Jeep vs Bronco

Ωhm

I found and bought a JDM Toyota Land Cruiser years ago. 1985 BJ73 with a four cylinder diesel and 5 speed manual. That thing is amazing offroad. It came stock with a PTO style front winch, locking hubs, and a removable top. Ever since getting it (and driving it hard!) I have been looking at importing a Toyota Hilux. Four person seating, a usable bed, diesel engine, manual transmission, fantastic reviews, great off-road-ability. If I ever come across one reasonably priced you better believe I am buying it up. Why oh why are they not available here in the US?

I do have to say that I don't hate the new Bronco.  I think the Sport is a little small but the regular Bronco 4 door would be a good daily driver/moderate wheeling rig.  The IFS would sure ride nice on the road but it looks tough enough to do some mid level trails without too much drama.  The turbo engines would be nice here in the mountains.  While the 3.5 ecoboost would be great, the 2.7 is no slouch.  That's probably the one I'd pick.  I could replace both the Crosstrek and the XJ with just one vehicle.  I would have one MJ as a built wheeler (when it's done) along with another that I could keep 2WD and make a little more "fun".

Wow.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/bronco/2021/2021-ford-bronco-first-look/

I’d say Ford definitely did their homework in terms of what makes the Wrangler such a hit. The seemingly easy ways to make it your own, the option packages, and the coil over suspension paving the way for huge aftermarket upgrades really shows why Ford took the time they did to release the new Bronco. That “Sasquatch Package” that can be added to any trim level that includes 35s and a rear locker?... sweet! If I were to go out and decide between this and the Wrangler, it’d be a no brainer. Jeep has been doing the same routine for years because it works for them and it’s great! The technology, safety, and availability in the aftermarket continues to expand but their core of the Wrangler remains the same. I say it’s about time there’s a modern removable top 4x4 on the to shake things up! Given a big bag of money, I’d be a Bronco driver. 

I actually really like this, and so does the gf.  She has a 2018 JLU now, and wanted a Gladiator; Now, she may be looking into the Bronco when her lease is up next June, unless Jeep gives her a good deal to stay.  The Bronco has most features she options standard, and fits all our needs (Minus towing ability vs JT).  Coming down to mpg and lease offers (One ford dealer is already offering 1k under invoice for purchase).

Ive been seeing this a bunch on the facebook pages, and I'm really surprised at how heartily people will defend the bronco against Jeep when the Bronc hasn't even been released yet, and then crap all over Jeep even though I'm sure they never even have owned one. I have nothing against the Bronco. Ive always liked them, I was even looking for a Ford truck when I found my Comanche. Its just odd to me the amount of arguing that is already happening.

My prior experience with a Bronco II (Broncette) was in '88.  i got a rental when I was in CO.  My wife and I were driving around the state doing tourist things.  On one trip, we were driving an old railroad bed converted to a road.  We were crossing a causeway between two mountains.  The road bed was not smooth.  The Broncette was bouncing all over the road.  On either side were steep embankments down hill.  The state did not believe in guard rails. I slowed down to a VERY slow pace to get off the causeway.

After that experience, neither of us were impressed with a Bronco.  So far, from what I've seen, my opinion is unchanged.

My 2¢.

I was >> << close to owning a Bronco II way back in the day.  My car got stolen and had been gone for almost 2 weeks.  The actual night before my insurance company was going to write me a check for it, the city police called the house and told me they found my car.  The thief was still driving it, and was in the drive through lane at a McDonalds when a cop pulled in behind him and ID'd it.  In those 2 weeks I had already picked out a burgundy Bronco II from the local used car lot and was set to go purchase it.  Definitely a mid-80's ride....had aluminum running boards, crushed velour interior (matching burgundy), but it was a 5-speed.  I was crushed....told the cops I didn't want my car back, they said it doesn't work that way.  Friggin thief broke my ashtray, put a cigarette burn in the back seat, and ripped off the muffler.  No Broncette for me:mad: