'88 MJ Restification (lots of pictures):

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats make me want to change my radiator to open one and change the fans. Is it easy to change the radiator to open? what parts that I need to change?

sorry for :hijack: tho.

This link covers the conversion and parts-->http://www.olypen.com/craigh/rad.htm,

Pretty much covers the parts I picked up, except I'm using a '99 2 row factory radiator.

You don't have to convert the system to change out the fan(s). The new style electric fan is a drop in, you just have to change the connector. The Napa FC will fit all years regardless of the cooling system, just double check clearance if you are using a 3 row radiator.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Your pictures are great but I'm still a little in the dark as to how you proceeded, does the fuse block harness unplug inside the engine compartment or did you have to cut all the wires? Appreciate any information you can provide, mine is an 89 and it has leaked so much fluid that half the fuses are non-functional. Thanks, Keith

Your pictures are great but I'm still a little in the dark as to how you proceeded, does the fuse block harness unplug inside the engine compartment or did you have to cut all the wires? Appreciate any information you can provide, mine is an 89 and it has leaked so much fluid that half the fuses are non-functional. Thanks, Keith

Cut and solder, in hindsight it would have been easier to have gotten a whole harness. Here's the posts from about a year ago...

I've spent most of the past two days swapping out my fuse box. A couple of weeks ago I pulled a pretty nice fuse box out of an '89 XJ auto. One wire at a time and resoldering the the wire to the terminal. Pretty tedious. Finished up late yesterday:

Reinstalled it today PITA to do by yourself. The red wire is factory (from the XJ) and is connected to a 30 amp circuit breaker that would normally supply the power seats and door locks, but I hooked my power windows to it:

With the power windows connected to this circuit it allows the windows to be rolled up or down without the key. I did this intentionally, I read a post about it on NAXJA and seemed like a neat idea. We don't have small children or any near us, but if that changes it's a simple one wire swap. Here's a picture from a few minutes ago we got a pretty good shower late to day and no far no water leaks:

I also reinstalled my 'new' steering column. This on has tilt and I'm liking it. I also took a little time to time up all those unused connectors that were hanging down and the only thing hanging down now is the module for the intermittent wipers, which mounts on the lower dash panel:

Don't look like a whole lot of progress. but the list of stuff that didn't work prior to the fuse box install included horn, interior lights, dash lights, tail lights, etc. All of this now works. I'm pretty pleased... :banana: :rotfl2: :banana: :rotfl2: :banana:

:cheers: Jeff

Now that you're so good at it, you need to come re-do my 90's fuse box. :brows:

Sure, I'll bring the beer you get the pizza. :cheers:

With the seats and the steering column out of the way it wasn't nearly as bad as I had thought it would be. With a little trial and error I decided to solder the wires directly to the terminal instead of splicing all 25+ connections. Kinda like this:

Laid the boxes out side by side and did one wire at a time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to get back to the MJ, just finished a 4 week run at work with only 3 days off and I had a bunch of other crap piled up to do. I've finally put the worrisome headliner to rest. I dropped off the gray one I got from the Pull a Part at the upholstery shop...

and he recovered it for me in black. Run me about $50. I could have saved a little money and did it myself, but I'm bought all in on this headliner mess. Been a real PITA.

I had picked up several sets of visors and decided to use the two best left-hand ones so not to have a vanity mirror.

I found this product through Google and watched their demo video and I decided I'd try to dye them :fs1: Don't recommend, sent them to the upholsterer too.

I learned a hard and expensive lesson here...I chucked my backer and visors when I gutted the interior and I have paid for it. Trust me kids if yours are usable take care of them. Countless hours and too many dollars later here both pieces are finally installed...

:cheers:

Been finishing up a few interior details. Couldn't resist the upgrade bug and picked up one of these powered subs...SOUND ORDNANCE B-8PT...off Ebay with a missing remote for $74 shipped. Installed on the back panel...

It works great, but I did have to slightly modify the case to get it to mount to the panel. I also added a fire extinguisher..

I don't really like the exposed wires, but there're gonna be behind the bench...

:cheers:

How easy is access to the fire extinguisher with the seats in? You don't want to spend 5 minutes getting to it when you need it. I keep mine just inside the door mounted to the seat base.

Willy

Seat. Shot of the extinguisher with the bench seat folded forward. Straight shot to it.

I know, everybody ditches the bench for buckets, but I like the bench. Few shots installed

i like the before better, seems more original. :rotf:

especially the large unknown stain in front of seat. :thumbsup:

can't be as bad as my unknown stain :rotf:

oh damn....