The Building Of Bucky

I like the progress of your truck. I know it's killing you to get your truck back but it will definitely be worth the wait. Great pics of the great work you've done, keep it up. By the way, I think your wheels and your rear bumper would look great on my truck, planning a trip to central florida anytime soon?

Buck.

ps-like the name of the truck also!

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the progress of your truck. I know it's killing you to get your truck back but it will definitely be worth the wait. Great pics of the great work you've done, keep it up. By the way, I think your wheels and your rear bumper would look great on my truck, planning a trip to central florida anytime soon?

Buck.

ps-like the name of the truck also!

Thanks for the compliment...I told the painter, "I want the color shot as close to the same color as the wheels as you can get it"

This guy does show cars lowriders and such, this is the first 4X4 he has done, (he was not originally sold on the project). But called me after getting a look at it one day in the summer when he was in the neighborhood.

He bought my neighbors old "company car" a '59 cadillac ambulance (ever see ghostbusters?). and asked my neighbor about my truck.

When Tim (the painter) got the '59 it was highlighter yellow in color with red wheels and wide whites, it is also bagged and almost drags. the interior was 3" long fake green mohair...looked like someone skinned the grinch and uppolstered the ride with the hide. It also sports a blown 500 ci caddy engine btw. The ambulance is currently in the same shop with my truck, and is now in primer. I will try to get some shots of it when I get out to pick up bucky and post em up it is a seriously bad ride.

custom made for the truck by Jarod Fessler now in Brighton Colorado

his company name is Fessybuilt, check his website.

I think he is still in the process of moving his buisness / shop from Broomfield and not currently taking orders, but I don't want to speak for the man....check it out your self.

alright thanks man ill make sure to check it out if hes moving to Broomfield thats great! Like a minute from my house

Got together with the painter yesterday, He dropped over to pick up a box of odds & ends I had neglected to include

We have over the last couple of weeks, had a a bit of a cold snap in Colorado and they apparantly had an issue with the heat in the shop he works out of in Sterling.

Obviously no heat no paint... The weather is now warming up and they have gotten beyond the heat issue. The final coat of primer is on following the last blocking of his body work.

He was not overly impressed with my bodywork...go figure. He says he should be shooting paint within the week.

I am also told to expect progess photos via e-mail......

I am so ready to get her home..

• 4 weeks later...

No bucky is not back from paint...yes I am climbing the walls...I have been able to find a couple odd chores to do to get ready for the work that will need doing when she gets back.

But first, I had mentioned a trailer earlier in the build thread. I bought it from another list member in Southern California last winter, At one point I had a link from the build up on this trailer from another list member who actually built this work of art. After bucky gets home the trailer will eventually be painted to match and raised to match bucky's hieght.

I had it brought in to Denver on a car hauler. Other than these photos all I have done is build a gate in the fence to get it into the side yard, and look at it and dream....

The game plan is to build a system of containers for camping gear that nest into the trailer and subsequently these containers do not get "unpacked". I want them to fit in so that they can all be tossed in on a Thursday night, leaving room for the food stuff etc, to be loaded Friday afternoon, hook up the trailer and gone......

Anyway, while waiting, waiting and waiting. I thought that with the weather turning a bit warmer, that I would begin the process of getting what interior items that were not in the truck, dissassembled cleaned and prepped for dyeing. I have the two tone grey (darker dash and lighter a/b and door panels). When I found and installed the agate leather buckets, I decided that going with the newer XJ interior upgrade was not my bag, but upgrading the old school interior was. I like the dark grey agate color and set about dyeing the panels dash and console to match. When I scored the Axles and spare tail lights from Troy last spring, I had also gotten a complete dash out of the lwb metric ton that he had to scrap (as it had title "issues" as I recall). This dash was grey also but was not all cracked an\nd torn as is the one in buck now. I read about using SEM interior vinyl dye on this website, and gotta tell ya...this $#!& is amazing!

In the next two shots you can see the lower left dash components prior to the dye next to the lower dash panel after dye. It is not so dramatic a change in the direct sunlight but indoors it is substancial.

The white spots on the undyed panel are from the dishwasher....Wife was out for the day......

Next the now dyed dash (btw I dyed the dash after cleaning with water/greased lightning and scrub brush a healthy rinse with clean water. Then several days later used greased lightning this time undiluted straight from the bottle and a cursory rub down with a very worn green scotchbrite pad to scuff it up a bit without getting too serious. After water rise and blowing off with compressed air, I wiped everything down with alcohol.) Before the areas requiring dye were shot I painted the interior of the glovebox with Krylon fusion black textured rattlecan paint..special for plastic. Next you see the ready to be shot lower right dash panel in interior subdued lighting you can see the contrast well here.

I gave very serious thought to taking the door panels apart and replacing the old (call it what you want but it is glorified cardboard in my book) hardboard and re-attaching the vinyl overlay.

But thought I would dye them and mount them first to see if all that work was really warranted. They look good but I will have to wait and see how the look on the doors.

The color match on the door panels compared to the dash and center consoles I shot yesterday is great. Again the door panels were the light grey and the dash and center console were the dark grey. They are all now agate and I am really looking forward to getting them mounted.

looks like a 97+ XJ console,

Great progress!

Its does, and to the person wondering about the vents, my 98 Xj has vents on it. and air blows out of it I'm pretty sure,,,as far as I remember it does.

& my guess is it is out of a Grand cherokee. I do like it though

Its does, and to the person wondering about the vents, my 98 Xj has vents on it. and air blows out of it I'm pretty sure,,,as far as I remember it does.

& my guess is it is out of a Grand cherokee. I do like it though

I was a surprized as anyone when I got the console out of the box a week or so ago and found the blower motor in it and the rear vents. I have miss placed the paperwork but am certain the e-bay listing was for 96 and earlier cherokee NOS (obviously not the case). The blower is the guts of the support for the back of the console but will have to be removed to gain back any storage in the console to speak of. So the whole rear of the assembly will need some re-inforcement to take its place. (glad I still have the one I scored out of the junkyard I may need to re-use some of the rear of it and/or graft pieces of it onto the new one. I kept it to practice cutting on it for clearance for the advanced adapters transfer case shifter....still not sure what I want to do there yet. I had ordered this console off e-bay last year about this time and stashed it with the black interior I scored off troy for the red 87'

Glad to see that trailer pop up again. Good to see it has a good home!

Looks of good stuff happening here!

Are you the artist that built the trailer? It is awesome. I know I saw a build thread for this trailer on here last year some time but admittedly have not looked for it since.

I bought it from a guy in southern California named Robert.