Mystery Engine Bay

Found this 88 but was wondering why this was done to this. Been sitting for 5 years in a barn and I see it’s missing a couple of things from the engine bay, coolant reservoir, even the battery was relocated. Maybe you can spot some other stuff? Is this a norm? Might pick her up later today and give her a home but Just wanted to some input from you all as well if this bay looks “questionable” just from the imagined itself before I attempt to drive her hours back home as a risk.  

2E05A3CA-FF5E-44E9-86D9-67B27A7A676D.jpeg

F00C2BCE-ED0B-456D-BD7A-96B72C1C0906.jpeg

2EE6B1DD-B9E6-4B55-95C5-55E9E3E47766.jpeg

Looks like they went to a open cooling system, but just don't have a overflow bottle. As for the battery my guess is they tried cleaning up the wiring and engine bay. I'd be a bit suspicious on the wiring, the wiring wasn't great to begin with and now who knows where stuff was put.

In a stock engine compartment, there is a LOT of wiring present on the pass inner fender.  None of that is there.  Has it been relocated?  How well was the work done?  I'd be surprised if it ran, but if it does, troubleshooting future issues might be difficult.

Looks like a classic "shaved" engine bay.  Kinda of a nightmare to find everything, but once you do and you're confident everything is up to spec, then it looks good and clears up a lot of engine bay space!  Aside from what everyone else is mentioning, it looks like they probably passed the wires through the firewall somewhere discreet - you definitely need to check for leaks because of any extra holes.

Pretty sure it was originally a manual too, looks like I see a hole on the firewall beside the brake master cylinder where the clutch reservoir would go on a manual. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but as mentioned above, the truck needs to be looked over very closely considering all the modifications it's apparently had. 

And although there is an AC compressor, there are no refrigerant lines connected.  (Although it seems to have an evaporator in the heater box.)

Is there an condenser in the front of the radiator?

Thanks everyone for the reply’s I’m going to ask the owner about these. Definitely looks like it was manual. And yes the wiring is what’s really me question this. He’s offering it for a decent price, but I’m not sure about how’s he’s even getting coolant. Says it’s running And the trans is “crunchy”. I’ll let y’all know the answers! I really want to bring her home and hopefully just be some minor fixes. Any other suggestions are welcomed. 

On 5/13/2021 at 6:58 AM, Minuit said:

A vehicle that has been modified in this way is, in my experience, an absolute nightmare to work on. Consider yourself warned.

Agreed......but if you explore IN DETAIL and document the wiring COMPLETELY, you can create your own wiring diagrams to keep it running correctly.

it would be akin to making the wiring for a custom street rod.  But you need to understand wiring, particularly MJ wiring, well to begin with.