Interior colors/paint

I think I might have a update on the garnet color interior.  I picked up a real garnet door panels for my truck and firethorn is way to bright. So I started looking and found napa red ( sem 15273) which is to dark, but with a firethorn base and a mist coat and one light coat of napa red it come out pretty close.  In the picture firethorn is on the right and my mix paint is on the left.

8A76DFC2-DDA8-409E-A0FE-31A1FF11283C.jpeg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed such too with the firethorn and it seems to vary. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if somewhere along the line the color started to change. I have a NOS garnet door panel and it looks more on the cordovan side. But yet we have seen some trucks with a vary vibrant garnet color. 

This is a valuable resource thread with lots of good info.  I don't want to clutter it up, but I do have a question.  

Has anybody tried the 15013 Landau Black?  

What I'm really curious about is the difference between that and 15233 Gloss Black and 15243 Satin Black? Is it just the gloss level, with Landau Black being basically "flat"?

2 minutes ago, schardein said:

This is a valuable resource thread with lots of good info.  I don't want to clutter it up, but I do have a question.  

Has anybody tried the 15013 Landau Black?  

What I'm really curious about is the difference between that and 15233 Gloss Black and 15243 Satin Black? Is it just the gloss level, with Landau Black being basically "flat"?

I have tried landau black with great results. If anything that’s one of the few colors that is exact vs the others that I have listed that “come close” but are satisfactory. I have even used the landau black on outside parts and pieces and they have held up in the AZ sun and heat. But I want to say that the landau is like a semi gloss

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, kriswinner said:

It wasn't mentioned specifically, but is 1988 Tan the same as 1987 Tan?

From Minuit's "post from the future", it sounds like...

Thanks!

KW

It varies. If it’s a late model 87 it probably will be closer to 88. If it’s an early it probably will be closer to that of 86 and prior. 87 is that middle ground year where AMC was doing changes and improvements to both the XJ and MJ. 

I probably need to update the top post to reflect this discretion. 

On 2/19/2021 at 1:53 PM, fiatslug87 said:

For what it's worth, the 87-90 parts catalog has two different Cordovan codes, one for 87 (4), the other for 88 (5). And the 86-87 parts catalog as Garnet listed for 86 and Cordovan for 87 but both have the same code (4).

On 2/19/2021 at 1:48 PM, eaglescout526 said:

89 brings up a good point which could be why cordovan became the color if the dye for garnet became expensive. 

I came back here to look for light blue and cordovan option updates. Lol as well as xj poop brown. I would add that Cordovan and garnet have to be two totally different colors. Cordovan is essentially about the same as the high output year burgundy. I've only been able to tell the difference in the seat and carpets of the Renix years. It seems darker in Renix everything. However you can't hardly tell a shade difference looking on the back side of a,b, or lower window trim on the mj. I've owned, drove, and parted several of Renix and h.o. mj and xj of that color interior. Currently I still have two h.o. mj in that color. Lol I've always didn't like it or grey since it's the easiest to find for me at least. Also to my knowledge, the garnet was an AMC color. It was the same all years xj and mj, ended in 86, and was only originally in 86 model mjs. Realistically it's also about as rare as the 86 MJ honey color. The reality of it is black isn't near as rare as honey, garnet, and light/baby blue. Those all disappeared in 87 and most likely were so early on simply due to leftover dye from AMC. Navy Blue is just as rare. Most the Navy rolled out in 88 Olympic Pioneer trim if you've paid attention at salvage yards and builds. You hardly see that color in mj or xj after that year. Again I believe it to be an experiment color their first year and question for it oem in much anything after early 89 model. Most likely it was swapped in. Someone bored could spend the hours here checking vins in the registry to get the data to sorta rough guess this to back it up, but it's not me. It also seemed like a ton of 88s we're Olympic Pioneer mj however few xj were in production statistic comparing both. So a navy blue interior xj is probably a lot tougher to find than an mj. Hence why everyone is looking for nice navy blue oem bucket seat covers. 

15799033009901772081647917959070.jpg.02cd5cde2105361f5a9bef30d484386c.jpg.903d32e856c0085c52d97394f4b6da87.jpg

1 hour ago, kriswinner said:

It wasn't mentioned specifically, but is 1988 Tan the same as 1987 Tan?

From Minuit's "post from the future", it sounds like...

Thanks!

