'88 MJ Restification (lots of pictures):

More splices and repairs...

Removed and cleaned the intake and throttle body...

Took about 2 hours to clean the crudded up throttle body...

Accel goodies installed...

I love Ebay. 8mm Accel Super Stock wires-$14.99.:thumbsup:

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got in my head I wanted a cone style air filter. Instead of getting my brother in law to fab one up I broke down and ordered one from Rustys. Not exactly as pictured on their wed site...

I ordered a lift kit from Rustys a long time ago, and the lift and service were pretty good, but this time they broke it off in me on shipping. $18 :mad:, Whatever, live and learn. Picked up a AFE filter off Ebay for $20 shipped. So I'm into the whole thing for $68.

Test fit, not too bad...

Checking the injector harness out and replacing a couple of broken connectors...

Found another one of those famous Renix duct tape splice/connectors at the back of the harness...

97+ Valve cover test fit...

The old cover had a small leak at the rear corner. This should take care of all but the last leak at the filter housing and upgrade the PCV system as well...

Ford injectors, the old #1 injector was leaking...

Taylor engine to firewall ground strap...

Installed...

A little gift from the PO...

Ford injectors and fuel rail installed...

Also used an HO injector harness to replace the flex conduit...

Still need to do the vacuum lines...

I'm about 90% done on the lighting and underhood wiring as of now. Still need to redo the cooling system and few more details under the hood to finish up. Then back the the headliner...

Since my old headliner was ruined, I had to start from scratch. I found this guy that "remolded" (his word) the backer boards and then covered them in any color fabric you want. $100 shipped. Fair enough I thought that will save me some time and when I get it I'll just toss it in. While it looked good out of the box, and I followed his directions for installation it now resides at the dump. Poor fitment, misaligned holes blah blah blah. So I posted a WTB in a local forum to find an old factory backer, this is the first $20 backer...

My son picked it up for me, and it is even uglier in person. It's unusable without major work and there is a least an inch and a half missing off the bottom edge. I went to the pull a part on the other side of town to pick up some nuts and bolts and scrounge around. Seems they had just gotten an '88 long box in that had been hit in the drivers door.

The headliner was in great shape just dirty. So here's the second $20 headliner...

I'm going to pick up some fabric and glue this weekend, and hopefully this will be the end of the headliner ordeal.

I yanked the radiator and remaining hoses tonight. I also flushed the block and heater core. The stock radiator is toast, no big surprise...

Water pump and lower radiator hose are both OE and will be replaced. Upgrades will include T-stat and late model electric fan.

Little update. Been working on the front of the motor, noticed a glob of RTV where one of the water pump bolts was supposed to be and discovered another PO gift...

Much later the broken bolt is removed and the grime washed away...

Ready for paint...

Thermostat, housing and gasket installed along with the power steering bracket I painted Cast Coat Aluminum. The Housing and water pump I clear coated.

Alternator brackets...

Overall...

Keep up the good work! I love checking in on this thread.

What brand water pump did you go with? Looks like a quality unit...

- Brent

Thanks. It's a new AutoZone lifetime warranty pump. Yeah I know AutoZone :nuts: , but I;ve had good luck with their pumps. The last one I installed on my '92 XJ lasted almost 8 years.

I like the detail, inspiration and it's nice to see someone who's crazy enough to go the extra mile to make it look nice.

Thanks, but isn't that part of the Wikipedia definition for anal retentive?

j/k :cheers:

Got my PS hoses in today. I had a small leak at both the pressure and return fittings on the box, and I wanted replace both of them. The pressure line wasn't an issue but the return line was out of stock. So for $10 more I decided I'd put a PS cooler in...

Probably worthless, but it is a higher ration ZJ box...at least that's the excuse I gave the wife. Lines run through the old air box hole. There's about a 1/4 inch of clearance between them and the lower radiator hose...

Installed and painted (of course). I had to pull the grill to finish pulling the wires for the Hellas, so it wasn't a total waste of time.

Small progress, I picked this up Weds. Napa fan clutch for 97-98 ZJ...

It's roughly the same size as the one on my '00 XJ, but next to the stock MJ clutch it looks massive. Front...

Rear view...