'88 MJ Restification (lots of pictures):

The interior colors I'm coping from an '89 XJ Limited that I robbed the door panels out of. That Limited was the only one I've seen like it:

I really like the colors of the interior! They look freakin sweet together! jamminz.gif Did you get the dash from the 89 XJ as well or paint yours? What are you going to do with the seats? Black? Black with Blue Vinyl? :brows: :popcorn:

The upper portion of the dash came out of a '91, it's the same color as the Limited. It's the medium gray color that's in most of them (the same as the top of the door panels), and the same as the horn button in my avatar.

The lower portion of the dash in the Limited was all hacked up so I used the '96 panel I had after I hit it with some Fusion Satin Black. Something I didn't realize at first is the '96's don't have that little crotch vent (the one below the steering column) in them :???: guess they finally realized how useless they were.

The carpet, headliner, visors and remaining plastics will black. I dropped the seat off and the guy told me he wouldn't be able to start on it till this coming Monday. Since dropping it off I've called back and changed the colors twice the first time was all vinyl Black and the medium gray with the medium gray in the middle sections with 3" horizontal pleats. Then I changed it to black vinyl with pleated black cloth in the center sections. I called today and the guy said had till 12 tomorrow to make up my mind cause that's when he's gonna start cutting the materials. :hmm: Can't make up my mind...

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can you get me some rear flares from one of those wrecked comanches and post them to aussie for me so i can finsh my rebuild we havent got any over here and mines the only shortbed here so parts are rare as rocking horse $#!& PM me so we can sort out payment that would be great

can you get me some rear flares from one of those wrecked comanches and post them to aussie for me so i can finsh my rebuild we havent got any over here and mines the only shortbed here so parts are rare as rocking horse poo PM me so we can sort out payment that would be great

let me know which one you're looking at, and PM me your postal code.

Nice Job on your build. I really like what you did with you t-case shifter.

Thanks, you too. Great info in your build thread, I would have liked to scored your old bench seat, if you were a little closer.

Picked up the seat today. Just need to clean up the seat rails and dye the hinge covers. I went with black vinyl and black cloth, I didn't care much for the factory pattern so I had him go a little different. I like it:

Nice!! :eek: That looks way comfy. I like the pattern on it, and the headrests. I wish mine had headrests :brows:

Are you getting new carpet for the floor or go with the vinyl?

Man that seat looks good! How much that set you back, if you don't mind me asking?

My old bench didn't have headrests either, and I definitely wanted head rests. I stumbled on this one on Craigslist. I haven't decided on the flooring yet, but I'm leaning toward carpet. The seat recovered and the foam build up for the bottom was $375. More than I was really planning to spend, but I got an offer for my ARB bumper and figured what the hell. :brows:

I'd planned on using my ARB from my '00 XJ, and change out the front sheet metal. The more I look at it the better I like the older sheet metal and I really didn't want to drag that 150 lb+ bumper around any more.

I bought the bumper and installed it on my XJ, and less than 2 weeks later a guy in an '07 Nissan Frontier, pulled directly out in front of me:

I figured the bumper was toast. His damage:

My damage ;) :

Those aren't dents, they're paint scuffs. That was it. No tweaks, bends or anything. Just the scuffs.

Long story short, I bought the bumper for $425, his insurance company paid me $380 to have it repainted (cost $7) and I resold it for $400. I like the protection and the looks of it, but it pushes the front end down a good 2" and it's not something I really need or want on a DD/Tow truck.

Very nice dude. If my bench had looked like that It'd still be in the truck. Thats the best MJ bench I've ever seen. :bowdown:

Thanks, I think the guy did a good job on it. I plan on this one being around a while and decided to splurge on it.

Nice work on that interior. I have a red comanche with black interior and always thought it would be nice to have the tan interior. When I saw that you were changing it, I was a little suprised. But i must admit the gray is much improved over the tan.

By the way, would you mind posting a pic of your front bumper? That is impressive what you did to that nissan.

Nice work on that interior. I have a red comanche with black interior and always thought it would be nice to have the tan interior. When I saw that you were changing it, I was a little suprised. But i must admit the gray is much improved over the tan.

By the way, would you mind posting a pic of your front bumper? That is impressive what you did to that nissan.

Most of my interior pieces were either broken or scuffed up, and the tan was impossible to find around here.

The XJ:

Started the front suspension and axle today, you can see where I pulled the old Pioneer stripe off last week. Out with the old:

Pretty bare:

Tweaked a little:

The old Vacuum Disconnect fights back:

:cheers:

Jeff

Hey, I think ill take my seat back now. It looks awsome. and thanks for the compliment on weighing less that 300lbs :)

funny thing is i was reading this whole post page by page and came upon page 7 and was like hey, that looks like my own bench seat, holy crap it is! your interior is really coming along love the 2 tone black and gray.

Hey, I think ill take my seat back now. It looks awsome. and thanks for the compliment on weighing less that 300lbs :)

funny thing is i was reading this whole post page by page and came upon page 7 and was like hey, that looks like my own bench seat, holy crap it is! your interior is really coming along love the 2 tone black and gray.

Small world, right? Welcome aboard.

Since it was easy to access I decided to redo my repair to the damage from the old clutch master cylinder leak. This is what I had to start with:

I pressure washed all the old undercoating off, wire brushed the gummy body sealant off and ground down the rusty metal:

Two coats of rusty metal primer, and tomorrow night I'll reapply the body sealant over the holes. After that dries I'll touch up the inside. Believe it or not this is the worst rust I have:

Got a big box from UPS today :clapping: :

:cheers:

Jeff