what did you do to your MJ today?

JeepcoMJ

On 9/24/2018 at 7:39 PM, Minuit said:

Also pumped the gas out of it in preparation to fix the gas gauge... for real this time.

This is my true enemy, over the years having my comanche it is the one thing I hate not working properly more than anything else.

I have always loved repurposing items and found a coffee container can be quite the cold air intake element housing(figured my 2.5l could use a little pick me up). This is just an idea right now but I will be making it a reality soon!

20180927_164307.jpg

I have always loved repurposing items and found a coffee container can be quite the cold air intake element housing(figured my 2.5l could use a little pick me up). This is just an idea right now but I will be making it a reality soon!

Oh, please don't!
I can give you other options, far better options, and actually be cold air.

To be honest, a newer XJ style intake tube & filter housing is the simplest option. The OE Jeep intake tube & filter housings flow as good as any aftermarket you can get.
The restriction is at the throttle body, so unless you upgrade that, your not going to get any more than the limit of cubic foot per minute that can flow through the throttle body.

2 hours ago, GreasemonkeySC said:

The restriction is at the throttle body, so unless you upgrade that, your not going to get any more than the limit of cubic foot per minute that can flow through the throttle body.

Yes the throttle body is one spot, then the  accordion style hose to throttle body, all hard bends from crappy air boxes with tiny restricted air passageways. Thanks, my jeep and I will do as I please.

Yes the throttle body is one spot, then the  accordion style hose to throttle body, all hard bends from crappy air boxes with tiny restricted air passageways. Thanks, my jeep and I will do as I please.
Just trying to help, not trying to tell you what to do. Cobble together whatever hot air sucking $#!& box you please!

We're here to help each other, and bounce ideas off each other.
I was merely trying to share some knowledge from years of experience, and actual flow testing of aftermarket & OE intakes. Actual life experience, not YouTube, or Google.
But WTF do I know after doing performance work for years, and retiring as an Auto. Tech. after 25yrs.

The pic you show appeared to be a metal intake tube. (Notoriously high heat soak.) The plastic coffee can air filter housing I can only assume is open on the end, or bottom. (Pulling engine compartment air is as far from cold air as you'll get! Average temp is well over 100°F every in cool weather.)

You claim the OE intakes on later models have tiny tubes, hard bends, and restricted airways.
(The or intake tube is far from perfect, but it's as I stated.... matching the flow rate of the OE throttle body's limits.)

You can put a good high flow dry filter in an OE air box, with OE tube, wrap the tube with hood insulation, add a section of tube to the air box, and route it into the void between the fender, and wheel well.
You will get actual cool air, from the outside, and at the max flow rate for the OE throttle body.
I'm fairly sure your not going to engineer an intake beyond the limitations of physics using a plastic coffee can.

15 minutes ago, GreasemonkeySC said:

Just trying to help, not trying to tell you what to do. Cobble together whatever hot air sucking $#!& box you please!

We're here to help each other, and bounce ideas off each other.
I was merely trying to share some knowledge from years of experience, and actual flow testing of aftermarket & OE intakes. Actual life experience, not YouTube, or Google.
But WTF do I know after doing performance work for years, and retiring as an Auto. Tech. after 25yrs.

The pic you show appeared to be a metal intake tube. (Notoriously high heat soak.) The plastic coffee can air filter housing I can only assume is open on the end, or bottom. (Pulling engine compartment air is as far from cold air as you'll get! Average temp is well over 100°F every in cool weather.)
You can put a good high flow dry filter in an OE air box, with OE tube, wrap the tube with hood insulation, add a section of tube to the air box, and route it into the void between the fender, and wheel well.

You are obvious upset, sorry. $#!& Box, not very nice Sir, not very jeeper like at all. Pulling your dress up to show me how big your balls isn't going to really make me care take you serious either. What gives you the right to assume you are so much smarter than someone else, do you know everyone life experiences and what knowledge they hold. Sorry again,Take a deep breath, as I said in my 1st post about this

23 hours ago, Me&my86MJ said:

This is just an idea right now

You got all this exp then give guidance not Grief. 

My intake tube is plastics but has a 4 inch metal coupler between it and filter itself. Alls i did was mock up that picture. I have and have had a cone filter direct inline of factory intake air hole, for a number of years with no box, air damm, or anything protecting it from heat,dirt,and moisture. So wouldn't some sort housing for filter element be better than non at all?

