The Building Of Bucky

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Little late on this post but I had no Idea you could dye interior panels what type of dye did you use? It looks great, Great job.

The product name is SEM vinyl and leather paint/dye I got it on e-bay in rattlecans. I do not recall ever seeing it at any of the chain auto parts stores (but was not looking for it there at the time).

I was able to find it in the chrysler "Agate" color I was after. I have read that a similar product is available also from duplicolor. I have used duplicolor primer etc (and it is available at O'Rielly auto parts) and it is good stuff. I also used some other stuff when I did my son's honda panels a few years back by rustoleum specific for vinyl....and it looked like $#!&.

I cannot reccomend the duplicolor vinyl paint as I have not tried it. The product by SEM is outstanding though not cheap. I highly reccomend paying close attention to the prep ( as you should on any paint application). Also it really seems to go on and cover best if you apply multiple (light) coats. It seems to be ok for the coats to get heavier as you lay them up, and the time I used between coats was only about 15 to 20 minutes. I ALWAYS run HOT water over the rattle cans in a bowl in the kitchen sink after shaking to warm the paint in the can. This atomizes the paint far better especially when the outside weather is under 70 degrees.

The instructions on the can say that it can be a bit fragile for the 1st 24 hours....but can't give you insight there as I am stashing all my panels inside while waiting for the truck to come home.

Here is a link to the SEM website www.semproducts.com

Good product even I did not @#$% it up......

Big brown santa brought a gift fro the elves of e-bay yesterday. I had never seen one of these "wood" graned dash trim pieces that looks as good as this one did (glad the pics did it justice)

All the ones I have run accross in the junkyards have been cracked, broken, missing mount tabs, and generally looked like a chintzy wood toned hunk of plastic. This is obviuosly plastic but it don't look bad. I think it will be a pretty good match for the zebrano Momo wheel and shift knobs (got a mate to my shft knob to adapt over for the transfer case) already in the truck.

Has anyone ever moved the climate control switch panel down (sacrificing the vent in the lower position now) to make room for a double din head unit in the dash?.

I do not have AC and no intention of ever adding it. any thoughts???

Did you see Backdraft's dash mod is his "2001 Eliminator" project page 11?

Yep I did, and got hung up on the fact that he was working on fitting it into a 97+ dash. and that it did not apply to my old style dash install.

..had I been paying attention I would have realized that all I need to worry about is moving the climate control panel down. As long as that is doable what I propose should be easier than what backdraft did.

Though it should be said that he makes most upgrades "look" easy. His work is great and it always winds up looking factory. His is a build thread I have learned alot from and go back to reference frequently

Absolutely amazing. My rig pails by comparison. I got some great ideas from you so forgive me for stealing haha. Doing the rock sliders and blacking out a few things like you did on mine as well. I wanted to do that spare tire rollbar thing before (like a Baja prerunner to me) but i use my bed and have a tonneau cover as well. That bumper is awesome. Nicer than my Hanson i have to admit. It takes a lot to impress me and i truly am. And i never liked bigger tires on a Manche till i seen yours. Stunning.

• 2 weeks later...

Well not much of an update...but I have been doing a bit of research and wondering where my interior plans are going. I really like the zebrano wood wheel and shift knobs. The upgrade dash trim bezel is a pretty good match too. The search I did for Zebrano wood trim led me to mercedes....apparantly this was the trim wood of choice for them.

Decided to start simple and look for a couple of pieces of trim that could possibly be worked into the door panels maybe...... what do you think?

Obviously cutting trimming etc would be in order. These pieces are metal backed with threaded studs welded to the metal backing. They came complete with flange nuts. spent about $ 10.00 apiece. There are several wood covered roll top cubby bin options for various mercedes center consoles that look like a good match also. admit it you know you want upscale German snobbery trim in your pick up truck too doncha?

Here are a couple of the other odds and ends I am considering working into the center console.

Been trying to remember when asking the seller (on ebay) for dimensions...not to mention the fact that they are being considered tor modification/installation in an american made 4X4 pick up truck (blasphemous)................

Factory wood trim panels - You're prob familiar with these - JIC - Here goes - - 2 piece panels - Fox wood upper slides a little fwd/aft, forgot which & then pops off - rest of panel usual way - Pic's from eBay - 1996 XJ - - Don't know what years were offered - - I used near identical from a '93 XJ Country ln my 87 MJ only dif was 93 had armrest & handle/switch chrome

:thumbsup:

Factory wood trim panels - You're prob familiar with these - JIC - Here goes - - 2 piece panels - Fox wood upper slides a little fwd/aft, forgot which & then pops off - rest of panel usual way - Pic's from eBay - 1996 XJ - - Don't know what years were offered - - I used near identical from a '93 XJ Country ln my 87 MJ only dif was 93 had armrest & handle/switch chrome

:thumbsup:

I was just about to suggest the same thing......... Get the front door panels from a '91-'96 Country. I think adding wood to the console and anything else is gonna be overkill.......

I was not aware of this option. Many thanks to you both for the info and suggetion... I am now on the hunt. will kkep you posted.

Lifted from a closed eBay auction - - 1995 country - - Gray/Grey interior - - - Less chrome than what was taken from my 93 donor, but chrome's easy enuff to add - - Happy hunting

:crossfingers:

Thanks for the info and I will try to source a pair. I am doing evrything I can to de-chrome everything....

would probably sand blast and paint (or powdercoat) as neccesary. Glad you brought this option to my attention.

the gears are still whirring in the noggin on the pretentious Germany snobbery aspect however ....will keep you posted.

Well my Painter has come out of hiding and given me a call (was inaccessable for three weeks!!!!) I am to meet with him and see the truck on Sunday.

As I put it to him, I need to see it and find out where you are, what it looks like and what your intentions are....based on that I will make a decision on how (or if ) I wish to continue the process.

Cross your fingers toes and/or other protuberances for me guys (or remembering Warren Zevon...send lawyers guns and money...the $#!& has hit the fan).

14 weeks last Wednesday.

The time is an issue certainly but the lack of information and inability to get any info (contact or even a return call, e-mail, or text.. for weeks at a time throughout the process) has been infuriating.

There are always valid excuses explainations etc etc..... just gotten to the point where I don't care what the reasons are, just want the process over.

This is supposed to be fun right? I peddled off my spare car to a family friend that had a desperate need, shortly before the paint process began. They needed it I didnt at the time.

Just another reason that the dragging on process has come to a head.  sorry sorry ( calm down bob) ok ok breathe breeeaathe......better now.... rant over.

Hopefully Sunday I will be pleasantly surprised enough to post a dancing banana or something...we will see.

My paint job took about 6 months if I remember correctly.  LOTS of calls, stopping by to check on it and pushing him.  If I knew it was going to be a side project for the shop I would have never takin it there.  Much frustration indeed. 

My friend on the other hand has waited 18 months so far to get his car painted!!!  (He quoted him 7 months)  He is doing a great job though at his house after hours.  If that was a shop doing his car he would have a lawyer on his doorstep. 

Why are paint and body guys so crooked?  O, I know!  Because their bread and butter what pays the bills is quick bump and paint jobs for the crooked insurance companies that pay fast and are guaranteed work, unplanned.  Word for the wise anyone who wants their car painted make sure to set a deadline and what will happen if the deadline isn't met. 

Excuses are for loosers that don't stand by their integrity!!!

Well I just got back from the Painters place we had a long talk and set a new deadline. I will say that the work he has done looks pretty good. Wish it was further along? yeah you bet.

But I now have seen it, know where it was moved to, know for a fact is is all there and in one place. Apparantly the shop he has worked out of for the past couple of years...whatever arrangemnet he had with the owner is well not what it was...whatever that means. The bed got put back on the get it trailered to his house. Bottom line, I will be over there Saturday and Sunday next weekend to pull the bed and help with all the final prep and Primer it is to be in the booth by mid week following that weekend and back home two weeks from today.

The light was really lousy and she is squeezed it there pretty tight, but I did shoot a few pix. (That is my son Jeremy ...the one who drives the Wrangler..in the blue shirt in front of the truck) and several pics down you can see me in the passenger side window in the hat and beard)