Do people STARE at your MJ on the road?

88XJSport

I have always wondered this, since I don't have an MJ.

Ever be driving along, and notice the person in the car next to you looking at your MJ or the badge on the fender with the look on their face like "WTF is a Comanche????"

Since they made only 70 or so thousand of them, I'm sure some people have never seen or remember seeing an MJ before.

Any stories of this? Or any stories of people flagging you down (IE gas station) to ask you questions about it?

Just curious.

I have always wondered this, since I don't have an MJ.

Ever be driving along, and notice the person in the car next to you looking at your MJ or the badge on the fender with the look on their face like "WTF is a Comanche????"

Since they made only 70 or so thousand of them, I'm sure some people have never seen or remember seeing an MJ before.

Any stories of this? Or any stories of people flagging you down (IE gas station) to ask you questions about it?

Just curious.

what badges? :P

and there's more than 70,000 of them made. someone posted "supposed" production numbers on 4wd models only, and those alone exceeded 70,000. I'd say double that number to encompass all comanches produced.

but yes, people stare.

now, imagine you're in an old POS MJ, just gettin out of it at the parts store to see a few guys walk up and go "is that a diesel?". man the old smoker sure gets attention...:D

Since the only time I've driven my MJ is across town after I bought it, I don't know if people stare.

But I know that I sure stare when I see an MJ ... I very very rarely see one on the roads.

Occasionally I see one in a parking lot, but thats about it.

XJs on the other hand ..... its like every third car is an XJ.

Driving back up to college last weekend I had lots of people stare at my truck as I saw them on the freeway. Lots of people seem to like it and give me a thumbs up when they are getting passed or pass me...

The trucks sure are an attention getter no matter where you go. I think its because they represent another era to lots of people...

Just curious.

I don't know about staring, but I just had my windshield replaced and when I talked to the rep to set up the appointment she said "I didn't know Jeep made a pickup". This is a large, nationwide company (Safelite) and I was talking to their central appointment center in Ohio (I'm in California).

I get alot of looks and stares, mostly from cherokee drivers. I had a guy in a fullsize ford next to me at a light ask me what kind of truck that was (he didnt ever remember seeing a "cherokee pickup" I said not cherokee comanche. Another lady stopped me in the walmart parking lot and said she has seen my Jeep around town and commented on the condition of the body and, she couldnt believe the pioneer stripes where factory. Two different ppl at my work want to buy my 86' thats not even running. I have had 3 different offers to buy my DD. I say NEVER!

Just curious.

I don't know about staring, but I just had my windshield replaced and when I talked to the rep to set up the appointment she said "I didn't know Jeep made a pickup". This is a large, nationwide company (Safelite) and I was talking to their central appointment center in Ohio (I'm in California).

Mike that exact same thing happened to me last summer with safelite! I don't think California folks appreciate these trucks as much as folks from other States. We have an Air Force base near us (Travis AFB) and most of the interest, questions and comments I get about my truck is from folks stationed there.

Last Labor Day I was driving back from the midwest in the Comanche and in numerous places, people were taking pictures of my little daily driver. I know they are not common, but still not rare.

And I thought I did not get out much!

I did have a nice chat with a guy about 70 in Ohio who had a sweet FC 170 all cherried out and was using the huricane 6 in it. He had done all of his own work and I thought that was pretty impressive. Now that was rare.

I get some looks but there alot of comanches down river here but i talked to a guy in meijer parking lot in southgate for like 20mins talking about comanches and how he had on for his first truck

I was eyeing your MJ on craigslist a few weeks ago......

I get lots of looks and even have people stop and talk to me about it or anything offroad related. I have even had soccer moms pull along side on two occasions and comment on my "balls"!! I never invisioned the MJ as a chick magnet...

I'm an ol' married dude anyhow. :roll: :roll:

CW

My 88 got alot of looks but I'm pretty sure it got alot of laughs too. The only comment I ever got was I hope you didn't pay much for it. My 87 gets alot of looks cause it sounds ridiculous. One guy offered my dad $2000 for my sport truck when he borrowed it.

Yeah, I get it a lot. Guys come out when I stop somewhere and say "Damn, I used to have one of those (or my father had one of those) but I (he) wrecked it." :eek: That's happened many times. Even today I was headed north toward Huntsville cruisin' along about 65 when I spotted an red MJ coming up fast behind me. Then we hit a long grade about 1/4 mile long, and I cranked my rig up to 80 and saw him fall back like a stone. Got to the top and pulled over, and he comes huffin' and puffin' up the hill, pulls in and screams "Dayem! WTF you got in that thing?" :D He had a real nice 89 SWB w. the 2.5L and AW-4. Original owner too. I told him about the ComancheClub, Hesco, etc. We may have a new member soon.......

i had one guy ask me at the gas station,

"hey man, did you like... take a cherokee and put a bed on it? thats sweet man. nice work"

haha, i get that all the time as well. people will come up to me asking if Jeep ever made a Comanche, or if its just a custom truck.

I was coming off the highway once, sitting at a yield sign and a Toyota drive by. I could tell it had a few inches of lift, and slightly larger tires. I saw him talking to his girlfriend, and pointing at my MJ. That made me happy 8)