I mean hey what would I know anyhow I am just a knuckle dragging Certified wrench turning baby bouncing jeeper 😂  just a rollin on a creeper

You are obvious upset, sorry. $#!& Box, not very nice Sir, not very jeeper like at all. Pulling your dress up to show me how big your balls isn't going to really make me care take you serious either. What gives you the right to assume you are so much smarter than someone else, do you know everyone life experiences and what knowledge they hold. Sorry again,Take a deep breath, as I said in my 1st post about this

You got all this exp then give guidance not Grief. 

My intake tube is plastics but has a 4 inch metal coupler between it and filter itself. Alls i did was mock up that picture. I have and have had a cone filter direct inline of factory intake air hole, for a number of years with no box, air damm, or anything protecting it from heat,dirt,and moisture. So wouldn't some sort housing for filter element be better than non at all?

I mean hey what would I know anyhow I am just a knuckle dragging Certified wrench turning baby bouncing jeeper  just a rollin on a creeper

I'm far from upset, were just holding a conversation.

$#!& box is a technical term. I though you were a certified wrench turner?

I've not given you a glimpse of my balls! I'm not sure you would be the same afterwards.

I don't assume to know more than you, or know your life, as I can only attest to my own. I bet you got a bunch of papers to prove your smarter than me, and that's ok I make stupid work for me.

I wasnt giving greif but guidance. Like my first post to you.......I only told you that I could give you several options that were better than what was pictured. I gave an example, and expanded upon that in my second post to you.

Your intake being open, or housed is up to you. I can give you an opinion on what's better for what you do with it, but that's not where we're at.
You stated that the pic was going to be a cold air intake. I just pointed out that it's in no way a cold air intake if it's pulling air from the engine compartment. It also isn't optimal to use metal in the intake, but I have some in my TJ due to necessity of location. In fact my TJ is rolling around with a bunch of the plastic flex tube from the mock up I did, and a year later haven't had the silicone tubes bent.

I'm going to say that coffee can is hilarious, and if done right is probably better isolated from the engine bay than the K&N filter "box" that came with my ZJ. 

I'll also point out that in "very cool weather" I've still had antifreeze slushed in my coolant overflow, despite having just driven about 20 miles. I have trouble believing it was "well above 100°F" in there.

Given how much janky garbage we've seen people do that they deemed perfectly acceptable, I like the coffee can. It's not going to take away from the driving experience or road safety any more than no-season no-traction Walmart Wranglers, or green dash lights that reduce your visibility... 

Everyone has they own taste. The coffee can is great; I say keep it. :L:

I'm going to say that coffee can is hilarious, and if done right is probably better isolated from the engine bay than the K&N filter "box" that came with my ZJ. 

I'll also point out that in "very cool weather" I've still had antifreeze slushed in my coolant overflow, despite having just driven about 20 miles. I have trouble believing it was "well above 100°F" in there.

Given how much janky garbage we've seen people do that they deemed perfectly acceptable, I like the coffee can. It's not going to take away from the driving experience or road safety any more than no-season no-traction Walmart Wranglers, or green dash lights that reduce your visibility... 

Everyone has they own taste. The coffee can is great; I say keep it. :L:

I absolutely agree that the coffee can is better than nothing as a barrier to reduce moisture, dirt, or damage,but that's not what the original post was about. It was about a cold air intake. I was trying to give him some options that would give him actual cool air, and improve performance.

That's not cool weather, that's freezing. So no I don't imagine the under hood temp wouldn't be terribly high in freezing weather.
I guess I should have been more specific. Cool is a subjective term to define.

BTW: My Walmart wranglers are perfect for a daily driver that will see nothing more than a little rain. If I need traction, there's a YJ, 2 TJs, and a JKU in the driveway.
You should try the Green LED dash lights. They are far more easily seen at night, but not blinding.

"far more easily seen at night" means they're taking away from your outward visibility. 

Daily drivers should be better able to grip the road, not less good. Those four tiny patches of rubber are the only thing holding you on the road. My daily driver is on adequate rubber, not the minimum acceptable.

All I'm saying is you're not on very firm grounds to be criticizing what other people do, and then you repeatedly defend the criticism.

Am I the only one here who doesn't have a problem seeing the stock dash lights at night? I think having them glowing some bright color would take away from my night vision way more than it would help me see the gauges.

I've done my time with cheap tires. Never again. The amount of cars I see on the road with those crappy bottom of the barrel Chinese tires on them makes me more than a little nervous. Not to mention the ticking time bombs that like to "get their money's worth" out of their tires and run them till the cords show.

"far more easily seen at night" means they're taking away from your outward visibility. 
Daily drivers should be better able to grip the road, not less good. Those four tiny patches of rubber are the only thing holding you on the road. My daily driver is on adequate rubber, not the minimum acceptable.
All I'm saying is you're not on very firm grounds to be criticizing what other people do, and then you repeatedly defend the criticism.

