89 MJ - Refreshing a Beater

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to decide on a lift. I want to run somewhere around 3-5". I'm torn between piecing a lift together or just getting the Zone 4.5"kit and a track bar. I plan on swapping the D35 out sometime down the road, so the add a leaf only needs to last till then when I go SOA.

Lift is here. I went with the Zone 4.5" kit. Hopefully I can begin on it tonight.

Just checked out the Zone kit.  The add a leafs can ride pretty rough in my experience but looks like you already have a plan for remedying that. If you change your mind and stay SUA the Hell Creek MT leafs are nice. When combined with the zone shackles I'm guessing it would be in the 4-5" range

The passenger seat is decent. With a little welding, the driver's will be fine. I'm hoping to get a set of 2dr seat covers in grey to put on them.

Great. I think those seats will look awesome restored/refreshed regardless if you swap to the 97+ dash or keep it original.

I'm staying original dash, and most likely original front clip. I am swapping over the grey interior / console / 4WD from my donor XJ.

I do like the look of the 87 grille though.

My transfer case linkage is shot, so I ordered the Boostwerks setup. If I'm going through all the hassle of swapping harnesses. I figured I'd put those electric locks to use and install a keyless entry / remote start system. I'm normally gun shy of them, but 99% of the problems I've seen with them can be traced back to shoddy installation.

I'll probably pick up an IRO track bar and steering box spacer soon.

I like!  That would be one cool unique MJ.  Gotta lose that topper though.   :cheers:

Definitely. Right now, it's free covered storage though. It's coming off as soon as I can swap the interior of the XJ over.

I really don't like doing front end work, so I'm going in to do everything right. On the way are all new steering components, all MOOG. Also swapping over to a ZJ V8 tie rod setup.

Now to decide on tires/ wheels. I'm liking the 32x11.50R15s. I wouldn't mind 16s, but the two popular sizes, 265/75 and 285/75 aren't exactly what I'm looking for. I'm keeping an eye out for takeoffs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Wow, it's been forever. Things have been crazy, I bought a repo house that needed a decent amount of work, but now I have an air conditioned shop to shove my projects in.

In the meantime, the Comanche has been totally ignored. I hate it, but working plumbing trumps MJ.

I did do some thorough cleaning of the engine bay and reinstalled the gearbox and new IRO spacer.

Unfortunately, I've got another project ahead of this one for the time being, fixing a friend's F100 with blown head gaskets.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
Well, it's only been forever, but finally got the 4.0 powerstick in. Decided to try to slip in the engine, transmission and transfer case as a unit. At 6'3" long, I thought it'd be a lot harder than it ended up being. 

• 2 years later...

Merry Christmas!

I'm finally getting around to working on the Comanche. I dropped it here behind the shop a little over two years ago, and here it sits. It's been a long road of house repairs and projects, getting married, and having a son. Time to circle back to my dream truck

In 2006, I bought my first Jeep, a 89 XJ Wagoneer. Being in high school and only working part-time, my plans and dreams for it never came to be reality, but now I'm a little better suited to fix up my dream truck.

I'd like to build it in a 2000s era style, along the lines of my plans for the Waggy. I love the 80's-ness of the truck and I don't want to stray too far from that.

What does that mean?

Original front end, no 97+ clip or interior
No LED lights, especially not headlights. Stick to halogen auxiliary lighting.
15 inch wheels, likely bullet holes
32x11.50R15 tires (unless I have to go up to a 33 for more tire options)
Finish the 4.0 HO swap, entire harness and all. Interior color change to grey. Power window/locks
Full console swap. Probably going to stay with the foot E brake for now.
Interior sound deadening.
Roll bar or headache rack for lights.

Basically replicate a fully loaded 92 HO MJ plus a few niceties.

And eventually, paint. I've been leaning towards root beer brown, but I'm liking the factory blue still.

So, in short, nothing has been done. But, maybe shortly, something will be.

770973bf6fe9a025830d6cb0c9fb9f09.jpg

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk