Why Chevy SUCKS

pingpong

Well 2 yrs ago I bought a brand new 2005 Chevy 2500 HD. It had 19 miles on it at delivery. I was the happiest person that day. Fats forward a few months and my rig develops vibes at certain speeds when towing. I take it to the dealer. First time they rebalance the tires... this works and takes care of the vibes when not towing, but they are still there when towing. Well I take it back... and the Service manager tells me that it is cause my truck sits so much and the RADIAL tires are flat spotting. I call up Bridgestone... and they tell me what I all ready know.. Radials don't flat spot. So I go back a third time for this problem and the service manager tells me that I need to balance my trailer tires (HUH) and I need a weight distrubiting hitch.

Next problem was wind noise, coming through the door. They fixed the problem by adjusting the doors. Well 3 months Later they had to do it again. Needless to say the problem keeps coming back, and I jeep geting them to fix it.

Well my latest problem has been rust. Mind you this truck has NEVER been driven in the snow, and is only driven about 150 miles a month unless it has my trailer behind it. I have a bolt that holds the fender in the door truning rust color, and surface rust developing on the frame on the drivers side control arm. Well I went to the dealership, and through GM customer service, and their answer to me was they will replace the door bolt, but until I have rust though on the frame they will not replace the suspension component. Needless to say I was not very pleased with this answer.

Just for the record my truck has less then 15,500 miles on it.

So my only recourse as a consumer is to tell everyone I know about my GM experience. Also as soon as I can save up enough for a new downpayment this truck will be leaving my fleet of vehicles. NOW I know why GM is loosing market share to other makes.

if you end up with a problem that you go back to the dealer three times for the same problem without them resolving the issue at that mileage they will buy the vehicle back for ORIGINAL purchase value.

we talk alot about this in toyota school because if someone comes in with an issue and you don't fix it right the first time, thats 1/3 tries gone.

:eek:

You are correct on GMs lack of performance anymore. Their trucks are no more then cars. The last year of a good Chevy for an actual truck was 1998 IIRC. Once the style turned in for the 2000 model they were no more then cars.

My stepdads 2000 Silverado with tow package can't tow as well as my 91 Eliminator. The 4wd selector switch is known for going out as is the "security center". The fuel gauge has been replaced twice and keeps doing the same thing where it won't read how much gas is in the tank. And all the issues you listed above, plus rust issues at the cab corners even though it has been fixed 3 times.

The new ones are even worse, only bigger versions.

Chevy is at the bottom of the ladder now for trucks, you want a truck go Dodge or Toyo, heck go Ford before Chevy anymore. Now I never thought I would say that.

I just quit my job in sales at the local GM dealer cuz we were getting noone on the lots. The Cryco dealer was packed on days when we had maybe 2 tops.

Alex

if you end up with a problem that you go back to the dealer three times for the same problem without them resolving the issue at that mileage they will buy the vehicle back for ORIGINAL purchase value.

we talk alot about this in toyota school because if someone comes in with an issue and you don't fix it right the first time, thats 1/3 tries gone.

Good luck getting Chevy or Ford to take it back, I know first hand. My dads 97 (i think) F-150 was at the dealer atleast 3 times a month when he first got it, they refused to claim it as lemon and take it back. The dealer I just got done with, GM, was not much better if someone would keep coming in with issues.

I just refuse to buy anything new. I will stick with my old Jeep trucks and 86 K-10.

Alex

surface rust developing on the frame on the drivers side control arm. .

big deal surface rust on the under carage , my 05 rubicon has some spots of surface rust on the under carage so when i get around to it I'm gona go and paint the under side of it , maby u should do the same or get it under coated , as for the rust on the body that would piss me off. and at least it wasnt anything big like my father in laws 06 2500HD that needed a new tranie after less than 4k , or my dads 91 burb that got repainted after a year because the paint was blowing off on the highway .but I'm sorry to hear about the troubles, new car problems suck the big one

You say big deal about the surface rust... I would be OK with it.. if I drove it more. The vehicle spends 95% of its life siiting in my driveway. I shouldn't have to get a new/newer truck undercoated. I have 20 yr old jeeps sitting in my yard with less surface rust on them then my 05 truck.

