'88 MJ Restification (lots of pictures):

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been working on my remaining interior trim pieces, figured I start with the big b-pillar pieces...

I've been obsessing over this B-pillar light. Stock replacements are impossible too find or expensive. I thought using the same Led's woodkrawler used...

but I really wanted something that would snap into the factory hole. I found these VW lights and the fit the hole fairly well...

but I just didn't really like them. I'm not sure exactly what I was looking for, but I was doing a image search on Google and stumbled on this picture...

It's an aftermarket replacement interior light that's marketed for Hot Rods and custom cars. Made by a US company called Euramtec. I found their website and downloaded the spec sheet on the lights. You can see from their measurements it's almost identical to the factory MJ lights...

After about a half hour of searching, I found a site that sells classic car lenses and they had a listing for them. I got both of them for $35 shipped. Compared to the VW lens...

I painted the trim and fitted the new lights...

Mods to the trim was minimum. The height of the new light was perfect, and I had to file about a 1/16 of an inch of material to make them fit length wise. Fitted...

I really like the way they look installed and as an added bonus the function of the new lights is the same as the factory.

UP - on/off with the door

Center - off

Down - on/map light

The finished left panel next to the right...

I used SEM satin black on the panels. This stuff is amazing. Finish is nearly a perfect match to the sheen on the factory panels.

looks good, thats the same interior lights I used, not sure if you saw mine on my project build. I'm very happy with mine, been in for 3 or 4 months. very good quality.

I guess one of us should do a write up on them so others can find them. haha

when you get that thing driving you should come drive back down and check out our 5.9l Comanche project.

looks good, thats the same interior lights I used, not sure if you saw mine on my project build. I'm very happy with mine, been in for 3 or 4 months. very good quality.

I guess one of us should do a write up on them so others can find them. haha

when you get that thing driving you should come drive back down and check out our 5.9l Comanche project.

I wish I had seen them, it would have saved me a ton of time. I just read your build-up, man. I would like to see it. I'd planned on doing an HO swap when the old Renix lays down, but a V8 sounds awful tempting.

haha, yeah took me alot of searching to find those lights too.

My brother and I have also done a HO head swap and kept the renix engine computer on a buddy's 88 Cherokee, its not that hard but if we were to do it over again would probably just swap the entire harness and HO computer. Renix Computer system is funny, seems like it doesn't really know how to take full advantage of the upgrade.

if you already have the drivetrain set up for a 4.0l, a HO stroker would be a better option, or just a nicely built HO engine with matching engine controls.

I think my brother is still under the 2k range with his 5.9l swap including transmission and everything. Depends on what kind of deal you can find...

haha, yeah took me alot of searching to find those lights too.

My brother and I have also done a HO head swap and kept the renix engine computer on a buddy's 88 Cherokee, its not that hard but if we were to do it over again would probably just swap the entire harness and HO computer. Renix Computer system is funny, seems like it doesn't really know how to take full advantage of the upgrade.

if you already have the drivetrain set up for a 4.0l, a HO stroker would be a better option, or just a nicely built HO engine with matching engine controls.

I think my brother is still under the 2k range with his 5.9l swap including transmission and everything. Depends on what kind of deal you can find...

I've got no issues with my current Renix setup. I'm probably going to run it as is till I have a problem and gather up the pieces for the swap up until then. The HO will probably be the way I go, but a stroker does sound interesting. There's a guy over at Jeep forum doing a stroker in his MJ, I'm going to watch how his turns out.

I'm from China Grove so I'm down around Salisbury occasionally, I would like to see and hear that 5.9 in person some day.

I spent the past few days painting the rest of my interior panels...

I finally got off my behind and started reassembling my interior. I decided to use a combination of a couple of home improvement store products for sound deadening/insulation. The flashing material woodkrawler used on the floors and this stuff on the vertical surfaces and under the headliner. Great big old roll for $30.

Installed behind the headliner.

My headliner backer was destroyed, and I have yet to find a decent one. Late last fall I picked this one up form a guy that makes headliners for collector cars etc from scratch.

Back.

Picked up some monster Velcro and away I went.

Now to say this was a PITA to install would be an understatement, it had to be tweaked quite a bit to make it work. That said it still looks OK, I set the B-pillar panels in to see how it would look. Still ended up with a few small wrinkles, and for $135 that just aggravates the hell out of me.

Pulled the trigger (always wanted to say that) on some new tires. Not exactly what I wanted, but my friend has had pretty good luck out of these on his Dodge. Has anyone priced tires lately? BFG All Terrains in my size are $191 each. Wow. Got these for $155 each.

Rusty rotors, need to get it drivable.

don't worry about the Nittos, they are a good tire, just not as well known. I have one friend that runns them exclusively for many years now. Hie is 99% on road, but gets excellent mileage from them. he was also a staunch BFG fan before switching over. My brother-in-law couldnt get the BGF's I suggested for him when he put bigger tires on his Nissan PU. The tire place gave him a good deal on the higher priced nittos. he has 20K on them and there is barely any wear. He does off road a fair amount, but mostly class6 roads with minor rock work. No chipping so far.

I was going to grad a set of nitto Muds but another set of BFG muds came along first...

I think your gonna like em'.. :thumbsup: Thruck looks good too!!

CW

its looking really good.

I could really tell a difference with the home depot sound deadener on my roof.

Also my truck never came with a back interior panel, but my brothers did, so I traced his on some thin plywood and covered with left over headliner material. It is incredibly quiet even with no carpet.

Just think when its all done you shouldn't have to take it back apart for a long time!

I want to see that thing! hurry up

hah

I plan on redoing my interior in the spring too!! Gonna use the sound deaden like you did and the spray on in the areas where the sheet stuff isn't usable. Hope you quiet the noise and insulate a bit better...

The BLACK looks very nice, GOOD JOB!!

CW

don't worry about the Nittos, they are a good tire, just not as well known. I have one friend that runns them exclusively for many years now. Hie is 99% on road, but gets excellent mileage from them. he was also a staunch BFG fan before switching over. My brother-in-law couldnt get the BGF's I suggested for him when he put bigger tires on his Nissan PU. The tire place gave him a good deal on the higher priced nittos. he has 20K on them and there is barely any wear. He does off road a fair amount, but mostly class6 roads with minor rock work. No chipping so far.

I was going to grad a set of nitto Muds but another set of BFG muds came along first...

I think your gonna like em'.. :thumbsup: Thruck looks good too!!

CW

That's good to hear. I was really wanted some BFG's, but my wife would have throttled me if I had dropped $850 on a set of tires. The look of the tires is starting to grow on me.

I plan on redoing my interior in the spring too!! Gonna use the sound deaden like you did and the spray on in the areas where the sheet stuff isn't usable. Hope you quiet the noise and insulate a bit better...

The BLACK looks very nice, GOOD JOB!!

CW

Thanks CW

its looking really good.

I could really tell a difference with the home depot sound deadener on my roof.

Also my truck never came with a back interior panel, but my brothers did, so I traced his on some thin plywood and covered with left over headliner material. It is incredibly quiet even with no carpet.

Just think when its all done you shouldn't have to take it back apart for a long time!

I want to see that thing! hurry up

hah

I'm ready to drive it. I'm going to use the same hardboard I used in my door panels, got a few things in mind.

Spent some more time on the headliner today. Got all but one small wrinkle out.

Then I stripped out one of the bolts for the grab handle and decided to give it a rest.

Fedex and USPS brought a few goodies, lightened my mood some.

The switch for the passenger power window was starting to go, so I ordered some new DPDT rocker switches. The truck didn't come with power windows and when I wired them in I had just put one switch on each door. OK, but kind of a PITA to reach the passenger side (not sure what I was thinking there). I got the switches from OTRATTW. Great people.

I decided to mount the switches here, where factory switches would normally go.

The factory bracket needed just minor filing in the corners of the holes for the switches to fit.

Coat of SEM paint and ready to install.

Also got the parts for my headlight conversion.

The quality of the Autopal lights was surprising and they are about half the price of Hella and IPF. Housings w/bulbs and the 100w harness ran me $78 shipped.

I would like to hear your thoughts on the Autopal's...I had some on a Beetle, but never got to use them...

I had Hellas in my old '92 XJ. Excellent lights. These I read about on another forum, and everything I read was good. We'll see.

:agree:

I'm very interested in this mod, looking at doing it to both of my MJs someday... a write up would be appreciated if you wouldn't mind going through the hassle of doing it.

Thanks in Advance.

Just bear with me, I've got several things I'm trying to get back together in it right now. When I get them installed I'll a least post up some pics here.