Suggestions for wifes new car

Smokeyyank

So the wifes KJ is getting to the point of me being sick of working on it and us just needing a solid family vehicle. I've been looking around and just wanted to here some feedback. Originally we had thought about a JK but I have 0 faith in newer jeep these days. And for the cost it's just ridiculous. So here's what we are looking for 

-Sub 20k, (I also have a dealers license so can pick up vehicles at auction for cheaper)

-Must be 4wd

-2010 or newer

-Prefer under 100k

-4 doors

-No Ford products

I've been considering a

-2010-2012 4runner

-13-15Chevy traverse

-13-15 -Chevy equionox

-2013-15 GMC Terrian

-2010-13 Highlander

Any other suggestions? 

Subaru (Forrester, Outback, etc.)?  My wife's had 4 of them now, started with a Legacy sedan, then traded on a Forrester (2014), and a Forrester (2017), and a Forrester (2019).  I've convinced myself that if I ever don't drive a Jeep, it will be for a Subaru.

I'm probably going to trade my KJ in a couple of years (unless something catastrophic happens to it, LOL) on a KL.  When the KJ first came out, I was adamant that I would never own one, now I do.  I said the same thing when the KL's came out, but now seeing them on the road for the last few years they've kind of grown on me.

52 minutes ago, fiatslug87 said:

My wife LOVES her 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser, I guess the small suicide doors classify it as a 4 door.

Not sure what they currently go for.

Visibility can be an issue.

Magma.jpg

I had thought about snagging one of these a while back. The issue was the doors can be a real pain with car seats. My brother in law has one, he loves it but hates dealing with the car seat. Once the kid gets to forward facing not an issue. 

My father in law did offer her their 13 rav4 for cheap but she's not too keen on it. Honestly for her it would be great but we all know how stubborn women can be....

I was also looking at the Hyundai Sante fe and Tuscon. Those I can get 2016-18 for under 20k  along with low mileage. Issue is I don't know a ton about them. Only experience I had was my mom and a tuscon that she beat the hell out of and it still kept going. I figure if a car can survive my mom then it probably isn't complete garbage.  

2 hours ago, Smokeyyank said:

Honestly, not a fan of subis at all. My grand parents have a forester and it's already been through two engines. Also wife want's something that sits up high. 

Was it one of the earlier models?  They did have some serious head gasket issues, that can't be denied.  But they did fix the issue.

If you want ride height tho, a Subbie is not your answer.  The Outbacks, which are considered a more "sport" model (due to advertising) actually sits lower than a Forrester.  And it's smaller inside as well.

The AWD system is incredible, though, on any of them.

My wife has Dodge Journey R/T. It is the 3.6 AWD. We both like it allot. The 3.6 has plenty of power. The rear doors are large and open 90 degrees or more. They are awesome to get kids into and out of. Third row is nice for kids and your extremely short flexible friends. But with the third row down the hatches area is huge. 

8 minutes ago, JMO413 said:

My wife has Dodge Journey R/T. It is the 3.6 AWD. We both like it allot. The 3.6 has plenty of power. The rear doors are large and open 90 degrees or more. They are awesome to get kids into and out of. Third row is nice for kids and your extremely short flexible friends. But with the third row down the hatches area is huge. 

We have family 09 journey SXT 3.6 AWD we love, it very smooth ride alot of space stroage and u right about back doors open up to 90 degrees but only suck about it i gotta get out car quick as i can to stop kids from open door all the way and end up hit other car it happen few time :doh: but i kept telling kids do not open door till i will open it!

I'm a diehard Mopar Man. My driveway is full of them. When it came time for my daughter to buy a quality used car we went with a KIA. For the money they are hands down some of the best cars you can buy. The factory warrant transfers to the second owner but caps at 60K vice the original 100k. Just another option for you to look into.

16 hours ago, mjeff87 said:

Was it one of the earlier models?  They did have some serious head gasket issues, that can't be denied.  But they did fix the issue.

If you want ride height tho, a Subbie is not your answer.  The Outbacks, which are considered a more "sport" model (due to advertising) actually sits lower than a Forrester.  And it's smaller inside as well.