I test drove the New Tundra at the state fair.. they are nice.. but they only come in 1/2 ton variety. If they offered it in 3/4 ton or 1 ton... I would be shopping for one of them.

From the research I have done so far... it looks like I will be going dodge 1 ton diesel. Ford just isn't inspiring confidience with their warranty issues, and the questionable gas mileage. Don't get me wrong Dodge has a few issues too, but not as many as the Ford, and definately not as many as the Chevy.

My uncle has a 95 or so Dodge Cummins 5 speed 1 ton that he uses on the farm and when I say he uses it I mean it has 350,xxx plus on the motor and only had to replace 5th once and that was awhile back. Now the last time I talk to him he said that the tranny finally needed to be replace and that was like $2500. So when I started looking for a tow rig this was my plan of attack just be willing to pay for it that’s all. And that is still the plan if the motor goes in the Ford I am going to but Cummins in it. And sorry to hear about you luck man that is why I don’t buy new.

Well I just walked around my truck to take pics to document where the rust is. Well when I opened the hood there was 3 bolts under the hood up by the firewall with rust developing on them, and then I opened the passenger door, and the same bolt position on the drivers door that has rust.. it is developing on the passenger side :eek: ... well then I walked back to the tailgate.. and there are 2 more bolts with rust developing.. WTF.

For the Other Chevy owners... is this a common problem? Or is this a problem with my truck alone? I don't think it makes a difference.. but m truck is a Long bed extended cab, nd the color is silver.

When I buy my new truck.. if it is a Dodge.. it will be a manual. I have heard that the auto's don't hold up to a lot of towing.

A friend of mine has a Dodge Cummins with the auto, he tows the crap out of the thing. He helps us tow grain wagons and gravity wagons and tons of equipment around the farm and it has held up fine.

As for the bolts, common problem. We got a few in when I was working at the GM dealer with this issue. Seems to be that the bolts they use are just junk, not Stainless like they should be. From factory they are galvanized and that even doesn't hold up that well once it wears off. Might want to check if you take it back in for em to make sure they are what they should be.

Alex

When I buy my new truck.. if it is a Dodge.. it will be a manual. I have heard that the auto's don't hold up to a lot of towing.

Stock, no, they don't really like it. Stock power they'll hold up for a long time though. The problem is that the CTDs are really easy to get a LOT of power out of, so most people double their horsepower and then are suprised when they cook their trannies.

With little more than a shift kit they'll hold up to heavy towing with a mildly upgraded engine without issues. Go a bit farther and you'll want a new TC. Actually, the stock ones suck so bad that it's worth it to buy a new one right away, but they'll survive without.

The manuals explode just as easily, but are saved because normally you let off when you shift.

There's no real advantage either way.

For the Other Chevy owners... is this a common problem? Or is this a problem with my truck alone? I don't think it makes a difference.. but m truck is a Long bed extended cab, nd the color is silver.

I have a 04 Sierra 1/2 ton reg cab with about 30k and have not had problems with rusting on the frame nor any bolts. Its been nothing but a solid truck other than the tail seal in my trany leaking and the "normal" intermediate steering shaft clunking.

my parents had a 1993 ford taurus wagon in the last year that we had it it was in the shop for 8 out of the 12 months in the year head gaskets blew at 53,000 miles , when they first bought it the rear window would not roll down, they fixed it but then when we got it back the front seat had a sqeack in it and the sale rep. told us face to face that we bought a ford and not a mercedes tehy ordered in a new car with the same color interior and swapped the seat out and put the bad seat in the new car and sold it that way

I don't care wether or not I bought a 13k car or a 30 k truck.. I want what I paid for. A vehicle rusting after just 2 yrs is just bad buisness. If it was a mechanical breakge (trany going bad) and they fixed it I would be happy. The problem is it is cosmetic. I guess GM doesn't care what there vehicles look like.

Just to clarify things.. The bolts are painted body color, and are turning Rust brown in both doors and in the tailgate. The bolts under the hood don't look like galvanized or stainless.

