89 MJ - Refreshing a Beater

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled a 8.8 from a 98 5.0 Mountaineer yesterday. 3.73s, LSD, disc brakes. Couldn't turn it down for free. I'll be slowly prepping it for the MJ with SOA perches, new shock mounts, etc. Going to regear to 4.56. 422cdbf37b1bdee6a5b30cb8a2c2c16a.jpg

• 4 months later...

The world's slowest 8.8 swap is still underway. Have the axle broken down completely, going back together with Revolution 4.56 gears and all new bearings/seals. 

• 4 months later...

clearly family comes first, :L:  but I've found I have to make time for the other things.  the time doesn't happen accidentally.  I go with small (but frequent) amounts of time so it's only a small interruption to regular life.  it's so easy to get distracted.  gotta find a way to get the Jeep passion back. :D 

Had a discouraging bit of work last evening, my illumination fuse is intermittent blowing, I found oil and trans fluid leaks, opened up my cluster to clean the dust out and managed to shatter my tach needle by barely brushing along side it with a cloth. All after a bad day at work.

15 hours ago, scguy said:

Had a discouraging bit of work last evening, my illumination fuse is intermittent blowing, I found oil and trans fluid leaks, opened up my cluster to clean the dust out and managed to shatter my tach needle by barely brushing along side it with a cloth. All after a bad day at work.

Sorry to hear that, especially after a rough day at work. Getting these trucks fixed up and running consistent w/out issues is a lot of fun and a lot of cussing at the same time. I have to find a short somewhere on mine that is blowing the clock/radio fuse randomly. And still trying to eliminate the drip from the trans tail shaft, and........

Here's to a better day tomorrow :L:

• 2 months later...

Actually working on the axle again, axle shafts are in, painted the diff cover. New Brembo brake rotors and Powerstop pads. Will be rebuilding the calipers and painting them. 

Spent the evening last night finally wiring up the lights on the headache rack. They don't really put out a bunch of light, but they do look good, IMO. 

IMG_20211214_094904_218.jpg

I have this week off work, so, of course, I'm working. 

Monday, my wife and I went down to Charleston and hit up Blue and Gold Salvage yard for a ZJ proportioning valve and a few parts, then to @88mjsally to pick up a 2wd beam so I can convert my MJ back to RWD when I refurb and regear my D30. 

Dana 35 is out, going in with the 8.8. 4.56s should be a wakeup call. 

Definitely had to remove the add-a-leaf and lift shackles as you can see in the one pic. 

Had a friend weld up the perches, axle tubes (it's an 8.8 after all) and mounts for the brake hose retainers. Going to deal with the shock mounts later. 

I'm running 1.5" wheel spacers and the stance looks great. There's a bit of a rake, but it doesn't bother me. 

Found out my gas tank is leaking, so a new tank is in my future. 

20211227_144551_HDR.jpg

1640799906502267275141558917250.jpg.9e3edda6d416fceb4df345f40626a3af.jpg

20211229_152921_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211228_163810_688.jpg

20211228_151029_HDR.jpg

Got the axle painted, bolted up, calipers painted, baked, refreshed and installed. Driveshaft is in, ruined my rear u-joint, so another Spicer joint went in. 

Deleted the load sensing valve. I hit a road block when I went to install my new ZJ proportioning valve.  I thought the ZJ one was correct, but for future reference, ZJ for XJ, YJ for MJ. Looks like it will take a little more than a week to come from PA. That's fine, I don't have shocks ordered yet. 

Also replaced my Sierra's cluster illumination bulbs and took out my subwoofer to get the truck ready to sell. 

20211230_154504_HDR.jpg

20211230_162409_HDR.jpg