Any idea what this is?

It's the plastic cover for the "power center" where many of your terminals, relays and fuses can be found.  It's held in place with two plastic twist-in tabs.  Not sure those are being reproduced so you'll want to hit up some of the parts hoarders here, or your local junk yards for those.   The thing attached to it is a generic fuse or relay and is for some other aftermarket electrical component added to the truck.

I think you have an even more pressing issue though....... dangerous battery cables!  

50 minutes ago, coolwind57 said:

Just recently replace my negative battery cable.  It looked bad but once I removed it and could see the whole thing, it looked REALLY BAD.  

Replace those suckers a.s.a.p., brother.  

Will do. I meant to get some today when I bought a water pump and fuel filter. 

Poured a bottle of SeaFoam in the tank and gassed up. Almost immediately started missing and sputtering! Barely got it home! At idle it's not missing but under load it seems like it's running on 4 cylinders. Any suggestions?

Are you pointing to the plastic cover?  If so, it's just a cover for the relays in the engine bay.  Like Jeep Driver said, keep it.  They're rare.

Or are you pointing to the wires screwed on to the cover?  If so, that is not stock.  Trace the wires from one end to the other and see what it connects to.  (Might be an HO thing.  Ask Don.)

Edited by 87MJTIM
punctuation

Seems to me like you've got more important things to worry about than a plastic cover. Don't drive that thing until you get some decent cables on it.

Whatever is screwed to the cover is a hack modification for...something. The HO system ditched that cover in favor of a fuse box.

1 hour ago, Jeep Driver said:

It doesn't matter, it needs to be bolted to metal, grounded, for it to function. 

Umm, no, not likely.

It looks like a fairly standard self resetting thermal style circuit breaker.  The feet are to mount it, there's a slightly cheaper version without the feet that typically winds up just being left dangling, or at best zip tied to something, since they're not exactly easy to mount.  There's styles with pin or blade contacts to plug into a circuit board or fuse box, again, they are not grounded.

It's probably dedicated power for a stereo.  Or something else broke and nobody wanted to figure out how to fix it correctly.

1 hour ago, Jeep Driver said:

It doesn't matter, it needs to be bolted to metal, grounded, for it to function. 

36 minutes ago, DirtyComanche said:

Umm, no, not likely.

Hey Dirty, maybe it's a switch to ground.   :laugh:

6 hours ago, Kickin’Chicken said:

Poured a bottle of SeaFoam in the tank and gassed up. Almost immediately started missing and sputtering! Barely got it home! At idle it's not missing but under load it seems like it's running on 4 cylinders. Any suggestions?

Don't use Seafoam when you're away from home. If you must use it, do it in your driveway.

On 1/8/2018 at 7:04 PM, Keyav8r said:

Admins - there are two threads on this topic, same title, same OP.  Can they be combined?

Something screwy happened. I thought I submitted the new thread but it never refreshed my browser. So I clicked it again and next thing ya know.....2 threads.