is there a crazy california tip in my future?

Pete M

My folks are thinking of seeing california later this fall.  My pop has strong concerns about doing a trip that would see him away from home and living in a trailer for a month or more.  So, in addition to several other possiblities (like flying out and renting an RV), one plan would include me driving the Durango/trailer out to LA for them and picking them up at the airport, then the 3 of us head north seeing the sights and I would drop them off at some other airport (portland? denver?) to fly back while I spend yet another week driving the trailer back. 

100 hours of driving.  eek.  :peep:

Of course the plus side is that this would give me the opportunity to see more of you guys/gals.  :waving:  maybe visit some more junkyards. :D 

round trip craziness.jpg

44 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

I'd love to see ya comin through WI! There are a few of is within a few hours of each other in WI and MN. 

IF (and that's a big if) I was to swing by Michigan on the tail end we might be able to make it happen.  no promises though. :L:

Also, Denver west on I-70 to US-191 up to I-15 to Salt Lake City is a far more interesting drive than up I-25 to I-80.

Besides, that takes you right next to Moab, which is interesting to see even if you don't stop to go Jeeping.

I threw that map together in a hurry.  Yup, Moab is preferred route. :L: Been there a few times.  Beautiful country. 

I drove to Denver last year.  there's a bunch of guys in the area so we should plan on another get together.  :beerchug:

I'm not a stranger to long crazy trips.  I drove to Denver and Detroit and back to Atlanta just last year (4k miles and I slept in the back of the Durango).  and then there's the ultra crazy Me/dog/Jeep trip to Moab in 05 (I think).  Nothing like hitting the road in a custom, home built Jeep before car GPS units or reliable cell coverage was a thing. :driving:

103747005.jpg

35 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I threw that map together in a hurry.  Yup, Moab is preferred route. :L: Been there a few times.  Beautiful country. 

I drove to Denver last year.  there's a bunch of guys in the area so we should plan on another get together.  :beerchug:

I'm not above long crazy trips.  I drove to Denver and Detroit and back to Atlanta just last year.  and then there's the ultra crazy Me/dog/Jeep trip to Moab in 05 (I think).  Nothing like hitting the road in a home built Jeep before car GPS units or reliable cell coverage was a thing. :driving:

103747005.jpg

Always up for a few beers with other addicts. :beerchug:

I grew up doing road trips with the folks and I love driving all over the place when I can.  I learned how to navigate long before GPS even existed and I love finding my own way and enjoying the drive.

I'm thinking that when my silver truck is on tons and 40s, I'll be building up my red one with a diesel on like 31's or 33's and turn it into a road trip truck, maybe dragging a popup or small camper, doing a tour of the US.

Pete,

Pick your parents up at San Diego, not L.A.  San Diego is refreshingly different from Los Angeles, much more tourist friendly and frankly more interesting.  Remember, I grew up in Southern California.  

Next your map is too small to see exactly why your are going up I-5 in central California.  But I-5 out of L.A. is  not tourist friendly trip.  Perhaps you are planning to visit Yosemite National park? 

I would suggest you take U.S. 101 or the Pacific Coast Hwy out of L.A. to California State Highway 1.  Right up the edge of the California coast. Spectacular drive.

I can offer more specific suggestions if you are interested.

2 minutes ago, johnj92131 said:

I would suggest you take U.S. 101 or the Pacific Coast Hwy out of L.A. to California State Highway 1.  Right up the edge of the California coast. Spectacular drive.

If you drive the PCH, you'll need a good jam to accompany you... :banana:

My place is always open if the route brings you this way again.  

I trailered my CJ out to Tahoe last year and did the Rubicon Trail.  Great junkyards in Denver, Salt Lake City, and Reno.  I've also explored several good ones in the Phoenix area on a different trip.

1 hour ago, schardein said:

I've also explored several good ones in the Phoenix area on a different trip.

When was this? I can't seem to find any junk yard that doesn't have a picked over XJ or have any Jeeps at all.

Only place I can find that has any Jeep is AMC salvage. 

6 hours ago, johnj92131 said:

Pete,

Pick your parents up at San Diego, not L.A.  San Diego is refreshingly different from Los Angeles, much more tourist friendly and frankly more interesting.  Remember, I grew up in Southern California.  

Next your map is too small to see exactly why your are going up I-5 in central California.  But I-5 out of L.A. is  not tourist friendly trip.  Perhaps you are planning to visit Yosemite National park? 

I can offer more specific suggestions if you are interested.

I'm all ears. :D  as I said, I just threw that map together.  the southern most destination is actually Disneyland.  I know the General Sherman tree and Yosemite is on his list.  as is lots of coast-side driving.  Probably SanFran too. 

3 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

When was this? I can't seem to find any junk yard that doesn't have a picked over XJ or have any Jeeps at all.

Only place I can find that has any Jeep is AMC salvage. 

This would have been about 3 years ago, I think.  I didn't find a lot of Jeeps, but I did find a 91 XJ with a column shifter and the 120mph "police" cluster.  Since I flew in, all I had a was couple screwdrivers and a 1/4" set, or I would have pulled the column also.  Best I can remember, this was the Pull-N-Save in Glendale.

IMG_7155.jpg