The AWD system is incredible, though, on any of them.

No, I think it was a 2010 or something in that range. First engine went at about 50k other went about 120k. I know subis are all over CO but I never been in one and been like yes....other than maybe a WRX but everyone japs them out and they sound like sh^t.  

12 hours ago, Pete M said:

a quick check shows that the 2011ish Durango R/T and Grand Cherokee with the hemi comes in under your price range. :D

Yeah last thing I need is to get the wife a hemi....slower the better for her. Our friends did have a newer grand and is was plagued with electrical issues. They bought it brand new and ended up trading it in after 2 years. 

4 hours ago, shelbyluvv said:

I'm a diehard Mopar Man. My driveway is full of them. When it came time for my daughter to buy a quality used car we went with a KIA. For the money they are hands down some of the best cars you can buy. The factory warrant transfers to the second owner but caps at 60K vice the original 100k. Just another option for you to look into.

Good to know. One of my buddies had a Kia back in the day. he was as mechanically inclined as a gerbil and never had an issue with it. 

I'll X2 a KIA as well.  My wife had one, SUV-type, I can't remember the name right now and it was a tank.  I ended up getting it after she got her first Sub (the Legacy.....from her grandmother that sadly passed away).  I drove the wheels off that thing, then one day I got T-boned at an intersection and totaled it.  Surprisingly, it started back up once all the cops got done doing their investigation.  They were going to call for a flatbed to drag it away, I ended up driving back to my house.

Do you remember that scene in National Lampoon's Vacation where they get the family truckster "fixed" by the hilljacks out in the desert and drove it away with all the wheels bobbling around?  Yep, that's exactly what that Kia looked like going up the road.....but it still drove:laugh:

2 hours ago, Smokeyyank said:

No, I think it was a 2010 or something in that range. First engine went at about 50k other went about 120k. I know subis are all over CO but I never been in one and been like yes....other than maybe a WRX but everyone japs them out and they sound like sh^t.  

Subarus continue to rank at the bottom for quality. 

https://jalopnik.com/subarus-trying-to-fix-its-quality-problem-before-its-to-1835819521

113 problems per 100 vehicles built is... well it's not great. Yet they have a HUGE fan base. Seems everyone and their dog wants one or has one.

We have a dozen or so in our work fleet. By 200,000km, even the highway miles we put on them, they're junk. Half of them sound like they're about to spit rods out of the block. A bunch of them hit the surplus block this winter, only to be replaced with more Subarus, because under federal fleet rules, you can't replace a vehicle with a different type of vehicle for no good reason, and when you spec a wagon, you don't have many options to choose from. 

Lots of friends keep asking about them... they've made up their minds that that's what they want already. If that's the way you want to go, the only way I'd recommend is with warranty, and then, make sure you have a dealer nearby and a good roadside assistance plan, and don't trade in your old car on it cause you'll still need it as backup. Especially if you're not mechanically handy. Friggen junk. 

Step one: Take old Subaru Outback and toss engine. 

Step two: Toss in AMC 4.2L with 4.0L controls and 4WD system. 

Step three: Eagle spiritual successor.  

Or just buy an Eagle. 

I would actually do this as a project but it’s not practical. I’d just do it out of spite. 

Honda CRV.  My wife is on her second one.  She just traded up to a 2019 model a few months ago.  The newer AWD ones are closer to $30k but if you're willing to go back to 2010 then you can find one for $10-12k.  She regularly gets 30mpg with the AWD and economy mode.

Another for Hyundai Kia. My wife and I are on our third, starting with a 97 Accent, 05 Tucson, and 14 Elantra. Just sold the Tucson to the Father in law to tow behind his motorhome.  Ive had very few issues with any of them.... None on the Elantra so far at 50,000 miles. Just a couple of electrical things on the Tucson 120,000 miles (turn signals/ hazard lights blow fuses when its hot out). The Accent had a few but were easy fixes. Sold it at 170,000 miles. We test drove a new Santa Fe, but its really not that great looking and opted for a used Grand Cherokee. My mom just bought a new 19 Sportage AWD. So far so good!