Just Dodged a Bullet..

HOrnbrod

Hella storm cruising at about 50MPH just passed through our area. Tornadoes just north and south of us causing what looks like terrible damage on TV just a mile away. Worst we got was about 10 minutes of golf ball size hail. Of course the MJ and JK were safe in the garage, but my daughters new (to her) Ford Focus took some good hits. Could have been a lot worse. Damn, I hate tornadoes..

10 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

Hail damages rooves.........or roofs.

Check yours tomorrow. 

7 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

Also, just so you know-

Cars/trucks are not safe in garages during a tornado. First thing that goes is the garage door, then the outside garage walls. Roof structures collapse.  Tornadoes are huge vacuums.

No sheite...   I guess you mean well.  :scholar:

Glad you’re all safe, Don.  We’re in Mobile and it looks like all the severe stuff is up near you.  Just a lot of fog on the bay and river.  Need to check in with my daughter again as she said earlier there was some threat in the B’ham area.

Hope you fair well Don ... Scary stuff.  You're in my thoughts and prayers. 

In as much as I have grown to loathe snow, I'll take it over tornados, landslides, fires, floods and earth quakes any day.  New England isn't so bad in the grand scheme.

2 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

No sheite...   I guess you mean well.  :scholar:

For those of you who are not used to tornadoes, below is what happens. 

Yeah, I was trying to be helpful. 

Fruitless. 

I'm guessing you opened your garage door, right?

KC5jAZu.jpg

RcmiNzX.jpg

Thanks gentlemen. I prefer typhoons, hurricanes, earthquakes, and even water spouts, been through them all, over tornadoes. Bama is a great place to live, except for the damn freaky twisters that pop up nearly year round. And NHMJXJ, I grew up in New England, but I couldn't handle those winters anymore mate. 

Glad you are ok, Don.  Looks like your area took the hardest hit, hope as the day goes on this storm system eases, headed this way this afternoon.  I already changed my schedule to start and finish earlier, hoping my daughter's v ball practice will be cancelled if it is going to be bad.  

Buck.

I'm a bit late to this, but we got hit also. I'm just south of Atlanta. It started around, I wanna say 12'ish, maybe. It lasted for a few hours and we heard hail. My MJ was parked outside, but it was already littered with hail damage. In fact, my brother was calling it project golf ball(its also white). A tree barely missed the shop, but landed on a trailer. The trailer was more prefered because a tree, from not too long ago, fell on the shop, and we just replaced the roof.

I checked the roof as best I could from the ground (there's no way I'm climbing up on it), and it looked okay. The roof pitch on my house is nearly 12-in-12, so maybe that helped. New 30-year shingles in the last three years...

1.jpg.6d415e1d82004b1f8ddd12a7f6693347.jpg

I went thru a hail claim about 3 years ago.  If you had golf ball sized hail I'm willing to bet you have damage.  I thought the same thing, no damage that I could see.  Then all my neighbors started getting new roofs so I decided to call and have my adjuster come out.  All in all, they replaced the shingles on my home, shed and shop.  All aluminum wraps around the windows, and siding on each building that faced west.   Make sure you check it out throughly, or have someone you trust go up there.  With the storm coming thru it is no secret you got hail and be prepared for the storm chasers to start hounding you on the phone in person and in the mail.     They know your insurance company will pay out with little to no evidence and will do everything they can to get you to ok them looking around.

The total claim for my damage was around 30K which included my golf balled super duty dent repair as well.  It has been three years but I and still finding things that were damaged.  New holes in the siding on other sides of the building that were missed, dented grill, dented random crap that was next to the garage, etc.   

glad you made it thru safe.

Glad it missed you. Consider finding an Insurance Claim Advocate to maximize coverage by your insurance company. Also get a couple of independent quotes, we had a lot of bad weather up here last year, (high steady winds with micro-bursts upto 80 mph), and a co-worker of mine had to fight for his coverage. The insurance company's adjuster came in at a 3rd of what was really needed but he had a couple other estimates and got the funds to do the job right.

Also, just so you know-

Cars/trucks are not safe in garages during a tornado. First thing that goes is the garage door, then the outside garage walls. Roof structures collapse.  Tornadoes are huge vacuums. 

A huge broken vacuum running in reverse you mean? Sucking everything up and spreading around a mess instead of cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, carnuck said:

A huge broken vacuum running in reverse you mean? Sucking everything up and spreading around a mess instead of cleaning.

No, that's not what I meant.......lol

Those of us who study history/science/bible know that the earth has been destroyed several times before and it will be destroyed again, at least partially. 

Tornadoes remind us of who's in charge, it ain't you, it ain't me. 

If someone or something doesn't try to kill you today, consider it a blessing. 

I have some days that things go right. I’ve had too many close calls in this lifetime. It’s gone to the point I can see some things coming right before it happens and other threats I’m blissfully unaware of till later.
I once was told my guardian angel must be a drunk. Ever have a feeling when you walk into a place that you need to leave again? Great example is local Walmart. I saw the guy coming in as I was leaving, but he kept his rifle on the other side of him.
I stopped in the Dollar General next door and we went under police lockdown because they were looking for the guy.