Minuit

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, as of the morning of the 1st we are back to square 1.25 again :( Things are better, but not enough better.

Can't think of anything that could've brought it on. I got a call from a nurse earlier today to ask if I maybe had too much to drink for the new year. 

:jump: Good one. Not only do I not drink at all, but I was in bed by 10PM the night before. But maybe this is a common thing with seizure patients - alcohol is one of those things that you're often encouraged to give up along with the diagnosis because it can be a trigger.

Oh yeah, and antihistamines. I was told flat out that I could never take Benadryl ever again. As it happens, I have a nasty ragweed allergy. The universe does have a sense of irony.

Staring spells are still gone though.

Well dang.

I have a guy that works for me, the only triggers he knows of are lack of sleep and illness. He can go years without a seizure, but he has warning of his seizures since he became an adult.

You'll get there.

• 3 months later...

I was going to post something on the 8th to mark a whole year of my situation, but this is close enough I guess.

Last seizure was still the 1st of the year. I've been using the last month or so to slowly... sloooooowly transition into things I'd normally find myself doing, which includes getting my diet back in check and occasionally doing things that require physical exertion.

I've been trying to figure out if there's been any long-term changes in the way I act, feel, or engage with the world. I can think of a few things:

Things that I've been told to change or not do:

- Don't take antihistamines, which sucks as an allergy sufferer in what may be the allergy capital of the world

- Don't drink alcohol or use any recreational drugs, which I didn't do before anyway

- Be especially careful about my hydration level, especially during any kind of physical exertion

I've taken a couple of pretty hard knocks to the head as a result of this, including what I'm pretty sure was a major concussion the first time. So I've constantly been worried about any brain damage I might have picked up and what effects that might have. Of course, I doubt I'd really be able to tell, but across the board I would say I'm just not quite as "sharp" as I used to be - It seems like I always have a little bit of trouble finding the right word to finish a sentence, and I'm just slower than I used to be overall.

Hopefully my personality hasn't changed. That's something I really doubt I'd be able to tell. Kind of relying on you guys for this one to make sure I haven't turned into a raging a$$hole.

Could be worse, I guess. :dunno:

I stopped antihistamines years ago for a generic of Flonase. :L:  works soooooo much better and is cheaper. :D  takes time to build, so it's a daily thing, not an emergency thing.  I only take half the suggested dose so I could step it up if needed. 

7 hours ago, Pete M said:

I stopped antihistamines years ago for a generic of Flonase. :L:  works soooooo much better and is cheaper. :D  takes time to build, so it's a daily thing, not an emergency thing.  I only take half the suggested dose so I could step it up if needed. 

Already got it covered there. I find it works well enough as long as I don't forget to use it.

• 1 month later...

Jeremy - I just saw this thread tonight as I haven’t been on the forum much since I sold my ‘91.  It’s great to hear that things seem to be headed in the right direction in spite of the bumps along the way (no pun intended).

Saying a prayer for your full recovery and safety.  Hang in there, brother!

Home stretch now. Two and a half weeks to go.

I've been working on getting things back to normal - working on cars, exercise, etc. I'm starting to feel increasingly like I did before this all happened. I even "returned to work" for a little while - if you can call a silly training class that. I'm even going to the junkyard this week.

To commemorate the good news thus far (and hopefully in the future) - I did let something follow me home that I know at least a few of you might appreciate, and I know at least one of you is extensively familiar with.

5K3iIlml.jpg

Colt 45? I can’t read what it says behind COLT. I really want one of those and a Smith and Wesson 1911. For now though, I’m think a Smith and Wesson SD9VE would hold me over. 

8 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

Colt 45? I can’t read what it says behind COLT. I really want one of those and a Smith and Wesson 1911. For now though, I’m think a Smith and Wesson SD9VE would hold me over. 

The slide reads:

Government Model (meaning a 5" barrel and full length grip), then Colt, then Automatic, Caliber .45. It's a Combat Elite model and has that marking on the other side. The markings on this gun are very restrained and sometimes hard to get a good picture of, which is a feature in my book.

I really, really thought about a Delta Elite which would've basically been the 10mm version of this gun for a bigger bang, but decided to be an adult... for now. I also handled the FN 509, which felt really good in my hands.

8 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Nothing beats a good ole 1911. Wonder how the trigger pull is on it.

It's excellent. About a 5-6lb break, adjustable overtravel, and an extremely short reset, as you'd expect of a 1911.

Funny thing is, I wasn't really a 1911 guy until I picked that particular example up in my local gun shop. But upon further inspection, I think I know why I liked it - the grip angle, sights, control placement, and even (single action) trigger pull are all similar to my CZ P-07, which I shoot well.

ecVBXcOl.jpg

Wouldn't mind if this stayed a firearms related thread rather than a "what's got Minuit down today" related thread, honestly.

5 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

Did you know that you can fit 1 bag of golf clubs and 2 shotguns behind the seat of a bench seat MJ with the seat all the way back?

I haven't looked, but surely there's a meme where someone gets so frustrated trying to hit the ball that they just give up and shoot it.

7 hours ago, Minuit said:

I really, really thought about a Delta Elite which would've basically been the 10mm version of this gun for a bigger bang, but decided to be an adult... for now.

have you shot a .40 yet?  I enjoy shooting a .45, I hate shooting a .40.  too much jump for my tastes (at least in the Glock version). 

7 hours ago, Minuit said:

Wouldn't mind if this stayed a firearms related thread rather than a "what's got Minuit down today" related thread, honestly.

only if you promise for some health updates too. :D  I like to know how my friends are doing.  :L: 

17 minutes ago, Pete M said:

have you shot a .40 yet?  I enjoy shooting a .45, I hate shooting a .40.  too much jump for my tastes (at least in the Glock version). 

I've shot a couple of .40s, including a Hi-Point. Snappy, but manageable. I'd only consider 10mm in something big and heavy like a 1911. Maybe one of the all metal Smith and Wessons, those are cool too.

If I end up buying a 10 it would be as a range toy and maaaaybe an occasional carry piece if I ever was camping or something in an area with dangerous wildlife.

16 minutes ago, Pete M said:

only if you promise for some health updates too. :D  I like to know how my friends are doing.  :L: 

Well, I'm hoping for it to be so boring on that front that there ends up being no need for the health reports. :thumbsup: Unless you want me to document how well I'm doing on losing all the weight I gained over the last year :laugh:

2 minutes ago, Minuit said:

Well, I'm hoping for it to be so boring on that front that there ends up being no need for the health reports. :thumbsup:

that's what we're all hoping  :grinyes:  nice, boring "all is well" updates. :D  

• 3 weeks later...