Old School Look

I'm trying to give my MJ a more 80s/90s look as you can see with the stripes, wheels, and soon to be my sportbar. I am thinking of getting 4 lights to go across the sportbar (probably would just be there for looks) and I am wanting 2 on the front bumper (so I can see better at night). Are there any other things that I should look at adding to my truck to give it more of an old school look? I couldn't think of much else, but I didn't live in these eras. From what I am finding, a chrome front end would maybe give it more of an old school look, but again, I'm looking for suggestions and ideas.954574925_MystripedMJ.jpeg.cdedea93b08c9571b2f150029658433d.jpeg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, watchamakalit said:

Lots of chrome, 73' of lift and a bunch of big kc daylighters should do it

Thanks, I want to go to the JY in the spring and get a chrome front end, at some point (maybe next spring or summer) I want to add 2ish inches of lift, and I am thinking 4 daylighters on the sportbar. I was also thinking that maybe I should get the white and red Skyjacker shocks when I get more lift.

I think the shock boots will help with the retro look.  Seems that was all the rage to chrome everything and if it couldn't be chromed stick it in a bright red shock boot or wire loom.  lol

Personally I wouldn't change your truck a whole lot,  I think its a pretty sharp truck already.

Oh, man... didn’t think I was getting that old until someone asks about “old school” when I remember it all being “new school”.  :doh:

Here’s what you need for a bright blue truck: yellow shock boots to match the yellow KC light covers across the sport bar, a little more chrome, polished factory turbines or chrome wagon wheels, white letters out on BFG All Terrains, and a goofy tubular rear bumper. 

I agree with the rear window louvre. That definitely gives it the 80’s look. Damn that topper kills it for me, can’t argue with free on that. I’d recommend  looking at other cars from the 80’s to get a good feel as to what you want to get at for the looks.

5 minutes ago, neohic said:

Here’s what you need for a bright blue truck: yellow shock boots to match the yellow KC light covers across the sport bar, a little more chrome, polished factory turbines or chrome wagon wheels, white letters out on BFG All Terrains, and a goofy tubular rear bumper. 

Thanks! I will definitely see if I can find some yellow shock boots and I’ll look into getting some Daylighters. The wheels on my truck are from the 80s so, for now, I’m going to stick with them. I will probably get raised white letter tires next. 

24 minutes ago, BeaterComanche86 said:

That vented rear window that @eaglescout526 has. The chrome front end would definitely ad to the 80’s factor. 

I should see if I can come up with one of those. 

2 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

I agree with the rear window louvre. That definitely gives it the 80’s look. Damn that topper kills it for me, can’t argue with free on that. I’d recommend  looking at other cars from the 80’s to get a good feel as to what you want to get at for the looks.

I did do some looking at them, but never came up with a ton more to add to my list. Your old school look in your truck is why I wanted to give my truck an old school look. 

13 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

I should see if I can come up with one of those. 

I did do some looking at them, but never came up with a ton more to add to my list. Your old school look in your truck is why I wanted to give my truck an old school look. 

Lol just the obsession, it does help to look at era correct aftermarket stuff but also looking at the OEM accessories in the Comanche outfitters guide gives ideas which knowing you, probably already gave a lot of once overs lol. 

personally I would skip adding any chrome unless I could go whole hog on it (mirrors, bumpers, handles, rollbar, etc).  just doing a front fascia would look off to me on an otherwise dark truck.  :dunno:

as it so happens I just received a offroad magazine in the mail yesterday (purchased for the article on Jeep Motorsports) and this is the cover truck.  show trucks back then went nutso on the bolt-ons, especially if it were shiny or brightly colored.  it's not a look that has aged well.  :(  what is that, 10-12 lights up top?  maybe even more shocks?  triple rollbar?  black out the shiny things and bling-up the black things.  all it's missing are some hot-pink shock boots and squiggly stripes.  :crazy:  but this is a show truck.  not everyone back in the day went in this direction, though bolt-on snazzy things were all the rage. 

I think your truck would go a long way with the rollbar, louvers, and a lighted visor.  maybe some rear mudflaps.  oh, and some round tube nerf bars would fit right in.  :D 

20210106_093850.jpg

like most fashion fads, none if it ever made any sense. :dunno:  just like angry eyes or Carolina squatting.  people like to be unique and push the limits.  to them, taste and practicality take a back seat to "LOOK AT ME!".

46 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I do get a kick out of people saying that adding 50 different light pods to the front of a Jeep is new or something.  :laugh:

Yeah, people have been over doing lights for as far back as I can remember.  I can remember seeing a K5 Blazer with a roof rack and at least 20 lights.  And that's back before LEDs so when he had them all on he was drawing well over 100A with just the lights but didn't have an alternator that could keep up.

And for the Old School look, if you aren't going with chrome wagon wheels, some white steelies would fit right in with your white letter tires.