Edelbrock Performer Cylinder Head for 4.0L Jeeps

Last I heard they were pricing it at about $1900 and it is currently under a redesign and won't be available for some time.

Rumor has it they are raising the valve cover sealing surface to clear roller rockers with stock valve covers and doing some floor cleaning.

Meh, basically a cast iron head with bigger valves. At $1900 I'd spend $100 more and go with the Hesco alloy head. It's already outgrown it's growing pains and has proven reliability, unlike the new Edelbrock head.

But it's good to see new go-fast products being developed for the 4.0 I6.

Meh, basically a cast iron head with bigger valves. At $1900 I'd spend $100 more and go with the Hesco alloy head. It's already outgrown it's growing pains and has proven reliability, unlike the new Edelbrock head.

The Hesco aluminum head has been out of stock for the past three years. I doubt it matters how much more it costs. :P

Hesco head tooling needs to be replaced according to Hesco.  Because of the cost, not going to happen, per Bernie 3 months ago.

There is a current, long thread on the Edelbrock head at:  http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4638

On page 6 and 7 there are some interesting posts about combustion chamber shape, quench, and squish.

The Edelbrock Head will be Aluminum from what I have seen...

The Edelbrock Head will be Aluminum from what I have seen...

Should be. I didn't read the Edelbrock description page very thoroughly, but don't remember seeing anything about aluminum.

Ah if you click the link it shows the Head at a Trade show so I would be thinking that they are displaying an Aluminum head that that's what the production would be...

The power gains with this head come from designing a stroker around it and getting the quench and compression ratio correct (Al allows you to bump CR above what an Fe head will tolerate).

Just bolting it on to a stock 4.0 bottom end will give some gains but likely will be disappointing per cash outlay.

I've seen projected prices from $1200 - $1400 in various places. When I build a stroker for the XJ I'll likely go this route "just because". Hoping for ~270 hp / 375 lb-ft on 87 octane via a modified "poor man's" build. Should be doable using other stroker builds as examples to extrapolate from.

The power gains with this head come from designing a stroker around it and getting the quench and compression ratio correct (Al allows you to bump CR above what an Fe head will tolerate).

Just bolting it on to a stock 4.0 bottom end will give some gains but likely will be disappointing per cash outlay.

I've seen projected prices from $1200 - $1400 in various places. When I build a stroker for the XJ I'll likely go this route "just because". Hoping for ~270 hp / 375 lb-ft on 87 octane via a modified "poor man's" build. Should be doable using other stroker builds as examples to extrapolate from.

I got a buddy who has about that output with 505 Performance goodies in his 4.7L stroker. I have about 220-230 out of my poor man's stroker build. I'm hoping for 250-255 with a new cam and some head work.

Totally. Check this out:  http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=387

But the Unichip is gone now (it had intermittent CPS signal failure internally). I have the non-adjustable Sharp roller rockers in hand. Before installing, I think now maybe I'll wait a bit and see how the new Edelbrock head pans out.

I wonder how exactly Edelbrok improved the combustion chamber. From what I've read, the 4.0HO head flows pretty well as long as you keep the velocity up. If you hog out the ports and go with huge valves, you don't gain a whole lot, hence my comment about forced induction.

I wonder how exactly Edelbrok improved the combustion chamber. From what I've read, the 4.0HO head flows pretty well as long as you keep the velocity up. If you hog out the ports and go with huge valves, you don't gain a whole lot, hence my comment about forced induction.

You may want to read this article by David Vizard:

http://www.hotrod.com/events/coverage/0311em-power-squeeze/

Good information about minimizing detonation, quench,combustion chamber shape, flame propagation.  All areas that can be improved upon considerably by a more modern combustion chamber shape.  Is it going to be a better head than the Hesco aluminum head?  Could be, time will tell.  Certainly will be a better price and likely has more engineering time in the combustion chamber design. 

The Jeep 4.0 head (combustion chamber) does not react well higher compression ratios without going to premium fuel quickly.  Hence the stock 8.8:1 compression for 87 octane fuel.  Boost the compression to 9.3 and you need mid-grade or more.

So, does anyone want to buy my Hesco head??