The Building Of Bucky

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have the Bed back from the painters...been blown off again since the day we shot the Raptor stuff on the bumpers etc. That will be 3 weeks tomorrow.
Drama.....god I hate it. I have gone over the (painted) bed with a fine tooth comb at this point. I knew that the clear had multiple and severe runs that would have to be addressed but the closer I looked the runs and orange peel in the clear also hid a ton of pin holes in the base coat. It also became apparent that there are several areas of some pretty poor attempts at blocking. these are noticeable now but will really stand out when the clear is truly smoothed out and properly shiny. I have less than two days into the prep work on the other bed and only one coat of primer (no blocking yet) and it is already straighter than the one painted...oh yeah and I'm not "an artist".....don't ask.
I will post some more photos that show the flaws.. Rather than try to hide them..... after almost seven months damn it, I at least deserve a good job done.
Sunday I spent some time with another list member and sold off some un needed parts etc. Troy Yellaheep is who we bought Bucky from in the first place, we have swapped and sold parts back and forth ever since. He has a big trailer and has offered to help retrieve Bucky if I decide that it is time to pull the plug. Yesterday I went back over to the Local MAACO and had them look up the quote they gave me last summer It is less than the down payment that I have already spent with this guy let alone the additional materials I have paid for. I have decided that I am done waiting and prodding and being dis satisfied with poor work to show for all the BS BS and BS....
wish me luck. Thank you for all your kind words support and compliments...will keep you posted.

Anyway, while waiting, waiting and waiting. I thought that with the weather turning a bit warmer, that I would begin the process of getting what interior items that were not in the truck, dissassembled cleaned and prepped for dyeing. I have the two tone grey (darker dash and lighter a/b and door panels). When I found and installed the agate leather buckets, I decided that going with the newer XJ interior upgrade was not my bag, but upgrading the old school interior was. I like the dark grey agate color and set about dyeing the panels dash and console to match. When I scored the Axles and spare tail lights from Troy last spring, I had also gotten a complete dash out of the lwb metric ton that he had to scrap (as it had title "issues" as I recall). This dash was grey also but was not all cracked an\nd torn as is the one in buck now. I read about using SEM interior vinyl dye on this website, and gotta tell ya...this $#!& is amazing!

Hey man I was just wondering where you got the SEM interior vinyl dye? How much you used? And if you don't mind, how much it cost?

I'm assuming since you're not driving Bucky you can't really comment on how well its holding up correct? lol

The SEM stuff ran I think about $ 10.00 a can. The first batch I bought was 6 cans off E-bay. You will have to check there for a baseline if nothing else.

Since then I have found a high end automotive upholstery supply house here in Denver that carries the stuff. Comes in some weird and wild colors WOW!(not my cup of tea).

And even though the stuff is not yet in the truck I have had to move the finished panels all over the house shed many times etc.... while Bucky has been in exile.

I have picked up a nick or two...nothing major Doubt if it would happen mounted in the cab. I will for sure hit all of them with a last coat before install.

I have coated EVERYTHING with at least 3 to 4 good coats. I have gone through 8 cans.

Please tell me you are not going for the electric lime green LOL!!!

The SEM stuff ran I think about $ 10.00 a can. The first batch I bought was 6 cans off E-bay. You will have to check there for a baseline if nothing else.

Since then I have found a high end automotive upholstery supply house here in Denver that carries the stuff. Comes in some weird and wild colors WOW!(not my cup of tea).

And even though the stuff is not yet in the truck I have had to move the finished panels all over the house shed many times etc.... while Bucky has been in exile.

I have picked up a nick or two...nothing major Doubt if it would happen mounted in the cab. I will for sure hit all of them with a last coat before install.

I have coated EVERYTHING with at least 3 to 4 good coats. I have gone through 8 cans.

Please tell me you are not going for the electric lime green LOL!!!

Hahah no I could not rock that. I'm just going to keep it the gray/black two tone it is now. Heck I was actually even thinking about painting my truck a shade of gray. And now that Ive seen yours I am for sure doing it!

• 2 weeks later...

Well the rest of Bucky is now in sealer, basecoat and clear. (Not seen her yet... have family obligations today/tonight or I would already be over there..) I am taking the bed over to the painter's tomorrow after work to bolt back on the rails. Following this the runs can be wet sanded off the bed and all the clear cut and buffed on the truck. Gotta say I'm very skeptical that this is all fact and even if it is more than a little prepared to be disappointed in the quality. More than anything I just want her home so I can go on with the process from here. IF I EVER have this type of work done again I will check references demand to see completed samples etc etc.. Wish me luck for tomorrow friends.

I will be sure to post up some pictures tomorrow night.

well as has been usual throughout the process...here now that we are at the end, I am struggling to get contact with the painter to get bolted up and done.

I will be back there again this afternoon to bolt the bed back on fenders hood grill etc to drive her out of there.(unless I get ghosted a 3rd day in a row......)

I dropped the bed off at his place Monday after work but he was "out" and the garage buttoned up. still have not seen the cab since the paint is on (or so I have been told).

Have contacted a guy on craigs list that has a pair of perfect 91-92 doors complete with electric windows/locks outside in primer. with perfect inner panels.

all the glass, wireing, trim, mirrors, weatherstripping are included. I can't get response!!!!!! why did I not find these when the painter jacked up my drivers door and hinge?

I suspect that the paint (and fit) on the driver door and front fender is still lousy and that he is scrambling to get it better "fixed" before I actually see it.

I really hope this guy with the doors calls me... I will take them to another body shop (a legit one) and have them shot to match.

fingers and toes crossed..........

• 2 weeks later...

well here are some new progress photos as of yesterday. I would be over there today but we are hosting our grand daughters 2nd birthday this afternoon.

First thing we worked on yesterday was to start the laborious process of wet sanding runs and orange peel on the bed.

But wait there's more!!! here are a couple of teaser pics of the cab now in sealer, base coat and clear. It was getting late and we were running out of decent light, but I couldn't help taking a couple of pics as we pulled her in to bolt the bed back on.

Back in the garage you can get a sense of how the color turned out The finish on the cab all looks really good. We put a few nicks in here and there mounting the bed all of which are fixable thank goodness. Tomorrow I am back over there to start bolting the grill pieces and hood on, re-hang the doors etc. Then on to finish wet sanding the bed and polish out the clear. Finally feels like we are in the home stretch...

Glad to see some progress!  I was just curious so I went back and saw that almost 8 pages have been used on the paint job alone :ack: .  If you don't mind me asking why did you choose a painter all the way out in sterling if you are in Arvada quite the drive?

Glad you got her back. I learned my lesson some years ago with a "painter". Same kind of headaches, loss of vehicle for WAY to long. Quality was not to par, and in the end it cost me more because I had (well I choose) to get it fixed right. My vehicles only go to legit body shops now. Mine was in and out in a week this last time, got near a complete respray and even got a new windshield while there.

Oh,,,,and lets see those pics !!!!

Glad you got her back. I learned my lesson some years ago with a "painter". Same kind of headaches, loss of vehicle for WAY to long. Quality was not to par, and in the end it cost me more because I had (well I choose) to get it fixed right. My vehicles only go to legit body shops now. Mine was in and out in a week this last time, got near a complete respray and even got a new windshield while there.

Oh,,,,and lets see those pics !!!!

I assure you future paint issues will be handled by a bonna fide professional in a legitimate business.

After references are verified previous work scrutinized etc etc.....