What also disturbed me was the custumer service reps comment that " it has to have rust through for them to replace a suspension component" That would mean that I would be driving an unsafe vehicle that was doomed to crash.

• 9 months later...

Might be a problem with ur individual truck...my 04 HD 2500 Duramax 4x4 has had ZERO issues. Plus...it's awesome to change an air intake...exhaust and programmer and be pushin 650 + HP and 900 + FT./LBS TQ ! MY best mpg is at around 63 mph...23 mpg! It decreases a lil bit when I'm playing with the programmer tho! Duramax/ALLY combo has had the 100k mile warranty since it's inception in 01....which is a bonus as well.

I hope you get your issues resolved....I've had Chevy Trucks....HD's...for my last 4 trucks and haven't had any issues. Good Luck. You get bad seeds with every brand nowadays....tho...I've heard all the horror stories with every make and model.

It usually boils down to whether or not you have a good dealership and even a good salesman can help you push things through. I'd be looking for a new dealer and salesman if I was you. It also helps to know the parts/service managers too

Old thread, eh? All the company trucks where I work are newer chevys. Mostly at least. One of them (an 05) is rusted to all hell already. Some of the other ones are getting bad too. And they all have blown speakers (but that might be just because they are company trucks).

At work we have one 92 gmc 2500 and one 05 gmc, both are 2500HD Sierra's. The 92 blew a tranny at 31000 and blew the engine at 116000 and is a rust bucket (thats not all of its problems). The 05 has 7200 miles and the gas gauge is already broken as is the passenger door striker, the damn thing broke right in pieces when we closed the door once this winter. It also is showing signs of rust, the tranny growls and all of the electrical is gone to $#!& (many if not all of the exterior lighting ground straps are corroded). Neither have solid axles ( I thought heavy duty trucks should have this standard. Not some IFS junk, IMHO).

I have a 1994 Suburban with 165,000 of Ohio road salt miles on it. Just last year it started showing cosmetic rust (not rot through). From what I understand, the body is all galvanized steel and the bottom is electro coated with a rust resistant primer. I wonder what they changed since then.

I do know the older (square) style Suburbans before 1992 were notorious rust buckets.

i coulda told you you were gonna have problems with it whe it was jsut sittin in the lot... typical GM customer service and enginerring quality. after all CHEVROLET...Constantly Having Every Vehicle Recalled Over Lousy Engineering Technology

Stock, no, they don't really like it. Stock power they'll hold up for a long time though. The problem is that the CTDs are really easy to get a LOT of power out of, so most people double their horsepower and then are suprised when they cook their trannies.

With little more than a shift kit they'll hold up to heavy towing with a mildly upgraded engine without issues. Go a bit farther and you'll want a new TC. Actually, the stock ones suck so bad that it's worth it to buy a new one right away, but they'll survive without.

The manuals explode just as easily, but are saved because normally you let off when you shift.

There's no real advantage either way.

The manual transmissions have a higher torque rating and to get the HO Cummins you have to get a stick.

Stick is the way to go.

You don't even want to know about an experience my friend is having with a 2006 Sequoia and brake/abs issues, and the half dozen times he went to the Toyota dealer for the same problem. They offered him market value which would leave him shy over $7,000 on the car loan. He is working with Toyota Corporate to make up the difference but it is not an easy process. My point is I don't think this is soley a GM problem, the market sucks right now and no manufacturer can build a perfect vehicle. Trying to get satisfaction on a vehicle that is difficult to re-sell narrows the dealers options to help.

I feel for you pingpong, you paid a lot of $$ for that truck and like anyone else that buys a HD truck you expect it to perform and have longevity. My brother works at a Nissan dealership and he says he sees the same type of thing on hard to re-sell vehicles. You might get the dealer to buy it back at market price and try to have GM make up the difference? With rust issues I don't think it is something that can ever be fixed so you deserve a new vehicle or be reimbursed the money you shelled out.

man, reading these posts :headpop:

i not in the market for a new pick up. my mj works fine. but paying big money for some truck with these issues would get me going. i don't need

any more anger problems.

i'll fight over a penny.

:popcorn: