Just Dodged a Bullet..

HOrnbrod

On 3/19/2018 at 8:49 PM, HOrnbrod said:

Hella storm cruising at about 50MPH just passed through our area. Tornadoes just north and south of us causing what looks like terrible damage on TV just a mile away. Worst we got was about 10 minutes of golf ball size hail. Of course the MJ and JK were safe in the garage, but my daughters new (to her) Ford Focus took some good hits. Could have been a lot worse. Damn, I hate tornadoes..

I saw some footage online, quite the nasty event! I remember goin through a few tornado scares in TN, even watched one in Nashville, but man, you guys had some scary weather. Glad you and yours are well down there.

Don - get a couple of reliable local roofing companies to come out and inspect your roof.  They’ll tell you if you have damage and will give you estimates of the cost for comparison with the insurance estimate.   We had our roof replaced last year after several neighbors had theirs replaced due to wind and hail damage.  I had two companies come out.  One wanted me to sign an agreement that they would get the job if it was approved by the insurance company - told him adios.  Other guy said we should be able to get it replaced and he would come back out and walk the roof again with the insurance company’s adjuster.  He did and the insurer approved the job.  

Hail damage can take a couple years to show up too. We had a couple of bad hail storms about 7 years ago. Mine roof was less than 5 years old and looked fine but I have obvious damaged that showed up 3 years later with the shingles starting to show the were dots near ridge from separation. In the past couple years I started getting very random pin drop leaks from damaged ridge cap. Its the worst since it travels a different direction almost every rain. The water isnt enough to do any damage for now, but eventually will. My deductable vs. depreciation of roof age/warranty would not be worth it at this point. Keep that in mind too. I'm right around the 15 year mark on my roof and looking to sell the house in the next year so I'm just gonna keep my fingers crossed and its the unfinished attic.

On 3/21/2018 at 6:38 PM, Keyav8r said:

Don - get a couple of reliable local roofing companies to come out and inspect your roof.  They’ll tell you if you have damage and will give you estimates of the cost for comparison with the insurance estimate.   We had our roof replaced last year after several neighbors had theirs replaced due to wind and hail damage.  I had two companies come out.  One wanted me to sign an agreement that they would get the job if it was approved by the insurance company - told him adios.  Other guy said we should be able to get it replaced and he would come back out and walk the roof again with the insurance company’s adjuster.  He did and the insurer approved the job.  

Thanks Fred - will do.

• 2 weeks later...

Another one came through last night around midnight. Not nearly as bad as the last, but this time power went out, Seems a few poles went down according to the local Mom and Pop power company. Just came back on about an hour ago. This sucks...