Comanche of the month, Aug 2011 --- PETE M's 1988

Welp, in spirit of last month's outing, let's lay down some mad-props to the mad doc himself. What say you? :D 

-----------PETE M's 1988 JEEP COMANCHE OLYMPIC PIONEER----------

MODEL AND YEAR

1988 Pioneer 2wd/4.0/stick Olympic edition (with that gawd-awful gold stripe)

ENGINE & PERFORMANCE:

billion mile 4.0L, custom airfilter assembly that's too loud, gigantic borla muffler that's too quiet

DRIVETRAIN:

TJ AX-15, TJ np231, Ford Dana 44/9inch with 4.10 gears and mini-spools (plus an extra 3rd member with open diff for street), warn premium hubs

COOLING:

2 core late model XJ rad with cap, switched e-fan, second fan in hood pulling heat out of engine bay (hidden inside what looks like a hood scoop), A/C delete

ELECTRICAL & IGNITION:

red top optima, 190 amp alt, lots of custom stuff that hasn't caught fire yet...

STEERING:

custom/ford/jeep blend, Durango box in the works

SUSPENSION:

Ford radius arms up front with all sorts of custom touches to adapt it to the Jeep. about 5.5" total lift.

SOA rear with 2wd leafs plus extra main

MX-6 shocks all around

INTERIOR:

pretty much everything has been altered to suit my needs. overhead shelf, better cloth buckets, glovebox door deleted so I got a shelf, 3/4' plywood lining rear wall, 1" foam insulation glued to ceiling, CB, yada, yada, yada.

BRAKES:

stock ford front, disks in rear, dual booster coming eventually

LIGHTING:

fog/driving lights replacing front blinkers, aux rear lighting in bed, engine bay light and bed light added

WHEELS/TIRES:

15" steelies wearing 33x12.5 trXus MTs, or with 33x14 boggers in the rear if needed

MISCELLANEOUS:

custom rollbar, rocker guards, tire carrier, and bumpers. I built 'em, pros welded 'em.

also have a 1990 4x4 MJ (project "the jeep that Jeep should have built"), a 1986 4x4 Metric ton MJ (project "holy crap, that runs?!"), and a rust free shell in GA waiting for me.

Best MJ story

2005's operation "Moab and/or Bust". 3000 miles with my dog and my Jeep, meeting and wheeling with Comanche Club friends along the way  :comanche: wheeled in Moab, Colorado and Illinois

or maybe it was when I flew out to the Bonneville Salt flats to watch a pair of super fast MJs roar down the salt...

or maybe it was watching the previous world speed record holding LS2 MJ go up for auction...

or maybe it was the old Comanche Club PowWows at The Badlands offroad park...

or maybe it was when I pulled up that one car cover in Chrysler's super secret storage facility to find the one and only ThunderChief... :drool:

or maybe it was when Eric sent that email asking if he could put my baby in a freakin' BOOK!!  :jammin:   "XJ builders guide"  

What owner loves best about CC

being among other rabid fanatics makes me feel almost normal. :roflmao:

back in her early days as a 2wd.

moab:

Rockport offroad park in Illinois:

Colorado:

Badlands offroad park in indiana:

Genessee county public land in Michigan

Last Minute Mudders get together in Michigan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, where do I start. Yet another member that goes way back. Real way back. Hark to the days of Aslith, XJs4ever, hornbrod, and some other old cogers still lurking. Pete, it is because of you that we are where we are today. I remember watching the post count by month on the old group, waiting to break hundreds of posts in a month. Now, I think we surpass that in a week. The site is much easier to navigate, more user friendly for new guys, and appealing to look at. Fine job sir.

Not only that, but you are one of the only ones that can hold a candle to my amount of MJ crazy. Brothers cut from the same cloth. I've been waiting for the perfect time to spring this on you, and I think there was a general "overdue" consensus when I got a hold of the other mods. Always a pleasure sharing the helm with you, and helping you remember that lost item/thing/thought when your ever infamously poor memory kicks in.

I'm glad we got the chance to all get together again, have some drnks, and catch up again. Its always good to put faces to names, and wallow in the MJ crazy with a few of your fellow nut jobs. I wish we could have spent more time out there. But, anyway...

So here is to you old master of the MJ's... Enjoy the spotlight.

Rob L. :cheers:

Luckily I just checked in and saw the Aug 2011 MJOTM honoree. Rob did a stellar selection this month not for the vehicle, which is great, but for the man, the founder, who runs the CC. Have been here awhile starting with the old Yahoo forum, and Pete remains Pete; level headed, solid with zero rust (except for his rigs :D), and the anchor who built this forum from humble beginnings throughout the years to the best damn JeeP forum IMHO of them all. Don't ever change Pete, continue to keep all of us in line, and say HEY to Carly. :cheers:

When's the next wrenching gathering?

Pete has volunteered my house for the next gathering. I was thinking next spring or summer. I have a good pocket of active members around me, and am somewhat more centrally located than Detroit. Plus, I have 2000 sq ft of house to go around, so plenty of room. Maybe we could convince Worlds Fastest Comanche Peter to fire up the warbeast. (20 minutes away from me)

Rob

My life would have an empty spot in it if it wasnt for the Comanche Club! Thank you Pete for everything youve created and supplying the cards to hand out!

You truck is a work of art and deserves to be in the spotlight as long as it wants to :wrench: :cheers:

Very cool dude fo' sho'! Definitely a tip of the cap to you, your fleet, and your ability to keep this crazy place running and moving forward. From jumping in to keep the peace, to allowing a strange out of state member sleep on his futon... I bet this guy would do just about anything for any CC member.

Side story: A couple years ago I went out and bought "High Performance Jeep Cherokee XJ Builder's Guide". I was flipping through it very eager like as with any other Jeep book, and I saw Pete's truck. I was all, "OH MY GOD! I KNOW THAT TRUCK FROM THAT CRAZY SITE THAT I'M ON!!!". Little did I know that I would one day see the truck in person... let alone drive it around the block! If life is all about the experiences, then this guy has opened the door for so many here.

Thanks Pete and congratulations on being this month's MJOTM!

Thanks guys! :D and an extra big thanks to the guys who came to my house and got her running again. :cheers:

Ben, you should try driving her now. :yes: the shocks were on their softest setting before.

and I should probably add in a photo of the current paint job, though I don't yet have a shot of her wearing anything but the storage-only 31s.

Pete, do you have any more details on those cool mini-sunroofs you put in? Also, I like what you did with the space above the visors. Did you alter that space any to fit those things in there? I don't have a headliner and that looks like a good space for things.

the mini sunroofs were designed for the back of vans. called "mini vents" or something like that.

and the gap at the top of the ceiling is filled with the 1" foam I attached to the steel. that, plus the sunroofs were about an inch thick meant that everything almost looks like it was designed to be that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on MJOTM. I'm actually surprised this wasn't on here sooner. This Comanche is a great inspiration to me, and one of the ones I use as a reference for how I want mine to turn out. I hope to see more on this one and the others as time passes. :D

• kryptronic unpinned and featured this topic
  • 2 years later...