'88 MJ Restification (lots of pictures):

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good Jeff. I just picked up a TJ too, but yours appears to be in much better shape than mine. Guessing by the wheels and the mirrors, I'd say its a 2003?

Thanks. Good call it is an '03.

• 2 weeks later...

I got tired of looking at the center vent pointed at the floor, so after installing my head unit I pulled all of them out. This piece of felt and one on the opposite side are all that hold the vent in position and deteriorate after time.

Not felt tape, but the loop side of some HD Velcro is pretty close. $2 at Home Depot.

Old felt tape cleaned away...

and same size Velcro size in it's place.

and no more floppy vents.

Vents now work as designed. Quick and cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

"Country

104.1 MHz

Beer"

And working on the Jeep...Could it get any better? :thumbsup:

"Country

104.1 MHz

Beer"

And working on the Jeep...Could it get any better? :thumbsup:

Nope, but I'm sure it would get done faster.

• 1 month later...

The biggest news to date is I've found someone to do the paint and body. Tenative start date for him is in 3 weeks. My goal is to have this thing 100% drivable and 100% done before the end of (this) summer.

• 1 month later...

I just took the time to sit and read the ENTIRE thread. I am both proudly astonished, yet disappointed in myself for putting every single one of these project ideas into my head. Awesome build, rig, and write ups. I'll be coming back to this thread often for information and upgrades for my comanche

• 3 weeks later...

I just took the time to sit and read the ENTIRE thread. I am both proudly astonished, yet disappointed in myself for putting every single one of these project ideas into my head. Awesome build, rig, and write ups. I'll be coming back to this thread often for information and upgrades for my comanche

I got most of my upgrade ideas right here. I appreciate the time you took to read through all this, hopefully she will be finished soon.

• 2 months later...

It's alive. First time the MJ has ran since I went down for major surgery 2 1/2 years ago.

Did find a few items that need attention. Headlight switch is crap, have to wiggle it to make it work, the front brake calipers are stuck and most annoyingly the T-stat housing. Word of advice, stay away from the aftermarket housings this is the second one I've bought and they all leak. Go used or new Mopar.

• 2 months later...

Replaced the front calipers and rotors this past weekend. When I started to bleed them I discovered the main source of my brake problems. ..these pos braided lines I bought from PORC. The left front is completely collapsed and the right front and rear are both partially collapsed as well. Junk.

Ok, I'm subscribed to this thread...

You're MJ is one of the cleanest and most well put together I think I've seen in a long time.  Take pride in your work sir because you have fully captivated my attention.  I don't think I've ever been so excited about an MJ until tonight hahaha. :bowdown: :drool:

Last week I went to a different pull a part across town, and they had a few MJ's. This one I didn't understand. I was told the head gasket was blown and the guy drove to the yard. It's a 4.0/auto and the body was about 90% straight. There are a few accessory miscues (like the grab handles :shake: , but it has sound floor boards, a decent and complete gray interior, good tail lights and a repairable tail gate. Shame.

did you ask the guy if he'd sell the whole thing? windshield says 278k, so seems like it'd be perfect to get the whole thing and swap a new motor in. :brows:

I asked if he thought about selling it and he said 'it'll make more money sitting where it's at'.

Should ask him how much if he strips most of the parts? That's if the body's good I'd do a 97 swap

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...