89 MJ - Refreshing a Beater

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, JWheeler331 said:

Just read every post on your build. Love the way its coming along. Very inspiring. The knowlege of you guys here is amazing to an amature like me. 

yeah, I'm deeply envious of guys just now coming into the hobby and the insane amount of information you've got at your finger tips.  :D  back in the late 90s the internet just wasn't what it is now.  :(

6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

yeah, I'm deeply envious of guys just now coming into the hobby and the insane amount of information you've got at your finger tips.  :D  back in the late 90s the internet just wasn't what it is now.  :(

I'm deeply envious of times before Photobucket got greedy and ruined forums. 

But info now is great too. 

54 minutes ago, Pete M said:

100% 

47 minutes ago, scguy said:

I'm deeply envious of times before Photobucket got greedy and ruined forums. 

But info now is great too. 

100% agree with that point also. Photobucket was great for us all on forums but really messed up a lot of things wanting people to pay or whatever they did. I lost hundereds if not thousands of good pics. 

Got the YJ prop valve installed and finished deleting the load sensing valve. Ran my new hard lines on the 8.8 and used the pressure bleeder to flush all new DOT4 through the system and have a rock solid brake pedal. It was pretty mushy before with the drums. Something was wrong with the rear proportioning valve before, because the front shoe on both sides was rusty like it hadn't been touching even though it was adjusted out properly. 

Anyways, it'll lock up all 4 now. Much happier with the brakes. 

Although I do need to investigate, under hard braking, the TC shifter is bouncing around. Need to check my tranny mount. 

IMG_20220114_091533_233.jpg

Burning a little more midnight oil, I put my new fuel tank in last night. I can't remember if I put this in so far or not, but I'm currently running a 93 XJ pump with the locater tab cut off. It works fine, and the HO Fuel gauge works, but the fuel pump pickup is about an inch to inch and a half off the bottom of the tank due to the different angle of the XJ sender. It works fine, just don't get to use all 23 gallons. 

I'm curious to see how much this helps my fuel mileage. My trip meter was showing 66 miles, and there were about 8 gallons in the tank. The rest must have leaked out. I only fill up about once a month. Driving half a mile to work. 

My oil pressure gauge has not worked since I got the truck running. It always pegged out high. I ordered a new sending unit, and installed it last night, only to find that in a moment of stupidity, someone named me had put Teflon tape on the tapered threads. I went ahead and put the new sending unit on even though I'm sure the old one just needed the threads cleaned, and I have a working oil pressure gauge and great oil pressure!

Also debating flipping my white letters in. They've seen their better days. 

Also, I priced the same tire out of curiosity. They have gone up $50/ea wholesale price in the last 2 years. I paid something like $564 for 4 in 2020, now the same set would be very close to $800. 

27 minutes ago, 87Warrior said:

You have built a beautiful truck! I just read through your build. Nice work.

...and yes, tires have gotten very expensive :crazy:

Thanks. I'd love to go to 33s now, but not at current prices

Yesterday marked two years since I resumed working on the Comanche. With two little boys, it seems like work rarely gets done, but I'm hoping to get the shock mounts welded on and have it back on the road by the weekend. 

Which means then it's time to pull the D30 and start the whole process over. 

Something didn't feel right with the axle, had too much driveline lash, even though gear backlash was fine. 

Finally figured it out to be absolutely wiped LSD friction plates in the Trak Lol diff. The passenger side was 0.102" thinner than spec. Driver's side was only .013" under. Allowed too much play in the spiders. Got a Ford Racing rebuild kit to go in this weekend. 

20220211_164512_HDR.jpg

20220211_155657_HDR.jpg

Well, I decided to try a new throttle position sensor to fix the shifting issues and it did! I used a Car quest TPS, instead of OE just because I could return it if it didn't fix it, but it ended up fixing the problem. The old TPS was in spec for idle voltage and WOT voltage, but it scaled too quickly somehow? In my 16 years of professional auto repair, I've never seen that before. 

It upshifts and downshifts just fine now.