'88 MJ Restification (lots of pictures):

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weds. was one of those kind of :fs1: kinda days. A few annoying things popped up. Last month I purchased a set of Raybestos Ceramic brake pads and when I pulled them out of the box they were wrong. The parts store I bought them from was out of the number I needed, Won't have anymore in till thursday afternoon at the earliest. : :fs1: While I'm not a big of the "Zone", I went by and picked up a set of their Ceramic based pads. Not too bad plus I had a $20 credit. :thumbsup:

The NAPA TJ font brake lines I purchased 2 years ago XJ were 3"+ longer than stock so I purchased another set for the MJ. Pulled them out of the box today and they're the exact same length as the old MJs. I rolled under the XJ and the new NAPA lines are shorter than the old NAPA lines. :fs1: After that I pretty much called today a wash and had a beer. :thumbsup: I did find a deal online for some SS brake lines. PORC had front and rear for $87 shipped to my door by Friday. :thumbsup: BTW an extra :thumbsup: to the guys at PORC who took my order 2 minutes before they closed.

Did manage to get my hubs and backing plates installed:

With a rotor:

:cheers: Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Basically finished up my front end today. Still have to bleed the brakes, tie off the brake lines and do some touching up.

Front progress:

Next up, I planned to install my front wheels and tires. Not being able to find the lug nuts turned out to be a bad omen. Because fifteen minutes later I dumped her off the jack-stands. No real damage most of it can be touched up. The worst of it is a nice size dent in the drivers side floor board, that's going to be a real b**ch to repair. Sorry no photos of the carnage, I was too busy dry heaving.

Right in the middle of that cluster, UPS brought the rear springs. Look pretty good, Thanks to the guys at HellCreek. Top notch service.

I broke down and asked my neighbor for a hand and we got the truck up, and on the wheels in just a few minutes.

Here's some uphill pics of it sitting on B/S 265/75R16's and the soft 8's I'll most likely be running. The tires don't look that big in the pics but on the truck they look huge.

The Bridgestones are temporary, I've been looking at tires all week and I've got it somewhat narrowed down. Side view of the 265's:

I'm staying with my original plans and using the 8.25 that I've already started on. I was really thinking of selling the D44, but I've been swamped with a bunch of low ball offers so it looks like it will stay in the basement (there's always the next project). The D44:

Here's the 8.25 I'm starting with. '99 model, drum brakes, 29 spline axles and 3.55 gears.

I spent today cleaning the 8.25 up and getting it prepped to have the new perches welded on. If everything works out I hope to have it ready to go in by Monday or Tuesday.

Making some progress on the rear diff. Got the perches welded on, the brother in law did a pretty decent job. Some pic of the welds:

Another shot:

We welded the perches parallel to the old XJ ones and after they were welded I cut the old ones off and smoothed the tubes out:

Ready for finish sanding:

Finish sanded and...:

...ready for paint:

Painted up:

Monday I headed out to the junk yards hoping to find some ZJ rear brakes, but after 2 yards no luck. I went to the third yard and scored better than I expected. I found a set off an '05 KJ with 49K. The backing plates, calipers and the assorted nuts and bolts - $85. KJ's came with an 8.25 from the factory so no grinding out the centers of the mounting brackets. Just bolt them on. I had read about using the KJ brakes here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/fitting-kj-liberty-rear-disc-brakes-xj-cherokee-8-25-axle-750112/

Ceramic brake pads, new rotors and some hardware from the 'Zone' $115.

Parking brake assembled on one side. I picked up the longer mounting studs for the backing plate/caliper bracket, but they were a PITA to reinstall so I drilled the holes a little larger and used 3/8 grade 8 bolts with nylox nuts.

The install is surprisingly simple, the only real obstacle will be installing the soft lines.

Looking great and nice score on the disc brakes. :thumbsup:

Was kind of wondering exactly what you meant by this;

We welded the perches parallel to the old XJ ones and after they were welded I cut the old ones off and smoothed the tubes out:

I'm assuming that by parallel that your talking about where the leaf lays on the perch and not that you put it just in the same position on the tube on the opposite side. I'm sure you know the XJ and MJ perches are different distances apart.

:cheers:

Looking great and nice score on the disc brakes. :thumbsup:

Was kind of wondering exactly what you meant by this;

I'm assuming that by parallel that your talking about where the leaf lays on the perch and not that you put it just in the same position on the tube on the opposite side. I'm sure you know the XJ and MJ perches are different distances apart.

:cheers:

I am aware of that. They are parallel but spaced further in. My hurried description just neglected to mention it, sorry for the confusion.

I've been sidelined for most of the last week waiting on parts. I ordered a set of SS brake lines for the front and rear, but I wanted some for the rear calipers as well. I found what I needed at Summit Racing. Earl's brand right length, right ends everything except they are out of stock til Dec. 1...then Dec 7...now Dec 12. I canceled the order and tried to figure out how to use the rubber lines I have. Most of the rear disc conversions I've seen online have either left the line dangling or welded the bracket to the housing. I wanted to do neither, so here is what I came up with. I reversed the lines from left to right and mounted them with the loop the bottom. I then ground the mounting tab to fit. Not what I wanted to do, but the loop is a good inch above the housing bottom and should work out OK...

The hard line installed. Still needs to be tweaked a little, but you get the idea...

Clearance shot. I shouldn't ever be an issue...

After drizzling rain all day Monday, today turned out pretty nice. I got inspired, so my son Jake and I yanked the old D35 out. A before shot...

Here's a couple shots of the factory 'load sensing valve'. I plan to bypass this and run a XJ proportioning valve until I upgrade to a dual diaphragm booster and newer model master cylinder. Then I'll switch it out for a ZJ 4 wheel disc unit.

No more D35, or much of anything else...

A forgotten part. The shackle bushings are shot, gonna have to order some tonight. Scrounged around a little and found an Energy Suspensions part number (2.2111G), be here in a few days.

Last stop for the old D35.

I hopefully will have all the parts together for the 8.25 install after I finish my 8 day stretch at work, that begins on Thanksgiving day. :fs1: Now if I can only make up my mind on a diff cover.

Now if I can only make up my mind on a diff cover.

I went with a Rock Crusher cover from jasin over at jeepinoutfitters. Its a ncie looking cover, the fill plug is pretty high, so just watch how much fluid you put it, it will fill up the tubes before it over flows out of the fill hole. I think I added an extra 1/2 quart to mine, just for a little more oil.

rcr18250.jpg

http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts ... oduct=1518

Now if I can only make up my mind on a diff cover.

I went with a Rock Crusher cover from jasin over at jeepinoutfitters. Its a ncie looking cover, the fill plug is pretty high, so just watch how much fluid you put it, it will fill up the tubes before it over flows out of the fill hole. I think I added an extra 1/2 quart to mine, just for a little more oil.

rcr18250.jpg

http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts ... oduct=1518

I've looked at those, one thing I found interesting thing is the wide differences in the prices I assume it's the same cover :dunno: ...

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/rockcrusher-chrysler-825-diff-cover-p-9223.html

There is a bunch of great covers out there!! I decided on a Blue Torch Fab cover for my 8.8 in my TJ.

CW

I like it. Nice beefy looking cover. I was told that the 8.25 from Blue Torch is back ordered though. I ended up ordering The Riddler Cover from Rokmen.