'88 MJ Restification (lots of pictures):

Mock up of the bumper without the valance. The spacers allowed for pretty decent adjustment of the center 7" lights, which I didn't have before, even with the 6" lights in the center.

20180906_161345.jpg

I like it.

20180906_094120.jpg

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

The Detours light bar and Hellas look good.  :L:  Are you concerned at all with radiator air flow blockage?

When I bought the bar, the guy at Detours and I discussed that same thing. He said 4 6" lights shouldn't be a problem, but that was 4 6" lights. I ran his bar on my wife's 2000 XJ without issues, but that was only 3 "6 Hellas. IDK, If they do cause issues I have an adjustable t'stat for the aux fan I can tinker with or simply switch them out. 

8 minutes ago, kabowabo said:

When I bought the bar, the guy at Detours and I discussed that same thing. He said 4 6" lights shouldn't be a problem, but that was 4 6" lights. I ran his bar on my wife's 2000 XJ without issues, but that was only 3 "6 Hellas. IDK, If they do cause issues I have an adjustable t'stat for the aux fan I can tinker with or simply switch them out. 

It will probably be fine. I have the short Detours light bar on mine and have two 10" x 7" Marchals on it - no problems.

Spent some time this weekend cleaning up the interior and reattaching everything. I'm repairing a few cracked or stripped out mounting holes for the dash and trim, which has turned out to be more time consuming than I had hoped. I also started a list of missing/misplaced parts, lots of little stuff, but the most irritating is the trim panel for the gauges.

20180915_161018.jpg

On 11/3/2012 at 2:11 AM, kabowabo said:

'00 XJ proportioning valve, XJ proportioning valve lines, the XJ left front hard line and another ZJ proportioning valve.

The hard lines for the rear and RF can be re-bent to reach the XJ valve, then simply replace the LF line. No double or bubble flares, no custom lines and no adapters. After the install I then pulled the plunger and spring from the XJ valve and replaced them with the ZJ stuff. This pic shows the difference between the two.

Using the parts I listed takes a lot of the headaches out of the dual diaphragm booster upgrade for the Renix. BTW Disregard the part about the ZJ valve if you are running rear drums.

Awesome build.  I got to page 17 where you revisited the WJ booster install.  I did the WJ booster on my 90 XJ and plan to do the swap on my 90 MJ.  I understand the MJs have a different brake line setup with a load valve and other screwy bits.  I plan to build mine as a lowered, v8 swapped hot rod - no heavy loads and no off road use.  It looks like your setup is what I need to copy.  But I am a little confused.  Am I assuming correctly that the '00 XJ uses bubble flares to match the WJ booster?  

2 hours ago, bad_idea said:

Awesome build.  I got to page 17 where you revisited the WJ booster install.  I did the WJ booster on my 90 XJ and plan to do the swap on my 90 MJ.  I understand the MJs have a different brake line setup with a load valve and other screwy bits.  I plan to build mine as a lowered, v8 swapped hot rod - no heavy loads and no off road use.  It looks like your setup is what I need to copy.  But I am a little confused.  Am I assuming correctly that the '00 XJ uses bubble flares to match the WJ booster?  

Thanks for looking, the WJ booster ended up having a vacuum leak and the hard lines I fabbed up looked like A$$, so I scrapped the whole swap.

What I'm currently running is a 2000 XJ reman booster, new master cylinder, used proportioning valve, proportioning valve hard lines and the left front hard line. The right front and the rear hard lines are stock MJ. I replaced the XJ proportioning valve plunger with one from a ZJ  (I'm running rear discs). I also removed the rear load sensing valve and one of its hard lines. I used the valves return line as the new rear line.

That said, If your valve is working properly it's safer to leave it in place and use the stock proportioning valve. My valve didn't work properly and most here don't recommend removing it unless there is an issue.

1736844581dfc970a0c6dd5fea6c4173.jpg

I'm with you now.  I'm not concerned with retaining the load valve as I won't use the truck for carrying a load. :laugh:  I have an F250 for loads.  The MJ is just for putting around town.  Biggest load will be the trash cans when I haul the trash to the dump.  Thanks for the info.

On 8/29/2018 at 8:49 PM, kabowabo said:

You may have noticed my build abruptly stopped about 5 or 6 years ago. I've had to deal with some severe health problems, but the MJ and I are still here. I dusted it off today and the plan is to button all the loose items up and get this thing in for paint by the end of the year. Been a long time since I started this project, hopefully I can finish it up in the next few months. 

20180829_195121.jpg

20180829_195025.jpg

20180829_195031.jpg

20180829_213945.jpg

Just found your post and as a newbie that is going to start a similar journey for a MJ restoration project I found it full of information and inspiration, nice work you are doing on this one

On 9/19/2018 at 2:28 PM, MJ Hammer said:

Just found your post and as a newbie that is going to start a similar journey for a MJ restoration project I found it full of information and inspiration, nice work you are doing on this one

Thanks.

• 1 month later...