'88 MJ Restification (lots of pictures):

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The early warm weather has been some what of a distraction (actually a real big distraction), but I still worked on the interior some. This is probably one of the hardest things I've ever done-cut a hole right dead in the middle of a carpet kit I paid $150 for...

I realized that I didn't have a replacement inside boot and the one I had was mangled...

I found a random import boot I had laying around a made one...

Some progress...

Mucking around with the mini console...

I have a panel mount USB extention cable and I was thinking of mounting it here...

...out of the way and easy access to the memory stick for my sound system. What do you think?

I have a panel mount USB extention cable and I was thinking of mounting it here...

...out of the way and easy access to the memory stick for my sound system. What do you think?

That would be a good place as long as you don't say, leave it in and throw something in between the seats and break off the memory stick. If your not a smoker and don't use the ash tray as a coin tray, that would be a nice out of sight place as well as the glove box.

Great work by the way. Let us know how well the carpet fits once your done. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

That would be a good place as long as you don't say, leave it in and throw something in between the seats and break off the memory stick. If your not a smoker and don't use the ash tray as a coin tray, that would be a nice out of sight place as well as the glove box.

Great work by the way. Let us know how well the carpet fits once your done. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Excellent thinking, I never consider that. Probably just going to end up sticking it in the glove box.

I've finished with the seat belts and carpet. Had to get a little inventive with the seat belt mounting...

Ran a 3/8 grade 8 bolt in from the back side and tweaked the retractor assembly forward a little. The grade 8 bolt with the lock nut should keep every thing in place.

Finished...

Carpet and back panel installed...

The wiring for the amp isn't quite finished. I'm undecided about the Amp, honestly it's a $95 disappointment...

Nice and vacuumed, if you install a carpet kit clean up the backing material as you go it's a PITA to get out after it's been stepped on.

The carpet has a few wrinkles in it which after time should smooth out. The worst part of the install was the trimming. :cheers: Jeff

Where are you getting the Leds for the cluster and the lights for your controls and warning lights?

Ebay, search for "94 smd led". Those are the ones I use for the cluster lights. The indicators are inexpensive 94 single standard LEDS. The heater controls and lights to the left are 74s I bought a 3 smd for the heater controls and the left hand warning lights are 74 standard single bulbs color matched to the position. Shift light=amber etc.

When I search "94 smd led" there are over 1500 listings. Sorry to ask you to do this, but can you be more specific, or maybe post a link from a listing of the proper ones? :oops: :dunce:

Just so I'm clear....are those LEDs a snap in replacement? Or do you need to splice the pigtail? I'd love to replace the yellow peed-on look of my guage cluster

And just wth is going on with your seatbelt? I'm a little lost

The seatbelts are made by RetroBelt, they're made to update the belts in most any vintage car or in this case Jeep. The retractor can be mounted in a variety of ways, and that's the only way they'd fit/work.

The LED conversion is an easy "plug and play" operation.

1. standard 94 bulb

2. single old style led. good for shifter lights etc.

3. 4 SMD LED bulb, like I'm using

Front view. The 74's are similar but only use 3 SMD LEDs

Where are you getting the Leds for the cluster and the lights for your controls and warning lights?

Ebay, search for "94 smd led". Those are the ones I use for the cluster lights. The indicators are inexpensive 94 single standard LEDS. The heater controls and lights to the left are 74s I bought a 3 smd for the heater controls and the left hand warning lights are 74 standard single bulbs color matched to the position. Shift light=amber etc.

When I search "94 smd led" there are over 1500 listings. Sorry to ask you to do this, but can you be more specific, or maybe post a link from a listing of the proper ones? :oops: :dunce:

I kind of shorted you on an answer I actually used a mix of LEDs in the cluster. I used SMD LEDs where I needed a lot of light (the gauges and the heater controls).

The SMDs I got off Ebay

For the 94's behind the gauges (nine total if I recall) I used this seller...

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/xk-led/

One his current listings is below. It's for white, but he has colors available now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/8-x-T10- ... 3cab0e2fdb

For the 1 SMD 74 I needed for the heater controls I bought from this seller...

