Engine rebuild cost

Hey guys I just wanted to run this buy some more experienced people to see if I’m getting played or not.

i brought in a 1990 Jeep Comanche with 200+ thousand miles on it to have the engine bay all rebuilt top to bottom.

guy is telling me 8500 with a 3500 down payment. Does this sounds fair to you? Nothing has fully blown out yet but I can tell she’s coming close and I have the money now so I figured why not. Anyways is 8500 fair? What should be included for that price? Again this is all work of mechanical nature no body or cosmetics. Also not I already have the parts for a front end Steering rebuild and the internals for an engine rebuild. 

update for clarification: I meant like EVERYTHING in the engine bay, A/C, Radiator, Intake, heads, everything. Everything in the engine bay would be replaced.

That sounds way high.

You can get a complete stroker engine from Golen engines for under $7K plus shipping.

A typical rebuild, even with all new pistons and an over-bore shouldn't be more than $2-3K or so.

Hell, you can get a generic Jasper reman engine for around $2K or less last time I checked.

If you’re paying shop rates that’s probably not far off the mark. Just pulling and putting the engine back is $1000 in labour. Tearing down and reassembling the engine is going to cost about the same, just in labour. A rebuild kit is likely going to add the same, double or triple even if you’re replacing absolutely all the guts and the head. Then you sub out the machining, add another $1000. Then factor in all the accessories, all new sensors, and everything else included in “replacing the whole engine bay” I don’t see the cost of having it done at a shop being much less than what was quoted. The quote is also going to include every eventuality, probably stuff that may not need done, and possibly also a small “I don’t want to do it” factor, but then you’re the guy who spoke to the shop, not me.
If you’re going for a pebble-beach quality all-original numbers-matching restoration, maybe that’s the way to go.

For most of us though, largely a bunch of cheapskates who wouldn’t pay a shop to do something we can do on our own, just to get an old workhorse or trail rig going again, there’s lots of other 4.0 donor Jeeps out there for dirt cheap, then it’s a weekend in the driveway, and maybe you can part out the rest of the donor to recoup costs before scrapping it.

If you wanted new with a warranty, and don’t have the means to swap an engine yourself, then just getting a reman engine dropped in would only cost you less than half what you were quoted. Of course you still wouldn’t have a numbers-matching vehicle any more, but at 200,000 miles, is it ever going to be a showstopper worth that sort of investment?

What are you trying to accomplish? Do you have mechanical issues like oil leak, exhaust smoke, reliability (won't start, runs poorly, engine noise, ect.)?  Spending a bunch of money on parts that don't need changing is crazy.  If it ain't broke,  replacing it won't fix anything! 

I guess a few things.....

First, engine should be about 2.5-3k to rebuild with R&R. last one I had rebuilt on my XJ was 2k, but the guy I use has been good about giving me solid prices. 4.0s are cheap to rebuild and not difficult at all to pull. If you plan on swapping in all new accessories (stater, alternator, steering, etc) factor maybe another 5-700 for that.

As for the rest why are you "replacing" the engine bay? No offense but that's a massive waste of cash. Unless they are going to swap in NOS parts from a 98 or 99 with a rebuild you're not coming out ahead.  

It seems high to me, too. I could see how it could be that much, though. I think it would depend on your level of comfort with the reputation of the shop, and your knowledge about mechanics work. I think I would agree, get some more estimates/quotes.

And also, this would be a job I would do myself. A Jeep is probably as good as anyplace to learn. Nothing that is too tricky, except working under the manifolds. 

It does sound high. He's getting you on the labor. If you pull it yourself, you can get a brand new crate engine for less than half that. That's what I did on my last project. Guy wanted 7600. I bought a brand new crate GM Performance 350 for $1900. Just stock nothing fancy. Added about $500 more in hoses sensors etc. Borrowed an engine lift. My teenage son (otherwise known as free labor) and myself pulled it in 2 four days. Installed a new one in 2 five hour days. Taking our time. Ate lunch, I think I answered at least one volunteer fire dept call. Unless you're going for numbers matching type of stuff, you're better off installing crate engine. Any savings you get rebuilding you will lose in labor costs if somebody else machines it. You gotta pull it anyway. Put a new one in its a lot quicker.

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

Again, without knowing what they are planning to do I don’t see how anyone can tell you if it’s a good deal or not. It’s like asking “there is a car for 10k, should I get it?” The devils in the details. I’ve got a little over 6k in my non stroker 4.0. That’s just parts and machining work. I did the tear down, rebuild and reinstall myself. Some people won’t quite understand that but if I show you my engine build sheet you’ll see where the money is. And yes, some will swap in a crate engine or an LS from the junk yard for the same or less money but there is a lot of work involved that often times gets overlooked. A CLEAN engine swap is pricey.