The Building Of Bucky

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

swapped the AX-15 shifter over to the Hurst unit (awesome)....

Can you expand on this or provide me a link. Interested to learn more about it. 

Thanks

Google it brutha!  Sheesh...... :D

Hurst makes shifters for the AX15.  They have different shift lever sizes to accommodate XJ/MJ and YJ/TJ applications.  

It's an awesome upgrade.

swapped the AX-15 shifter over to the Hurst unit (awesome)....

Can you expand on this or provide me a link. Interested to learn more about it. 

Thanks

Google it brutha!  Sheesh...... :D

Hurst makes shifters for the AX15.  They have different shift lever sizes to accommodate XJ/MJ and YJ/TJ applications.  

It's an awesome upgrade.

Thanks!!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just figured I'd post up an update - I finally got in touch with Bob by phone while working on getting ownership of a red '87 he used to own.  

Bob's doing well and still has Bucky.  The whole paint fiasco tore him up mentally and emotionally pretty bad - you can only frustrate and push a guy so long before ya gotta pick your battles.  Bob battled with that guy for too long and he finally settled things up, but he definitely got screwed.  

So, I think Bob's disappointment with the whole paint drama had him down.  He has Bucky done to a point where he's been daily driving it and still intends to keep it and eventually get the paint fixed.  I can certainly empathize with him on how he was aiming to get Bucky a well deserved spot as an MJ of the Month..... and now he feels that got ripped from him by a crackhead with no morals.

I encouraged him to post up.  I'm sure he will soon.  He's got a few other irons in the fire right now anyway that need his attention.   I imagine he'll get fired back up to work on Bucky come Spring time.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 years later...
3 hours ago, buffalob said:

Back on the road again after 18 months sitting against the curb..

this will be the summer she gets to the next level..

paint..? Bah. screw paint.

Love the color, is that factory color? If yes, what code? If no what name of color?

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Decided it was time and made the truck my COVID therapy....( not retired yet so still doing the 9 to 5 thing)..I have all these years felt that keeping all the sheet metal original,.... and having learned ( by necessity as we all do) to contend with the renix nonsense, would never convert etc etc..... well... Long story short,.... I hit 40 years with the company I work for in December.and the owner being a car guy,.. has decided to gift me a new crate engine to bring Bucky to a whole new place. It seed to make sense (with someone else writing the check)to take the opportunity to ditch the wiring too, upgrade to OBD2, and finally get rid of the old damn doors.......You know where this is going.... this pic was shot June 30 of this year.

4DD45C37-63D9-4F7D-811B-3926E34DBB3D.jpeg

Back in February before the bug hit.

i had finally torn  back into the front again,... It really had never been quite right.

The front coils were 4.5” and I had been on adjustable control arms but had not gone to long arms  all those years ago. The rears are Hell Creek springs also 4.5”.

when originally lifted, the rake was awful... I wound up adding a. 1.5” spacer set at the time.... too much for the short arms.... nuff said.
worked with a great local shop.... consensus was to Frankenstein a mix of rough country and rubicon. Parts into a long arm conversion. Got all the worn tie rod ends etc dealt with too. Off to the local used tire shop.. bartered a worn set of 35 12.5 17 Firestone’s out of them mounted balanced For 300 cash out the door...

I wanted to run a set of 35’s with the long arms and no other front or rear work to see how it all felt as cheap as possible before I got too far along...Tires look better in the pics than they really are. Looks way better with a little more tire under her. Was running 33’s prior.76CB4076-9776-42EB-BD59-C0567B0A5064.jpeg.447a1b7fbfd4bbc7905549fdda8bf88a.jpeg

CC773C0B-1C16-49B5-8D1A-695129816B54.jpeg

97D8FB36-867E-40C8-90F5-64E63AC61619.jpeg

B4F27358-0F6D-4C6D-A370-BE3F622B425B.jpeg

08C628E7-82D8-44B9-BA35-0DA634158ACE.jpeg

B3109787-3537-4328-BE56-DA8A7236FEB0.jpeg

CE9A10D9-11DF-444B-9ED8-03FF3F9F455E.jpeg

3F68BAD1-D758-4028-AB11-71942AF35DE4.jpeg

B9FB7DDB-B19D-4C26-9616-450F9F5BA48B.jpeg

E5E6E829-7C6B-46DF-BBF0-D27A9410BD39.jpeg

Yes sir.!..... So I have been wrenching since March when the COVID situation killed my other past time before the season really had started. I am a sound man on the side for live sound. Clubs, festivals etc.  small time stuff just local but taking it into a second career when I retire in 3 more years. Obviously with the clubs pretty much closed and gatherings discouraged, I have not even taken the little coffee house rig out let alone anything bigger. To be truthful it has been a joy to tear back into her and take the time to sort out all the unfinished crap. And finally in fo all the damage to the truck and my brain from the paint fiasco.

with that said I will bring you guys through the past months here shortly with a photo dump.

35CEFDC4-5044-4C18-A1B7-51B8E29EC562.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...