The green down take away from my outward visibility. It's the opposite for me. The white OE light was so dim I had to do more than glance down to see what my gauge were reading. White LEDs were to bright, when I looked at a set in a buddy's XJ before I did my LED swap. The green only gives a glow, and doesn't illuminate the entire cabin as the white. It's bright enough for me to see, but not distracting, or taking away from my vision.

I don't have any traction issues in my truck with the Walmart wranglers. It holds the road just fine, and as I said...... If I need something with more traction I'll drive one of the 4x4s.
Your assessment of minimal or adequate tire contact area is subjective at best.

I didn't criticize him to begin with, but your doing a bang up job of criticizeing my choices!
I tried to offer up better options for what he was trying to achieve based on what he posted. I'm sorry if it read badly, but it is the internet, and it's easy to mistake the tone as you read something.
I might have made a smart @$$ comment about a $#!& box, but I was never nasty about anything.

I've not defended anything other than the only example I gave him of an actual cold air intake! Oh and defend myself against your claims of knowing the brightness level of my gauge cluster, and the road manners of my truck.

Am I the only one here who doesn't have a problem seeing the stock dash lights at night? I think having them glowing some bright color would take away from my night vision way more than it would help me see the gauges.

I've done my time with cheap tires. Never again. The amount of cars I see on the road with those crappy bottom of the barrel Chinese tires on them makes me more than a little nervous. Not to mention the ticking time bombs that like to "get their money's worth" out of their tires and run them till the cords show.
Your eyes must be far better at focus from far to near than mine!

I've never had any big issues with Wranglers. I've only ever had Uniroyal laredo's blow out repeatedly.
I daily drive my MJ, but that's an average of 6-8mi daily. I don't run the interstate much, and when I do it's usually 4-5mi. Heavy rain, snow, flooding, mud, dirt...... is all done in one of the other Jeeps with far better tires.
Oh, and I toss tires at roughly half tread.

So let me just clear it all up, and squash it!

Me&my86MJ

I apologise if I offended you, or you felt degraded by my comments. I in no way meant for you to feel judged, or that this wasn't a safe space. I'll refrain from offering my opinion or information to you unless you ask.

Sincerely

Greasemonkey

Can we all sing Kumbaya & hug now?

1 hour ago, GreasemonkeySC said:

Your eyes must be far better at focus from far to near than mine!

I've never had any big issues with Wranglers. I've only ever had Uniroyal laredo's blow out repeatedly.
I daily drive my MJ, but that's an average of 6-8mi daily. I don't run the interstate much, and when I do it's usually 4-5mi. Heavy rain, snow, flooding, mud, dirt...... is all done in one of the other Jeeps with far better tires.
Oh, and I toss tires at roughly half tread.

I don't know. I've just never had trouble seeing the gauges at night, and I usually dim them once my eyes are adjusted. Never have to do any more than glance at the gauges to see them perfectly. I'm slightly far-sighted - maybe that helps? Dunno.

That comment about tires wasn't aimed at you and I didn't mean to chastise your tire choice. I had a set of the previous generation Wranglers on my truck for a while and while I thought they were kinda loud and not really excellent at anything in particular, I have to say they got the job done. The Michelins I run these days have better wet traction and run quieter, but they are 235s instead of 215s.

I don't know. I've just never had trouble seeing the gauges at night, and I usually dim them once my eyes are adjusted. Never have to do any more than glance at the gauges to see them perfectly. I'm slightly far-sighted - maybe that helps? Dunno.

That comment about tires wasn't aimed at you and I didn't mean to chastise your tire choice. I had a set of the previous generation Wranglers on my truck for a while and while I thought they were kinda loud and not really excellent at anything in particular, I have to say they got the job done. The Michelins I run these days have better wet traction and run quieter, but they are 235s instead of 215s.
The OE lights in the cluster just didn't light up the gauge very well for me. The green color is easy on my eyes. I used a dark red in my 03 TJ, and dark purple in the wife's JKU. The 94, and 01 wrangles will both get green as soon as I get to them.

Oh yeah, a 215 is skinny for an MJ in my opinion. That's what was on mine when I got it. 215\55R15 highway tread.
I put 235\75s on it within a week or so. Much better, and fixed my speedo.

20 minutes ago, shrapneltyphoon said:

Prayed to the Lord the vacuum lines would come off in one piece...he answered by making sure vacuum t broke instead -_- waiting for Napa to open.  

I guess he's not a Jeeper.   :sad: