What is this wire behind front bumper?

not out of the main harness.  only need pos and neg and the fog light harness would have the split in it.  I am just guessing though, but not much else that would be in that spot.  I can check the trucks in the morning if no one chimes in sooner. 

2 hours ago, Gjeep said:

Overhead console temp sensor. That's XJ wiring you have up there.

Interesting. Now we know. We recently replaced the headlight wiring harness (twice) on our MJ and had this plug too thinking it was fog lights too based on it's location. The plug just dangles unused every time we've seen it.

52 minutes ago, schardein said:

These are screenshots from the 1991 FSM.  My guess would be the temp sensor for the overhead console.  Second pic shows the fog lights connections.

Screen Shot 2023-12-15 at 9.53.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-15 at 9.52.28 AM.png

Interesting to see where the wiring harness for the headlights is supposed to be. Ours just lays on top of the bumper, probably as a result of all of the clips being broken. 

48 minutes ago, robfg67 said:

If, in fact, that is a temperature sensor for an XJ-something never offered in an MJ, I wonder if it was a mistake on the assembly line.

I'm not certain that those wires were never present on an MJ.  Perhaps it's true for early models.  There were some changes in 1990, for instance, I think that was the year when they were no longer pre-wired for the bed cargo light.  Earlier models were all pre-wired for it.  It stopped in 90 I think.  I know my 91 isn't wire for a cargo light.

As I've gotten older, my memory has started to slip a little.  But I want to say that my 91 has a plug near the windshield washer bottle for a rear window washer pump, something an MJ never had.

If yours is a '90 (last of the AMC era electrics/RENIX) and the wiring diagram is a for a '91 (first year of HO), was the wiring changed/altered that you know of?  If 'No', then I doubt the connector is for an outside temp. sensor (something an MJ never had).

Found the air temp sensor connection in the overhead console wiring diagram.  This is for a 91.  The wire colors don't match but that doesn't surprise me. 

I found a reference to an air temp sensor in the 88 MJ wiring manual, and it had a orange/green wire, but I couldn't find anything in the schematics- probably because it wasn't an option, the fact it was even mentioned was probably a "copy and paste" from the XJ wiring manual.

Screen Shot 2023-12-16 at 7.35.27 PM.png

Outside air temp sensor. That's the only thing in that area that uses the Chrysler Wedgelock connector. I have spotted part of the wiring for it on my 91 as well. Can't remember if it goes all the way down to the mounting location as seen here.

It was offered on higher trim XJs starting in 1990.

There are lots of unused connectors such as this for XJ only features. Can make your life easier if you ever want to add that.