'88 MJ Restification (lots of pictures):

OOH, purdy parts...... :bowdown: jamminz.gif :bowdown: jamminz.gif :bowdown: jamminz.gif :roll:

purdy is good :clapping:

what are you using for paint?, looks really good. going to be a show truck when its all said and done.

good luck with the allen heads hope you don't strip one out come fluid change time, you will be cussing youself for that choice.

It's Krylon Engine Enamel Semi-Gloss Black. I deal with Allen heads at work everyday, I kinda like 'em. :nuts:

With everything nice and shiny and painted and purty, gonna park it in the living room under glass??? ;)

thought about it, but the wife says red will clash with the sofa... :rant:

Looks great!

Thanks.

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a break in the rain yesterday and went to the pull apart. I found some '93 spindles but even with a four foot pipe on my long handled 1/2 drive ratchet I couldn't break the axle nut loose. :mad:

I still managed to score some skids, though. I got the one for the front and the one for the t-case for $8.99. I tried to tell the lady she priced them wrong, but she wouldn't hear it. Oh well:

I'm never mentioning the weather in here again, every time I do it turns out cold and rainy. So after two weeks of pre-assembling of parts I finally got to put something back on the MJ. Actually made a little progress today. I pulled the oil pan and repainted it last week, and I finally got to button that up today:

I'd bought a '98 ZJ steering box last month and installed it today w/ the stock pitman arm:

My son, Jake and I hung the D30 and the LCAs, he had classes this afternoon so I was on my own after that:

I managed the UCAs, bumpstops,...:

...springs,...:

...swaybar and endlinks.:

Total progress:

Pretty productive day, IMHO. I didn't get my shocks installed because I'm missing the sleeves for the upper bushings. I'll go looking for them tomorrow. Last look:

:cheers: Jeff

Looking wonderfull. Are the spindles just for newer style calipers or are their other diffrences?

Does the ZJ steering box bolt up the same and whats the advantage?

Now all you need is a zj 5.9l to put in it. :)

Me and my brother got alot done in the last 2 days he had fall break from uncc,

getting closer and closer to cranking it up.

pull a part is awsome, down in charlotte if you say paying with cash they will give you a deal because they will pocket the money and not have to claim it that way. haha

Looking wonderfull. Are the spindles just for newer style calipers or are their other diffrences?

Does the ZJ steering box bolt up the same and whats the advantage?

Now all you need is a zj 5.9l to put in it. :)

Me and my brother got alot done in the last 2 days he had fall break from uncc,

getting closer and closer to cranking it up.

pull a part is awsome, down in charlotte if you say paying with cash they will give you a deal because they will pocket the money and not have to claim it that way. haha

I'd like to hit that pull a part. They have a little newer stuff than we do up here,

I want to get away from the older style calipers and rotors. Looking for late 90-early 99. Lots of options there, and new parts are pretty inexpensive.

The ZJ box has a quicker ratio than the stock MJ/XJ box. I may be wrong on the numbers but I think the XJ is 14.1:1 and the ZJ is 12.6:1. Plus it a '97 box at the pull a part was about $23. :thumbsup:

I got a break in the rain yesterday and went to the pull apart. I found some '93 spindles but even with a four foot pipe on my long handled 1/2 drive ratchet I couldn't break the axle nut loose. :mad:

If you are just trying to get the outer knuckle it is not necessary to remove that nut from the axle shaft. You can remove the three bolts holding the unit bearing on and remove the axle shaft and unit bearing as one. You may want to take a sledge hammer so that you can beat on the ears of the unit bearing assembly to break it loose from the knuckle. Years of rust will prevent it from wanting to separate. I always use plenty of anti-sieze on the unit bearing to knuckle mating surfaces when I put them back together.

Willy

WOW good work :cheers: wish my junk could turn out that nice lookin

Thanks, I got kind of a head start, a lot of what you see was on my XJ.

:clapping: very nice very nice jamminz.gif Do you have steel break lines? and are you using those stock holders for the springs? or are you going to get limiting straps? but i like those bilsteins shocks how much did those run you'? :wavey:

I'm going to run new TJ lines, they've worked well on my other stuff. I'm using the stock spring hold downs drilled and tapped to 3/8". I got the Bilsteins off a local forum, $135 for both new and in the boxes.

If you are just trying to get the outer knuckle it is not necessary to remove that nut from the axle shaft. You can remove the three bolts holding the unit bearing on and remove the axle shaft and unit bearing as one. You may want to take a sledge hammer so that you can beat on the ears of the unit bearing assembly to break it loose from the knuckle. Years of rust will prevent it from wanting to separate. I always use plenty of anti-sieze on the unit bearing to knuckle mating surfaces when I put them back together.

Willy

Thanks, I'll try that Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my steering, knuckles and axles installed today. A few random shots, right:

Right:

Left:

Left:

Front:

Pitman arm:

Again, thanks for the encouragement and compliments,

:cheers: Jeff