KW

I would take off a kick panel and compare it to the backside of whatever your trying to match up. Remember this is 30 year old interiors faded and very possibly swapped one or multiple times with not only mj or xj stuff throughout the years. Sun fade, changes in dye, changes in year, model, and the potential of someone else  to already dye some or all parts is very possible. I'd bet money it's the single most reason why people across the board struggle the most with a grey interior. Especially since it has clear defined color change in model years in the book. The shades should be much easier to match. It gets tossed around between heeps as fast as fuel leaves their tanks. Everyone really needs to match the back of their plastic to the color charts. One guy could easily call tan beige not knowing a difference especially given those particular hues have. I don't know how many total color dye option variations there were between the MJ and XJ from 84-96. Let's face it, it's close enough with the mj tan, honey, beige, cream, etc.  and has probably been swapped in. Those colors are absolutely the most confusing trying to get people what they need especially since most people don't know of all the different shades and how even Renix tan, early h.o. tan, and later xj h.o. tan are all different shades with the same name in the book I believe. Compare the backside on a kick panel or any plastic never exposed and you'll see it clear as day. 

2 hours ago, saveevryjp1998 said:

I would take off a kick panel and compare it to the backside of whatever your trying to match up.

Good idea.  I didn't realize there were so many possibilities.

Based on the history of my truck, the panels should be all original from the factory.  I think I know someone with an SEM color guide.  I'll see if I can borrow it. 

For an 88 with original panels, it seems like I'm one of 2 SEM colors:  Palomino or Santa Fe

On 4/3/2020 at 10:45 PM, Minuit said:

We're approaching critical mass for another "what Minuit knows" writeup here, I think. My SEM Camel test panel is a near perfect match for the vinyl.

hkr7Evql.jpg

I've ordered some '84, '85, and '86 brochures to hopefully get a lock on the interior colors that were offered in the wild west AMC years.

EDIT FROM THE FUTURE: 1987 Tan, the color on the right, is its own color that is significantly lighter than 1986 Honey, the color on the left. "Honey", the darker shade in this picture, was available up to 1986. This color was replaced in 1987 with "Tan" and again in 1989 with "Sand" which changed to "Dark Sand" at some point thereafter. While the fabric on the "1987 Tan" seat is heavily faded, the vinyl is virtually identical to a NOS seat cover that has been in the package since day one. Knowing this, I recommend SEM 15323 Palomino to replicate 1987 Tan, and SEM  15173 Camel to replicate 1986 Honey. Another poster in this thread has mentioned SEM 15123 Santa Fe as being a good match for the Sand color - I haven't sprayed a test panel myself but I believe their judgment. At this point, I do not know a good color match for the early "Almond" color offered on 1984 and possibly 1985 XJs. It looks quite close to the later Sand color, but I don't have any Sand color parts on hand right now to compare.

So you all have just cleaned these parts obviously very well, and then directly sprayed the SEM color of choice onto the peices? , no primer before the paint color? who on this thread has gone from grey to camel or palomino?

1 hour ago, motownXJdad said:

So you all have just cleaned these parts obviously very well, and then directly sprayed the SEM color of choice onto the peices? , no primer before the paint color? who on this thread has gone from grey to camel or palomino?

As long as you clean the parts you are painting very well, you should have no issues with the paint adhering to the part. You can use primer if you’d like but I myself have sprayed all the parts after a good cleaning with excellent results. Now I haven’t painted any grey parts to another color but I’d imagine they would transfer well with a few coats. The bigger challenge is going from a dark color to a light color. I took two cordovan parts and painted them to match my XJ almond interior. Took several coats of paint and a few days to get the darker color to disappear. 

I took a grey dash and made it dark blue. I did 2 light coats, 1 medium coat, and 2 heavy coats. You can’t tell it hasn’t always been blue and it has been that way for a year now. 

5 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

I took a grey dash and made it dark blue. I did 2 light coats, 1 medium coat, and 2 heavy coats. You can’t tell it hasn’t always been blue and it has been that way for a year now. 

11 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

As long as you clean the parts you are painting very well, you should have no issues with the paint adhering to the part. You can use primer if you’d like but I myself have sprayed all the parts after a good cleaning with excellent results. Now I haven’t painted any grey parts to another color but I’d imagine they would transfer well with a few coats. The bigger challenge is going from a dark color to a light color. I took two cordovan parts and painted them to match my XJ almond interior. Took several coats of paint and a few days to get the darker color to disappear. 

thanks guys! I'm doing a color change on my interior, going from grey to the light tan\Palomino color, ive got a dash, A pillar pieces, kick panels and a center console, ill just be Dying the B pillars plastics so hopefully it will cover well. I'm actually gonna do all my swap parts which are all from different MJs\XJsbso they all match.👍 this is a great thread very helpful, thanks for the info

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...