'88 MJ Restification (lots of pictures):

wow you know i just got done readin this whole thing and this is like my new bible haha

lots of good tips really enjoyed reading about it...i might have to hit you up for some tips and knowledge seeing how I'm new to this and your a seasoned mechanic....but overall amazing before and after truely awesome....

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the radio back in tonight and tied up a few loose wires. Don't think I ever posted this, but I really didn't like the green back light in the factory clock. Especially after swapping in the LED dash lights, so this is what a simple red SMD LED will do when installed in the factory clock. No more green.

wow you know i just got done readin this whole thing and this is like my new bible haha

lots of good tips really enjoyed reading about it...i might have to hit you up for some tips and knowledge seeing how I'm new to this and your a seasoned mechanic....but overall amazing before and after truely awesome....

Thanks and I'd be glad to help out, but there are a lot more knowledgeable members on here than me. There's a lot of info on here, if you're having a problem do a search. That's how I answered 90% of my questions.

:thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

I wish I had some updates, but unfortunately the MJ is on the back burner for now. I've had some nagging health problems since last fall that have finally caught up with me. I was diagnosed with with severe aortic stenosis, which is a complication from a congenital heart valve defect. The first of my two procedures is scheduled for June 28th.

I really don't like laying my personal life out on the internet, but I've had a quite a few people following my build and I wanted all of them to know I hadn't abandoned my build. It's just on a temporary hold, and Lord willing I'll resume the build later this summer after my recovery.

I would like to say thanks to everyone who's followed my build and for all the supportive comments. I love the Jeep community.

Peace,

Jeff

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

My surgery is set for Tues the 28th and I got tired of sitting around. After a slow start I got flurry (for me) of small items done yesterday.

Tied up the wiring harness, replaced the broken map sensor plug, and tied up the last of the electrical connections...

Installed the battery leads I fabbed up with Napa military spec terminals and welding cable...

I cannibalized the old vacuum harness and a partial harness from an HO and ran most of the vacuum lines. Still need to run the line to the vacuum ball on the bumper...

Tucked the EGR solenoid/relay in the lower front left corner and fabbed some new vacuum hard lines...

Still need the one vacuum line, a line for the vapor canister and coolant jug and she's done.

I also reconnected the speedo at the T-case and reconnected the parking brake cables under the bed. I started setting the length on the trac bar, but had to quit.

Be back soon.

Jeff

:cheers:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Boy That engine compartment looks great!..Hope your surgery went well and you'll be back wrenching soon! Best Regards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks everything did go well, just a couple of more weeks and i'll be back on it.

Glad the surgery went well. Hope the recovery goes quickly and you are back at normal speed soon. That has to be one of the cleanest engine compartments I have ever seen. Do you make house calls?

Buck.

Boy That engine compartment looks great!..Hope your surgery went well and you'll be back wrenching soon! Best Regards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks everything did go well, just a couple of more weeks and i'll be back on it.

Glad to see everything went well. jamminz.gif Can't wait to see you wrench some more on this beautiful truck. :thumbsup:

Found a small project I could manage. My tail lights are intact but have scratches and UV damage (too far gone for Meguiar's). Decided I'd try clear coating them.

I decided I'd start with the left side which was the worse of the 2. Cleaned and wet sanded the light starting with 400 grit, then 600, to 800 and finally 1000. Taped out the lens' for some black...

Used Kyrlon Fusion Satin Black and Rustoleum Gloss Clear.

Black...

Clear...

Not perfect, but better than before...

• 2 weeks later...
did you put new ac lines on your truck are did you clean and paint them?

also how are you going to keep the hot water out of the cab with out a shut off valve?

sorry just wondering :dunno:

I used #0000 steel wool on the A/C line fittings. The hot water will always be in the cab, just like the 97+ XJs.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Started back in on the MJ Monday. Been finishing up under the hood, and taking note of other stuff to finish up. Took off this morning to the PullaPart mostly for a washer bottle, but ended up with a few other goodies. Near mint rear bumper. $40...

After a quick clean...

and nice off white tailgate with just a few small dings in it. $37...

just spend the last 2 hours absorbing this whole thread. full of WIN :thumbsup:

Thanks

Where did you get your USB outlet?

I looked through my receipts, and I can't find anything on it. I remember found it on one of those tuner sites with the under car neon lights and crap, just can't think of the name of it. Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Just read thru whole thing and went to go to next page only to see I was at the end :(

Great work man if my truck was half as clean as yours....well that'd be tops, just tops. :thumbsup:

Hey where did you get those switches you used to reverse the polarity on ur windows?

-mine are a locking kind and those are much cleaner, want.

comanche.gif

Usual setbacks. Fairly new OE style radiator has a sprung leak. The only old part in the cooling system. My fault for being a tight a** and not replacing it...

New two row all metal radiator from a local parts house, I'll put in tomorrow before work...