Struggling for motivation, and time

Backpacker

Edit: I can not for the life of me flip my picture right side up, file shows the right way up everywhere but on CC, If anyone knows why that would happen please do let me know

Hi all! This one is a little rambly so apologies in advance. And sorry I disappeared for a little while there! I have really been struggling to find the motivation for my truck lately. I am working towards a full restoration, but I can't even seem to get myself to even work on the little stuff these past few weeks (leaning on months). My friends XJ, which is pristine and gorgeous, has kind of made me realize just how far I am from being even close to done. My truck is admittedly better off a lot of other ones out there nowadays, but it's so far from where I want it it to be (with some LARGE issues)I just struggle to even want to work on it. I still love the truck, and WANT to see it to fruition so badly, but I just can't make myself pick up the 3/8s for some reason. How do you all deal with the slumps? And does it get any easier if it's not your daily? I hope this is relatable and not looking like me being lazy, although it is certainly possible lol!

(My truck and friends rad XJ added for reference) (My truck also looks a lot worse in person, also for reference)

20231102_173718.jpg

468780324_20231102_161202(1).jpg.151a2a26aff3239f3bed8efb9d62e9e8.jpg

most all of us can relate.  big projects take big time and big effort.  I try to break it up into small projects with small goals. 

fixed your pic for ya. :L:  I've found if I upload from my laptop I can get them upright.  it all has to do with how the camera saves the orientation.  I forget the details, but from what I remember... it's complicated.  :(  

I think most folks go through that same thing.   For me, I just try to focus on one little thing at a time.  For instance, I need to replace both front inner fender liners.    I've had them for over a year, but haven't gotten to it yet.  That's next on my list though.   Once that's done I then identify what's next.   I try not to worry about what's 'next' until after I finish what I'm doing now.   Takes the stress away for me

I think that it is a lot easier to get projects done when it isn’t your daily driver. I don’t get much done on either of my projects anymore because I have to drive them all of the time, so I have a hard time taking them out of commission. 

I agree with Pete though. Try to make smaller goals that will lead up to the big goal. For example, one weekend, you could take off and paint the bumpers and grille assembly. The next weekend you could clean up the interior and replace the carpet. Most things don’t take that long on their own, but the time adds up. 

I think that we've all been there. Being a daily certainly complicates larger projects, but also prevents you from leaving it torn apart for long periods of time when you lose interest. Sometimes, I need to take a brake. Other times, going to a car show re-motivates me.  Doing a bite sized project at a time definitely an make it less overwhelming.  Sometimes splurging for that trick part  that I've been wanting helps as well.

5 minutes ago, Pete M said:

or give yourself a deadline.  nothing motivates like a deadline. :D  lots of car shows coming up this summer.  :grinyes:

Oh, that's a good one! That's pretty much the only way that I get a big project done.

What kills me is money. But knowing what parts I have and knowledge helps me get some of the other stuff done while I save up for another part. Like Chunk. I know I need some other parts but I still have stuff to do. Funny enough, I’m motivated to keep wrenching, but two factors stop me, being tired from work, and making sure my wife has attention. Oh also clearing up space keeps me motivated as I need to part all the parts on the project to have my space back haha. 

When I find myself confronting "One Big Project," I try to break it done to many smaller projects.  Then I take on one at a time.  I like to start with the smaller tasks first.  That way I can see progress and a sense of accomplishment.  For me, that sense of accomplishment is motivation to take on the next task.

Desmond Tutu once wisely said that “there is only one way to eat an elephant: a bite at a time.”

Scope creep sucks. It's hard to get around especially on things that aren't really "needed". Tough to find the motivation sometimes to accomplish things and if you got a pile of parts and project even tougher. For me personally I'm a huge fan of list and laying out all the main categories, then putting in subsets for those. From there dabble in finding things that might relate or kind of go together. So it keeps projects kind of together and a little less daunting. When you write down all the things you start to see how much has to be done and it gets discouraging, but putting those in subcategory's make it look like les . I've also learned that it's best to have all your parts prior to tearing stuff apart because that is how projects stay unfinished. Nothing worse than just kamikazeing into a project only to realize it's more work than you where ready for or not enough money to finish. Try to focus on some smaller projects to build some motivation, than maybe another project that's more fun but not needed, like new stereo versus replacing a brake booster. 

I get pretty overwhelmed on a major project at first. Especially once you’re staring at a big stack of new parts. 

I find it’s a lot easier to get motivated to deal with vehicle projects when you’re driving the thing. Start with the bare minimum you need to get it operational. Make a list of the things you need to do to get it to that point, get an order of priority, then try to at least look at one thing every day until you get to that point. It doesn’t even need to be something big, as long as you’re making steps in that direction, just put on some wiper blades or change a lightbulb, as long as you’re making steps in the right direction.
The obvious metaphor is a thousand mile hike is a huge journey, but you don’t do it all at once, you just take one step at a time. You break it up into small sections and stop and rest when you need to. And every little step gets you closer to the destination. Sometimes you’ll get to a point that seems impassible, maybe there’s a bridge out, and you’ll have to backtrack and find a detour, add some distance to the trip, and it’ll be discouraging and feel like wasted time. But the reality is you wouldn’t have learned what extra steps you needed to take if you hadn’t gone that far, so none of it is ever really wasted.

And the more you do, the further along you get, the more confident you’ll be and the easier every step will seem as you build up experience. 
Once you’re driving it you might also get to the point some of the tasks are less daunting, and maybe you’ll find you’ll want to go a different direction on something, but you won’t know until you’re using the thing.

IMG_7059.jpeg.762bbaf76cefe70946f014c29c2338ea.jpeg

This is a list I put together nine years ago to get through a safety inspection, a Facebook memory that came up the other day. Part of a bigger project. Its safe and legal now, and I’ve been driving and enjoying it and still haven’t quite got through all the items on the greater list yet. Mostly cosmetic stuff left.

I end up watching some car shows like B*tchin Rides or Texas Metal. One project at a time. I like working in segments also and don’t move past that segment until I get it just the way I want it. 

Mine hasn't been a daily driver for 10 years and has been torn apart for resto-mod for 7 or so with another 2 years (min) to go. 

I figured out a while ago that I had to find satisfaction in enjoying the project - learn new skills, involve your kids (if you have them), etc. 

I take the little bites approach and sometimes just force myself to do things.  Like I've been putting off changing my door pins until today.  I dug in today, took the door off, couldn't get the rusty pins out, now need to buy a new Dremel disc mandel as I broke it trying to cut the pin out.  I started the project today as I had nothing going on this evening, and knew it would rain in the coming days so I was unlikely to drive the truck.  So for now the door sits in the garage until I get to the hardware store tomorrow to buy a new Dremel mandrel.  

This is how many projects go, once it's taken apart, I make it a point to get it back together as soon as I can so it's useable again.  

Also I find that daily driving it gives me the motivation to fix stuff as the not perfect stuff bugs me.  The trick is to have another vehicle one can drive if you screw up enough to need to let it sit for a day or three while you get more parts or tools.

I parked mine in a gravel lot near Portland since 2022. It had some fairly significant electrical issues when I parked it but it was able to tow the parts truck 3k miles from Texas literally the day I left it down in Oregon. 

I am going to go get it, or at least work on it this summer. Motivation might just be a break?