• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

1 Year Update - "Not Dead" edition

For those who might care, I am, in fact, not dead. However, a combination of a physically stressful job with long hours, trying to get hired somewhere that isn't my current job, and a lack of things that I've done that are really relevant to this forum in any way really put the damper on my activity.

I might have some Volvo content and maybe even some radio content to come. Jeep stuff might have to wait.

On 7/3/2022 at 8:38 PM, Minuit said:

For those who might care, I am, in fact, not dead. However, a combination of a physically stressful job with long hours, trying to get hired somewhere that isn't my current job, and a lack of things that I've done that are really relevant to this forum in any way really put the damper on my activity.

I might have some Volvo content and maybe even some radio content to come. Jeep stuff might have to wait.

I was just wondering about you actually. We’ve missed your tech comments for sure! Glad to hear you’re ok :L:

Glad to hear your "new normal" is going ok. The online job market is growing daily. Do you think you might have an opportunity there for a less physically demanding job? 

Just remember, people like my son and I can learn from your incredible knowledge. Plus, who doesn't want to read about a military grade 1911 and a sweet CZ on the same post page! :L:

• 1 month later...

Guess who has two thumbs and quit his job a couple of weeks ago? And now actually has time to do stuff?

Shook the dust off the 91 today too to pick up some good stuff for its disappointing bigger brother. Lucky finds include a grey tilt column with a good leather steering wheel, 3/4s of a good set of 98 ZJ seats, 98 tilt forward XJ seats(!) which will donate their tilting mechanisms to the ZJ seats, a cosmetically perfect climate control panel, and more.

98zjseat.jpg.71b8050e20eeac1ae077667914dc933f.jpg

On 7/3/2022 at 9:38 PM, Minuit said:

Personally, I'm of the opinion that updates on your condition and progress are highly relevant to this forum.

And, with that in mind, I would suggest (as I'm sure you know) that stress and long hours are probably not an ideal combination for you. If a job switch isn't in the cards, you might consider hitting up your employer with a request for an accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act. The accommodation requested would be normal hours, for example.

The good thing about that is that, once you mention the ADA, they can't really fire you without leaving themselves wide open to a federal lawsuit over discrimination. Employers are required to make reasonable accommodation for conditions under the ADA.

9 hours ago, Eagle said:

Personally, I'm of the opinion that updates on your condition and progress are highly relevant to this forum.

And, with that in mind, I would suggest (as I'm sure you know) that stress and long hours are probably not an ideal combination for you. If a job switch isn't in the cards, you might consider hitting up your employer with a request for an accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act. The accommodation requested would be normal hours, for example.

The good thing about that is that, once you mention the ADA, they can't really fire you without leaving themselves wide open to a federal lawsuit over discrimination. Employers are required to make reasonable accommodation for conditions under the ADA.

You're absolutely right. I spent the last 5 months wearing myself out. Just to clear stuff up a bit: My degree is in mechanical engineering, and that is what I have always intended to end up in. For reasons that basically amounted to "I need money and I need it right now" I started working in industrial contracting, essentially installing machinery with a little bit of maintenance on the side. It's only tangentially related to what I actually wanted to do, and the only reason I stuck with it for so long was that I figured the experience would look good on my resume. Last month, I took a week off for some required training classes, realized how much better I felt even though I still had to get up early and drive 2 hours a day, and decided to quit. Ever since, I've been applying for various engineering positions.

So next month I'm taking a vacation to go see some family up north and I'm not going back to work until I have an engineering job. In the mean time I'm going to do the things I want to do.

• 3 months later...
15 hours ago, Minuit said:

I interviewed at a large aluminum recycling company today, and I barely got my shoes off before I got a call from the recruiter saying that the company was ready to prepare an offer.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

I'm gonna be an in-juh-near!

Congrats!  But I spel it in-juh-neer.  Hey, be your own man!  

The offer is inked, and I've chosen my start date! This is going to be a big step up for me in so many ways it's not even funny.

Anyone on here live or know anyone who lives in northern Alabama? Areas to avoid or look into? Relocation is very likely and will be to the Muscle Shoals area. I see some nice places (with Jeep houses) within 10 minutes of work, but am willing to look into other areas too.

Since this is officially a firearms thread, I don't think I ever showed this one off...

mO5MhFZl.jpg

One of 650 semi-auto, collapsible stock CETME-LC carbines to ever be made by a company called MarColMar for the US market. This was the compact version of the Spanish service rifle during the 1980s, and due to shoddy quality control (and magazines) it sucked. This is a re-engineered, product improved version made specifically for the civilian market using a mix of new production and surplus parts. It shoots 5.56 and takes most AR-15 magazines. It's a roller delayed blowback system like the H&K G3, which makes it very soft shooting, and gives it an absolutely nuclear case ejection pattern. Mine has the optional picatinny rail, and a barrel extension to bring its "correct" 12.5" barrel out to 16", which can be removed in the event I want to turn it into an SBR and have the original barrel length.

8 hours ago, Minuit said:

The offer is inked, and I've chosen my start date! This is going to be a big step up for me in so many ways it's not even funny.

Anyone on here live or know anyone who lives in northern Alabama? Areas to avoid or look into? Relocation is very likely and will be to the Muscle Shoals area. I see some nice places (with Jeep houses) within 10 minutes of work, but am willing to look into other areas too.

Since this is officially a firearms thread, I don't think I ever showed this one off...

mO5MhFZl.jpg

One of 650 semi-auto, collapsible stock CETME-LC carbines to ever be made by a company called MarColMar for the US market. This was the compact version of the Spanish service rifle during the 1980s, and due to shoddy quality control (and magazines) it sucked. This is a re-engineered, product improved version made specifically for the civilian market using a mix of new production and surplus parts. It shoots 5.56 and takes most AR-15 magazines. It's a roller delayed blowback system like the H&K G3, which makes it very soft shooting, and gives it an absolutely nuclear case ejection pattern. Mine has the optional picatinny rail, and a barrel extension to bring its "correct" 12.5" barrel out to 16", which can be removed in the event I want to turn it into an SBR and have the original barrel length.

Glad to hear you're doing well and things are looking up.   I know I've benefited from your knowledge sharing about multiple things.  

I love the CETME rifles.  Saw them in use in Spain in the early 90s and a few years later with the Japanese Ground self defense force.  I regret not buying one back then when they were all over Shotgun News for cheap.   Yours sure seems to be a nice example.  

• 4 months later...

To all of those I've been unintentionally blowing off... there's a reason.

95949bb5c3f722da7cbdc651044b42c3-uncropp

The 90+ minute drive each way was getting to me. I'll gradually be bringing stuff over. The '91 MJ will be coming with, the '89 will be staying at home to become my dad's project.