'88 MJ Restification (lots of pictures):

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been spending as much time on my MJ as I would have wanted in the past couple of weeks. Some turmoil here at home and now the flu have slowed me down. Here's a run down of my current progress to date. Beware on the pics I haven't posted in a while. :D

I've continued on with the insulation. Behind the seat

the B pillars

And finished the seams off with some foil duct tape

For the floor pans I used a waterproof self adhesive flashing I picked up at Lowe's (thanks woodkrawler) for about $15 a roll.

Ended up using about 4 rolls. Started on the right side.

and finally the right side finished.

I finally had to force myself to face the damage from my jackstand miscue last fall. Surprisingly I caught a huge break on the repair. One good whack from my #10 dead-blow hammer undid about 90% of the damage. A little seam sealer.

and a coat of bed liner and it's good as new.

Well almost. Continuing with the insulation, left side.

More left.

Starting the trans hump.

I vacuumed and lightly cleaned the floor with alcohol before I started, and there's no way this stuff is coming up without a fight.

Finally finished. I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Fuse box came in from Summit Racing for the head light conversion, with a few extra slots for future lighting.

I decided to upgrade my rear speakers, so I pulled my 0 miles Sony Xplods and ordered some Infinitys.

$79.95 shipped from SonicElectronix. Pretty sweet.

I pulled my door panels again to rewire the speakers and doors. A shot of the door speakers.

Super job on the floor. I may have to invest in some of that.

I looked at their site as was wondering if it smells like asphalt/tar as it says this: "TITE-SEAL™ is a self-adhesive waterproof flashing material composed of a reinforced metalized plastic film, with an asphalt mastic adhesive. Also, does it have any heat restrictions or any other hazards listed on the roll?

Your going to love the Infinity's. jamminz.gif

:cheers:

I picked up some XTC speaker baffles online. 2 each 5.25s and 4x6 shallow.

I installed the right side speakers. Rear mounted in the baffle.

Test fit install.

Done.

Front baffle, before trim.

Trimmed and done.

Picked up a set of seat belts from RetroBelt, decent enough quality. On the test fit they look like they'll work.

Come with a removable sleeve on the female side. In the event I ever want to go with buckets I won't have to scrounge fro belts again. More on them later.

Super job on the floor. I may have to invest in some of that.

I looked at their site as was wondering if it smells like asphalt/tar as it says this: "TITE-SEAL™ is a self-adhesive waterproof flashing material composed of a reinforced metalized plastic film, with an asphalt mastic adhesive. Also, does it have any heat restrictions or any other hazards listed on the roll?

Your going to love the Infinity's. jamminz.gif

No odor at all. No temp warnings or restrictions on the label either.

I decided to upgrade my head unit as well. The loud beeping it makes after it's powering it off (to remind you to remove the faceplate) and never ending clutter on the unit display was more than I could take. I had my mind set on an Alpine iDA-X303, but after waiting for 2 weeks for them to come and still no unit. I decided to buy a different head unit and pony up a little more for a modest amp.

I bought a Blaupunkt Kingston Head unit and a SPL FX4-840 four channel amp. Is it the head unit I wanted? No, but it does have the features I wanted. Front, Rear and Sub outputs. Rear USB out put, etc.

Now comes the fun part of wiring it all in, along with the power windows. Wiring underway.

Power window switches. The layout for the back of the OTRATTW switches I'm using.

and the basic wiring diagram I'm working off.

Switch wiring

another shot.

With parking lights on.

Parking lights off

and finished.

Still tinkering with the audio wiring. The previous owner had Circuit City install his head unit. What a mess. Can't figure out why they ever went out of business.

Cleaned the bed out about 2 weeks ago, now it's back to it's catch-all duty.

Started on my rear panel this week. Cut the new panel out of 3/16 hard board. $13.51 for a 4 x 8 sheet.

I removed the stock jack mounts, and when I reinstalled the mounting brackets I put one on each side at the exact same spot (instead of both on the left).

I cut out a reinforcement section for the center. The "grain" runs the opposite direction as the main panel. and glued it up. Here you can see the bracket placement. Very stiff.

I marked and drilled the mounting holes for the amp and used these #10-32 x 5/16 Tee Nuts from the back side.

Tee Nuts installed.

Time for the cover. Glued up and ready.

Glued setting on the front. I used speaker box cloth I picked up at a local Audio shop. A 4x6 piece was $15.

Back side glued, stapled and trimmed.

Finished.

Hardware to mount the amp. Four #10-32 x 1/2 inch stainless Allen heads, Four Stainless #10 washers and Four Neoprene #10 washers. Hardware run about $6.

Amp mounted.

Inside shot. I had to add a 3" strip of the bubble insulation across the top to make it sit flush (similar to the factory piece just not as thick).

I think it turned out pretty good, Stiff enough to support the amp and maybe a few other things all for less than $35.

That's it for now, the flu is kicking my butt and I'm heading to bed.

quick question I also bought the insulant for the truck and I just wanna know what u used to fix it on the roof and the back wall

TX

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Manufacturing/Industry/Product-Catalog/Online-Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECFTDQGLE0_nid=N23ZLBTF6HgsLX2H2QQ654glF4GT15FZTJbl

3M 80 spray adhesive, left over from my door panel repair.

Great JOB! I really like your detailed work, kind of reminds me of myself at times. I like your amp board and T-nut install with the allen bolts, I also like your use of the foam baffles by crutchfield. I would use some dynamat inside them or outside them to add a little more mass. Overall excellent job, keep posting the pics.

I've been looking over this forum and this thread for a few days and became a member today. I have a '88 MJ sportruck 2wd about to become a 4wd. I must say your truck is awesome and is my inspiration for my truck. I especial like the interior. Keep up the good work and keep posting updates!

I am a fairly new member on here and have found your restification pictures and information absolutely awe inspiring. Incredibly informative. I got my 91' MJ 2 wheel drive LWB for $325, and drove it home!!!!! It has been a reliable ride until I spent more money and attention to the girl friend I had at the time. I neglected to replace a bad U-joint, and during a late night ride home listening to her nagging and whining I downshifted and hit the gas rounding a corner to try and get her to lessen the whining at least and dropped the driveshaft. It knocked the driveshaft out of balance and as I continued with that girl friend a little more then replaced her with a close friend of her's, I neglected to get it rebalanced. The vibration shook bolts loose in a few places and I ended up breaking the bellhousing. But I am working on getting it back together. I love working on it and the more I work on it the more I like it. And currently it is alot easier to put up with than either of the women. I work on it most evenings and weekends when the weather cooperates and the pay check allows. I work at Forest River Texas division, and head up the Living Quarters dept. And sometimes work donates things here and there, i.e., silicone caulk, fuses, wire loom, etc. I install a living quarters in cargo trailers, a complete 12 volt system for when they are away from a plug in spot. Thanks for posting your project, Doing the work yourself is the best teacher... but your posts are a very close second. Great job!!! Nice Ride.

I've been looking over this forum and this thread for a few days and became a member today. I have a '88 MJ sportruck 2wd about to become a 4wd. I must say your truck is awesome and is my inspiration for my truck. I especial like the interior. Keep up the good work and keep posting updates!

Thanks. I hope to have it on the road May 1.

...I love working on it and the more I work on it the more I like it. And currently it is alot easier to put up with than either of the women. I work on it most evenings and weekends when the weather cooperates and the pay check allows...

I know this feeling well... :thumbsup:

Thought I'd throw up a couple small updates instead of one huge one. I finished the speaker install and I've repaired the wiring harness for the radio.

I did a test run for the sound system the display on the new system made the dash lights look a dingy yellow. Pic of the old cluster with the lights on.

Ignoring the last item on the list (and my wife), I added a face lift for the gauge cluster.

I started with some T10 194 LEDs. On the right some 4-smd bulbs for the gauges, 9 total and on the left single bulb LEDs 1 in blue for the high beam indicator and 2 in green for and the turn signal indicators.

The gauge surround back was no longer blue instead it was more of an aged yellow.

Gave the back a fresh coat of white...

...and the front a coat of SEM black.

Installed and lit up. The lights are now a crisp white, the glare around the edges is from my cheap camera.

The lights for the heater controls and the warning lights have not came in yet. I finished running the wires for the sound system tonight and I'm starting the carpet install tomorrow evening.

very nice, The led's in the gauge cluster is of the coolest interior mods for the money . I put blue in mine, only thing is you can't dim them.

haha, modifications are never ending, just swapped a 01+ intake manifold on mine last weekend. i try to space them out since I still drive it everyday.

You going to the auto-fair this weekend?

Where are you getting the Leds for the cluster and the lights for your controls and warning lights?

Ebay, search for "94 smd led". Those are the ones I use for the cluster lights. The indicators are inexpensive 94 single standard LEDS. The heater controls and lights to the left are 74s I bought a 3 smd for the heater controls and the left hand warning lights are 74 standard single bulbs color matched to the position. Shift light=amber etc.

very nice, The led's in the gauge cluster is of the coolest interior mods for the money . I put blue in mine, only thing is you can't dim them.

haha, modifications are never ending, just swapped a 01+ intake manifold on mine last weekend. i try to space them out since I still drive it everyday.

You going to the auto-fair this weekend?

I like the LEDs, I had originally planned on doing it in red. I bought cheap red LEDs and it turned out a dim pink mess. I bought brighter pure white to replace them and I'm pretty pleased.

I wish I was, but my wife has laid down the law. I have to get the MJ drivable. SOON. She's tired of hauling my sorry butt around. Let me know how it turns out. :cheers: