'88 MJ Restification (lots of pictures):

Minor Junk yard score. According to my Energy Suspensions Catalog, XJ sway bars came in 23mm (like on my MJ), 24mm, 25mm and 28mm. The back is 16mm, if anybody cares. I measured the ZJs and the ones I measured were 25mm. All of the XJs were 23mm. I was about to pull one from a mid 90's ZJ and measured the one on an old 2 door XJ next to it...28mm. :thumbsup: $15 and it's mine. Pretty beefy, stock is the top one:

Stock is on the left:

BTW after the fact I was looking at the bushings and if the vehicle has stock bushings in it they have the size of the bar written on the side... :doh:

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a couple of more pieces today :clapping: Got one from Steve at smsheadliners. I found him while I was digging through some old posts. He sells a complete MJ headliner with the panel, which is great for me cause my panel was unusable. Even includes enough extra material for the visors. Not OE, but pretty nice :

Got my sway bar painted & ready to install. Picked up a set of Energy Suspensions' 28mm greasable poly bushings off Ebay for just over $20 shipped. :thumbsup: Bushing:

I'm going to use my RE end-links when I install it:

this is a sweet build.

I could use a steering column and an old crappy bench seat. Do you know where I could get a deal on those?

Did I see you are in Winston Salem?

Thanks, yeah I'm in W-S. I have all the stuff you need, as well as some bucket seats and most of the tan interior. If you take it all you can have it for a 12 pack of Miller Lite.

:cheers: Jeff

would it all fit in the back of my trailblazer? my Comanche isn't ready to make a trip that long yet.

That may be a tight squeeze, you can take what you need or want. I was kidding about the beer, whatever you take will help me out. PM me and I'll send you my email address etc.

It is really coming along nicely. :popcorn:

I was curious what your impression was of your new carpet? Does it feel as thick and of the same quality as your OEM? Was it the same quality pile? My carpet is wore. I would rate it at about a 6 on a 10 point scale. The problem is since it is black, it LOOKS like a 9. But I know it is really only a 6.

It is really coming along nicely. :popcorn:

I was curious what your impression was of your new carpet? Does it feel as thick and of the same quality as your OEM? Was it the same quality pile? My carpet is wore. I would rate it at about a 6 on a 10 point scale. The problem is since it is black, it LOOKS like a 9. But I know it is really only a 6.

It's the same texture as the factory stuff. There's not as much backing as the factory, but even just stuck in there I think looks pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...
BILSTIEN, BILSTIEN, BILSTIEN!! Did I mention Bilstein make a great shock? CW

CW may have said something about Bilsteins... :dunno:... Lucked up and picked up 2 from a guy on a local forum. New and never installed, $135...

...and the parts pile continues to grow.

looking good, great find on the shocks. Those things are expensive. but quality comes at a price. What lift is that, how much, and what do you plan on doing in the rear soa?

It's the front portion of my 3.5" Rubicon Express kit from my XJ, I'm staying with the SUA on the rear (8.25 w/3.55's) and run HellCreek 4.5 leaf packs and Bilstein 5100's or 5150s.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems the few days I've had off in the past couple of weeks have been the only rainy ones. I've pretty much got all of my front end pieces together. The only thing I haven't gotten yet are the spindles/hubs. I haven't decided if I'm going to run cast or composite rotors yet.

I did finish cleaning up my '99 D30. I think with all the rainy days I may have went overboard. I'm a big fan of before and after pics, so here's a pic before it ever went into anything...:

...and after...:

...I had my brother in law re-weld the drivers side upper bushing mounts, the lower control arm mounts and a few other places that looked a little rough. I installed new upper control arm bushings...:

...Repainted my Alloy USA diff cover and found some stainless button heads to hold it on...:

...The poly bushings on top of the spring perches along with the poly stock replacement bushings are going to give me about 2 3/4" of total bump stop...:

...I'm also reusing the axle tube seals I installed when the diff was in my XJ...:

The bolts for the spring hold downs were stripped so I tapped them out to 3/8 and got a little inventive...:

The last of the parts for the pile came in today, JKS goodies...:

Hopefully I'm going to start putting it back together Sunday or Monday, again weather permitting.

:cheers: Jeff

what are you using for paint?, looks really good. going to be a show truck when its all said and done.

good luck with the allen heads hope you don't strip one out come fluid change time, you will be cussing youself for that choice.