected to live past 40.  our long life is a relatively new thing, darwinism-ly speaking. 

If I may....From what I understand, that is a common misconception.  Archeological findings show that ancient humans were capable of living to ripe old ages, per dental and bone examinations.  Average life expectancy was low, for one, because surviving birth and early childhood had quite a high mortality rate.  Life expectancy was in reality pretty low but that was mostly due to many other factors like disease, sanitation, lack of medical capability, famine, wars, the list goes on.

I once said to a boss: People are living longer. 

He said “No. More people are living to an older age. “

In the late 1700’s, when life expectancy was probably 50, Ben Franklin died at 93. Very rare for the time. Today, many more people live into their 90’s. 

More people are surviving childhood diseases, lack of wars, and increased safety standards to live to an older age 

On 3/7/2021 at 11:31 PM, Dzimm said:

I had noticed some are quote young as well.  Some I didn't realize were as young as they are. 

Also thanks for the reminder I graduated to the third bracket this year turning 26.  This is the second time I've had to answer an age range question in the 26+ age bracket.  Kinda strange getting older because mentally you don't feel it but man physically you do. 

The physical is the worst part... 

Mentally I am more reserved and less likely to do stupid $#!& than when I was 16-21 but I think that is because it hurts more when I fall now...

9 hours ago, 87MJTIM said:

More people are surviving childhood diseases, lack of wars, and increased safety standards to live to an older age 

A function of my position necessitates checking the obits daily.  The majority of the under 50 group meet their end in an untimely fashion ... (lack of) safety, lifestyle ... etc.  We have five centenarians, one of which is 103 and usually accompanied by one of her two twin sons who are in their 80's.  Amazing.

I just made a 750 mile round trip to Pittsburg and back in 24 hours.  One of my old friends from up home died suddenly last Wednesday.  58 years old, dropped dead in his living room from a massive coronary event.  EMS was able to get a rhythm at the house, but he passed en route to the ER.  It gives you pause, when you get around this age.:sad:

6 minutes ago, mjeff87 said:

I just made a 750 mile round trip to Pittsburg and back in 24 hours.  One of my old friends from up home died suddenly last Wednesday.  58 years old, dropped dead in his living room from a massive coronary event.  EMS was able to get a rhythm at the house, but he passed en route to the ER.  It gives you pause, when you get around this age.:sad:

Yeah, I've lost a few high school classmates over the years.  I mean, you expect that things like car accidents or the like will happen.  But a few of them have had some health issues that took them out.  Hearing about it really sobers you up and makes you think about how much longer you'll have on this ball of rock.

7 hours ago, Torq_Shep said:

The physical is the worst part...

don't discount the possible mental issues for being life changers.  founding CC member Jim Oshel had a minor stroke and suddenly couldn't do the things he did before... and worse yet couldn't ever remember why.  Everyday he had to be calmed down multiple times and told that he had a stroke and that's why he couldn't remember how to fix anything.  :(

for me it's been nearly 20 years now since I first developed the brain swelling and then the chronic fatigue.  most days are still a real struggle to be useful.  just picture your life as it is now, but every day feels like the flu (just the mental fog, pain and body aches) and you can't remember crap because your body is fighting an imaginary fight.  good times.

biology is... complicated.  :dunno:

1 hour ago, derf said:

Yeah, I've lost a few high school classmates over the years.  I mean, you expect that things like car accidents or the like will happen.  But a few of them have had some health issues that took them out.  Hearing about it really sobers you up and makes you think about how much longer you'll have on this ball of rock.

Yep.  My (only) brother is 58 and is on dialysis.  He just got discharged from the hospital last Thursday after a 2 week stay.  He had a mini stroke and pretty much has lost function on the right side of his body.

51 minutes ago, Pete M said:

don't discount the possible mental issues for being life changers.  founding CC member Jim Oshel had a minor stroke and suddenly couldn't do the things he did before... and worse yet couldn't ever remember why.  Everyday he had to be calmed down multiple times and told that he had a stroke and that's why he couldn't remember how to fix anything.  :(

for me it's been nearly 20 years now since I first developed the brain swelling and then the chronic fatigue.  most days are still a real struggle to be useful.  just picture your life as it is now, but every day feels like the flu (just the mental fog, pain and body aches) and you can't remember crap because your body is fighting an imaginary fight.  good times.

biology is... complicated.  :dunno:

My biggest fear in my life, by far, is to lose my physical abilities but still retain my mental capacity.  I watched my grandfather go through Parkinson, althsizers and dementia.  I told my wife if that happens to me to just push me in front of a moving bus.  I don't want to see it happen.

This thread took a left turn, lol.

I'm 33 my grandfather owned a amc jeep dealership in the 70s and 80s, probably been visiting the comanche page since i started using the internet because my first vehicle was 86 2.5., well not true first licensed vehicle was the comanche first car was a Subaru justy then a 72 commando then comanche anyways life came full circle and I'm back my roots with the new purchase of a 88 4.0 and super happy with it, just lifted it 3 in drive it 1hr 20 minutes one way a day it leaks everything possible so lots to keep me busy as a bonus, me and my dads list of jeeps will take a min to compile but after joining i feel obligated to share plus was wanting to build a budget stroker and knew coming here wouldn't hurt my chances of success 

16154618678698162145951683002634.jpg

3 hours ago, Olympic said:

I'm 33 my grandfather owned a amc jeep dealership in the 70s and 80s, probably been visiting the comanche page since i started using the internet because my first vehicle was 86 2.5., well not true first licensed vehicle was the comanche first car was a Subaru justy then a 72 commando then comanche anyways life came full circle and I'm back my roots with the new purchase of a 88 4.0 and super happy with it, just lifted it 3 in drive it 1hr 20 minutes one way a day it leaks everything possible so lots to keep me busy as a bonus, me and my dads list of jeeps will take a min to compile but after joining i feel obligated to share plus was wanting to build a budget stroker and knew coming here wouldn't hurt my chances of success 

16154618678698162145951683002634.jpg

welcome!  :wavey:  be sure to start a build thread and get your baby into the CC registry  :D  

do you have any photos from the dealership back in the day?