Convertible

rylee144

yes and no.  some vehicles are designed in such a way that they utterly reply on the roof for structural integrity.  others are designed with "frame" bits like XJs that can hold themselves together.  if you're just driving around in that thing, I image it'll be ok.  :L:  but I don't suggest jumping it.  or rolling it.  or getting into an accident. or letting ti rust at all.

16 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

Isn't the roof part of the structural integrity for unibody vehicles? 

Yes, it is. I hope whoever made that reinforced the "frame."

Back in the 1950s, AMC pioneered the use of unibody construction for automobiles. (Actually, Hudson did, starting in 1948, but Hudson merged with Nash to form American Motors in 1954.) My brother and I bought a 1966 Rambler Classic in 1966. All Ramblers were unibody, but the convertibles had the floor section considerably beefed up to prevent them from folding in half.

• 2 weeks later...

All 3 of the factory versions have a "roll bar" type cross support that would give some added rigidity to the frame....and maybe a bit of safety in a crash

( and a great place to tuck in some speakers and a light I would guess)

There was a guy at the York PA Jeep show several years ago with "possibly" one of those.  It was a Comanche with an open bed, BUT all the body pieces were one solid unit.  The bed was not separate from the cab.  I asked the owner if it was a Cherokee that had lots of body work.  He insisted it was original.

I walked away thinking he was BS'n me.  Maybe he was tellin' the truth.

I remember it was a dark blue.  Anyone else remember this?