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ledw ... _auctions/

current listing...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-SMT-LED-74-T5-Mini-Wedge-Bulb-White-12-volt-DC-SMD-/110430624609?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19b62d9b61

The 94's in the turn signals and the 74's in the indicators I bought from this website...

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Fmini-wedge.html

Why did I buy from so many different sources?...

... I had originally planned on doing it in red. I bought cheap red LEDs and it turned out a dim pink mess. I bought brighter pure white to replace them and I'm pretty pleased.

I cheaped out on my initial purchase and bought single wide angle LEDs for everything. For my second purchase I figured which lights needed to be extra bright and bought SMDs to replace those (instrument cluster and heater controls).

The LEDs dim very little with the OE dimmer. As the electrician at work explained..."Standard incandescent bulbs are dimmed by varying the voltage with resistance. LEDs can be dimmed using PWM (pulse width modulation)" :???: He suggested wiring something like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PWM-dimmer-switch-12v-DC-LED-and-panel-lights-6-amp-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e5b6ef406QQitemZ130383016966QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

...into the OE dimmer circuit. Not being able to dim the dash lights in not a big deal to me, but some people are bugged by it. Just wanted you to be aware.

:cheers: Jeff

• 4 months later...

I spent a lot of this summer on a lot of other projects, but I have been finishing up on some grunt work on the MJ. I reinstalled the door panels and replaced the outside door handles. Older pic of the door panels...

Old handles...

and the new style. I also ran down some rattles in the doors and readjusted the drivers door. Doors open a lot smoother and easier now.

Finished the stereo install. I've decided to go with a different amp, and I'm finishing up the install on that today...

The WJ booster went south on me, so I replaced them with 95-96 XJ units. The old style brake light switch requires grinding on the end of the booster push rod in order to fit. :thumbdown: I solved that with an HO cruise control bracket and a simple painless wiring switch.

The switch...

After installing the brake light switch I found I had no rear lights. I spent 2 or 3 days trying to tack down the short to the rear lights and it turned out to be nothing more than a loose connection on the steering column connector. :mad: Prewired my aux. light switches...

...finished up the window switches...

...and buttoned up all the other loose wires etc under the dash.

Since I'm running a bench seat, I'm using a mini console around the shifters. I needed somewhere out of the way to mount my USB outlet and I stumbled on this at the JY...

On the right is the stock console and the one on left is the one I picked up. It's from a '95 XJ Base model 2WD. Notice on the front of the console Jeep added some length to it fill in the area between the console and the bottom of the dash...

Which ended up being perfect for my USB outlet and an additional 12v charging port for my phone.

All cleaned up and installed...

And with the USB stick plugged in.

The interior to date still got a couple of panels to install...

I'm planning a face lift along with the headlight install, aux lights etc. Showing some age...

a little rust.

and some dings.

More on this in the next few days.

Some progress on the front...

Before...

Stripped...

Installed Caddie horns (loud as hell).

Cleaner...

Test fitting the Detours light bar and lights. The lights are Hella 500s on the inside and some leftover Westin 5.75 inch lights on the outside.

:cheers2:

Installed my dusty front skid tonight...

Also double checked the tightness on the suspension bolts and set the track bar length.

I picked this stuff up last winter...

and now I'm finally starting the install.

I've been confined to a few hours at night to work on the MJ, so a quick update. I got to work on a little more of the interior...

Finished the replacement amp install. Older model Alpine, just need to find the end cover screws...

Stripped, painted and reassembled the front bumper. Along with the end caps, grill, light bezels a few interior pieces etc...

Got a package from Morris Automotive, with the export front signals I ordered. I like...

:cheers2:

great project! :thumbsup:

I'm keep dying to add swaybar on my mj since my mj swaybar is missing

before the way do u have update pic of parking lamp installed on ur mj? I'm more curious about it. its look great!

Don, (hornbrod) has them. I like the ambers better than the clears.

Rob L. :cheers: