The Building Of Bucky

Glad to see some progress!  I was just curious so I went back and saw that almost 8 pages have been used on the paint job alone :ack: .  If you don't mind me asking why did you choose a painter all the way out in sterling if you are in Arvada quite the drive?

The work began in late November his shop in Watkins. (I mistakenly understood and later likewise posted that the shop was in Sterling). It is presently at his house approx. at Leetsdale & Quebec.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you mean the 2 piece bolted together factory jobs that tie the front of the roll bar to the "frame" rail through the bed floor, or the factory plates that go inside the fender wells for the rear legs of the roll bar? I don't have photos any at the moment but can take some of either or both sets for you before I bolt the roll bar down for good.

I had to search and horse trade for them, they are not easy to come by (or at least they seemed so to me).

Let me know how I can help.

ya, I'd like pictures of both. ill probably make them. i think i can just use 2 pieces of angle for the front and then roll out a piece for each fender well. shouldnt be too hard to do. just wanted to know what they kinda looked like and if you could give me some rough measurements and thickness of metal. thanks.

Truck is painted (basecoat and clear) need final clearcoat buff, polish and reassembly. Last night re-hung the gas tank...SHE DRIVES!!! looks like a new battery might be in order, does not appear it will hold a charge. Will be wrapping up all the details over the next several days over there. Paint on the cab looks great. Love the color. Drove her out into the sunshine yesterday only to find dead batteries in the camera...Arghhhh. Feel like a kid at Christmas that was told to wait till the parents get up to open his gifts.................

Ok back at the painters with batteries in the camera and truck rolled out in the sunshine. The paint is a little anti-climactic as the truck has had the clearcoat mostly wet sanded with 1200 grit but is has not yet been buffed out. Tomorrow we hang the doors.

progress for the day after the wet sanding was to wet down every inch again and find any scratch nick or other imperfections, then mark them with a bit of tape so they can all be addressed tonight. tomorrow the clearcoat gets buffed out.

Well I found this morning that I have an unexpected setback. I have out of necessity had to store a bunch of parts for Bucky in boxes and plastic cubby bins in the back of the spare bed I am working on in the back on the patio. I as I am sure most guys do, I have parts stashed all over the place. (and a fair bit still with the truck at the painter as well.) Of course not having a garage throws another whole dynamic at it as well. Anyone with "grown" kids is fully aware that even when they leave the nest, a fair bit of their sh*t does not, and for whatever reason seems to migrate around the place on it's own mysteriously, making finding any of your (my) stuff at any given point virtually impossible. Another list member needed photos of the factory roll bar mounting brackets and I needed to find them etc. etc. After a pretty thorough rummage through the shed (no power out there since a recent storm...yes I will make the time to find the problem and fix it dear), I realized that they must be in the bed under the tarps and figured it would wait till morning to look. The bed is under not one but two tarps, I stupidly thought that if everything stayed dry it would all be fine. I never even thought that the heat generated under there (dark brown tarps) could be a problem... Not only has it gotten wet under there it has obviously done it several times and kinda sorta dryed and caused stuff to stick together with the summer heat etc....Remember those nice dyed door panels that I thought I would not have to replace the hard backing board on? they look like big grey potato chips. I've got plastic inner panels that were dyed and ready to go that will in a couple of cases need to be wet sanded and re-dyed as they had stuck together with the damp and heat etc. I found all this out this morning just before sun-up after a real drencher of a storm last night. All I could do before I left for work was to spread out everything on the patio to dry.....Rats! The only thing this day has going for it thus far is that it is Friday.

I think the vinyl outer skin will be fine, and will only need to replce the backer board.

I still have the black panel set .I got from you last year also. I almost replace the backer boards when I dyed them in the first place but decided to mount them first and see if was warranted. I should be bringing the truck home by tomorrow and in comparisson to that, the present situation with the door panels seems almost inconsequental.

Really funny to get your note this morning, (and can't thank you enough for thinking about me and my project) but I scored a set of XJ country panels with the "wood" trim off e-bay last night. They are perfect! I was just sending a PM to yellaheep moments ago to tell him that the extra set of stock grey ones he offered up following the water damage to the ones I dyed, would not be needed either.

Many many thanks to you both for the thought and the offer. This forum and its members are awesome.

If those panels you found are good and cheap I would pick them up anyway I am certain someone will need them.

I have been led to believe I will be finally bringing the truck home this afternoon....

Fingers and toes are crossed....

well she is not home yet but still making some progress. These are photos taken the other night. Wet sanding is pretty much done and buffing out the clearcoat has commenced. The doors have finally been hung for the last time and for the most part aligned. They have not been wet sanded yet. The other small odds and ends (grill visor cowl vent) are done.

I feel your pain, it took months for my paintwork.  All I can say is just think of yourself years in the future and forgetting every bad experience you've had, only remembering the good ones.  It's hard to do at the time but that's what gets me by sometimes.  Good to see it's coming together, I'll bet you can't wait till it's home.