89 MJ - Refreshing a Beater

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to a few put off items.

1: replaced the undercharging stock 90A alternator with a new 117A from a 99 XJ. It came with a load test spec sheet in the box and it tested at 138A at 2000RPM. I went with the 117A because I didn't want to mess with grinding down the block and bracket to fit the 136A, more popular alternator swap. Bolts right up, just make sure to get a connector, because they're not very common and are very expensive to order new (~$38). I actually made a Pull a Part run just for the connector.

After install, at idle with the high beams on (100w Hellas), AC on full blast, radio on, electric fans on, etc, I was sitting at 14.2V. Great success. This alternator will be able to take more advantage of my 2ga battery cables.

2: AC compressor kit. My old expansion valve froze up, so I decided to replace the compressor as well. I went with all the stuff from a 94 XJ, which came with R134a. AC is back to working well, and I pulled several leaves out of my blower motor resistor.

42752c8955f3047989bb09ad3951f710.jpg879893dcc011a09034bde67c0dca626e.jpg5a92da3fc53133e426a3f14d905dbf74.jpg

I also replaced my coolant temp sender for the cluster gauge, but it is still off by 30 or 40 degrees. Probably will have to go Mopar. Are you supposed to use Teflon tape on the threads?

My oil pressure gauge needs a sender as well.

Spent Saturday doing seat work. My driver's bottom cushion leaned towards the left, so I swapped the cover off of it to a spare cushion, replaced the factory bucket seat brackets with Krustys fabbed ones.

I didn't really want to do that, but somehow I managed to misplace the factory passenger bucket seat with brackets attached. An entire seat, gone. I have no clue.

I swapped seat covers and foam onto my other 2dr XJ bucket to install, just waiting for another evening to assemble them.

I got rid of a factory horn that sounded like stepping on a dying goat and replaced it with a Hella horn I had lying around. Much louder and better

Also pictured, my MJ console insert I salvaged from an 87 Chief that has the E brake handle block off plate.

sound3fef13f97bc28775a92903c5b745fe46.jpg17fdcc0a03e8e242610a3b7b25eade4f.jpg

yeah, all my MJs need those seals done :( 

bonus points if you pull the glass out for the tinting :D  that guy that did my original baby's windows messed up and there's this tiny flaw at the bottom that annoyed the heck outta me.  :fistshake2:

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty excited to have this almost done. Have lights on the way.

I also ordered new spring perches from Barnes4WD for when I go SOA with a Chrysler 8.25.

While I was at it, I ordered a new soldering station for work, but I'm sure it will get some MJ time as well. 62bc69c5a371057399f3811c245317d2.jpg28c0a603e9bf469696bf31d8b65b6841.jpg

5 minutes ago, scguy said:

Trying to stick to my "no LEDs" rule is getting hard. I might cave and get a small lightbar for a reverse/cargo light. Non LED lights can be so bulky.

But they look cooler and more correct.